Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Let's Talk About: Top Ten Lists > Favorite Science Fiction Authors

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments What are your top ten favorite Science fiction Authors?

message 2: by Sans (new)

Sans Jack McKinney
Gena Showalter
Lisanne Norman (I've read only one of her books but it was really good)
Justin Richards (the Doctor Who books he's written are awesome)
Ray Bradbury
Douglas Adams

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sans, My kids are watching Doctor Who right now. Netflix has a ton of episodes we can get through the Wii. It's been a Doctor Who marathon around here for the past week. :)

message 4: by Sans (new)

Sans *_*

I finished series five at Gena's a couple weeks ago and have wanted to re-watch them again ever since. Are your kids watching Old Skool or New Skool (Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith) Doctor Who?

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments New Skool. My mom is hooked as well which makes me laugh.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments I don't go for science fiction... Something about the future setting just really freaks me out. Couldn't even stand to watch the movie Avatar...

message 7: by Sans (new)

Sans It brings my heart joy beyond measure that my friends are discovering Doctor Who. Which Doctor and companion are you watching? Are you as in love with David Tennant and Matt Smith as I am? Amy Pond became the ideal for how my heroine looks in the book my friend and I are writing.

message 8: by Sans (new)

Sans Lauren, I'm never content with the present. I don't read many contemporary books (and those are almost exclusively paranormal, erotica or very steamy romance-that-borders-on-erotica, never fiction). Nearly all the books I read are historical, fantasy, sci-fi. Mostly historical, but I have an unhealthy obsession with time travel. Yes, and Scots too, but that's a given.

What is it about the future that freaks you out?

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Sans wrote: "Lauren, I'm never content with the present. I don't read many contemporary books (and those are almost exclusively paranormal, erotica or very steamy romance-that-borders-on-erotica, never fiction)..."

I'm scared of the future, what lies in the future. My future I guess.

Techy and robotic-type things tend to set me off track too. Something about advances in technology makes it all feel wrong. As we advance in the future, I seem to find things missing. People are so focused on technology they seem to loose sight of what really matters. Does anyone really find beauty in nature anymore, simple & beautiful things? It bothers me. I think that someday everyone will just loose everything important. Then they'll all see and it will be much too late.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Does that make sense?

message 11: by Sans (last edited Sep 03, 2010 09:00AM) (new)

Sans It absolutely does.

I can see how things like that would worry you. I think I focus on the "fantastical" side of the future in sci-fi. Stuff that will most likely never happen.

message 12: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sans asked, "Which Doctor and companion are you watching? Are you as in love with David Tennant and Matt Smith as I am? Amy Pond became the ideal for how my heroine looks in the book my friend and I are writing."

We're on David Tennant still, but haven't seen Matt Smith yet. We did see Christopher Eccleston and the episode he became Tennant. The two personalities were so different. Tennant has had 3 women sidekicks and is on his fourth. I don't know how many episodes are left until he switches again. So far the werewolf episode is my favorite. Gee, I wonder why that is? :)

message 13: by Sans (new)

Sans Mmmmmm, David Tennant. *shivers* Delicious. But I'm kinda going hard-core for Matt Smith too.

David did six "specials" where he didn't have a fixed companion. I was BAWLING during the episode when he changed into Matt Smith. Hell, I cried during a few of Matt's episodes as well. The one with Van Gogh killed me.

message 14: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I guess we'll have to wait to see that episode. I wonder if we need to order Matt's season through the normal DVD mean (if it's on DVD yet). Did Matt just become the Doctor this season?

message 15: by Sans (new)

Sans Yeah, this was Matt's first season (just ended on BBC America last month I believe). It's not out on DVD yet but I pre-ordered the box set, it's due out near Thanksgiving.

Can you hook your computer up to your TV? If so, PM me, I have a solution for you.

message 16: by An (new)

An Ihaven't read any of the dr Who books though I've seen the series. Are they any good?

message 17: by Becca (new)

Becca Rose (beccarose86) | 5 comments I love Scott Sigler. His books Infected (Infected, #1) by Scott Sigler and Contagious (Infected, #2) by Scott Sigler are my favorite

message 18: by Suzy (new)

Suzy Taylor | 9 comments Finally! The sequel to The Companion, by Carolann Hays is FREE for the next few days, then all her books are on sale for a few days after that. Been waiting for this sequel.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZ96P7W

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth | 502 comments My favorite sf authors far are Ray Bradbury (especially The Martian Chronicles, but also other short stories), Ursula Le Guin (The Left Hand of Darkness and some short stories) and Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). Also, I love The Time Machine but never got around to reading the rest of Wells's sf. I have Connie Willis, Octavia Butler, Joanna Russ, Samuel Delany, Poul Anderson, Vernor Vinge and CJ Cherryh on my tbr list.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Infected (other topics)
Contagious (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Scott Sigler (other topics)