Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > September Read - Gil's All Fright Diner *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Here we go...

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments What's that sound? I think I hear Zuzanna running to get in here.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) A Cthulu worshiper,a diner with issues and two wandering guys that can fix it all in a humorous story, what's not to love?

message 4: by Agent 99 (new)

Agent 99  (agent99formerlykd) It came in sooner than I expected from the library system. I read it over the weekend!

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I've got my copy at home and guess I should start it. But I just started Grubs by the 33 A.D. author and it's pretty good fun.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I like this book so far. The writing is excellent, and it's pretty funny.

message 7: by Agent 99 (new)

Agent 99  (agent99formerlykd) It was funny. The second half is better than the first.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I'm creeping up to the halfway mark now. I'm looking forward to the second half.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments The book was defiantly more entertaining than creepy. I liked Tammy's character a lot and found her and Chad to be a funny couple.

message 10: by Agent 99 (new)

Agent 99  (agent99formerlykd) I was particularly fond of the Magic 8 ball! :)~

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Kd wrote: "I was particularly fond of the Magic 8 ball! :)~"

Were you surprised who it was?

message 12: by Agent 99 (new)

Agent 99  (agent99formerlykd) I was, yes. I guess I should have seen that coming, but I didn't!

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I was surprised, as well. But, yeah, should have seen it coming. That's one thing I liked about the book, though, how everything connected.

message 14: by Bob (new)

Bob (ilovepie) | 143 comments I really enjoyed the book, it was very original, really funny and at times even a tad bit scary. The only gripe had with it was it was a little to short.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I loved Napoleon the dog. He was, perhaps, one of my favorite characters, even though he wasn't in it that much. Does anyone know if the author serialized this book at all?

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Jason wrote: "I loved Napoleon the dog. He was, perhaps, one of my favorite characters, even though he wasn't in it that much. Does anyone know if the author serialized this book at all?"

Not thus far that I've sen but he writes other books and they're said to be just as good.

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Cool. I think I'm going to continue reading this author.

message 18: by Savanah (new)

Savanah Andrews (savanahwhit) | 14 comments I didnt think I would like this book at all when I first got it from the library. Turns out I couldnt put it down and I did wish it was longer too.

message 19: by Agent 99 (new)

Agent 99  (agent99formerlykd) I was rather surprised by it as well. I think I'm gonna look up some of the other books the author wrote.

message 20: by Maicie (new)

Maicie | -62 comments I just started. Very funny.

******spoiler pages 1-55*********
zombie cows? What's not to love?

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments I had a good laugh over that part, Maicie

message 22: by Lee (last edited Sep 08, 2010 01:46PM) (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Entertaning,humorous take on werewolves,vampires,ghosts & zombie type creatures. Doesn't get much better than that. Some really great lines. One of my favorite's, the start of chapter 23....

"Reality is like a fruitcake. Pretty enough to look at but with all sorts of nasty things lurking just beneath the surface."

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Lee wrote: "Entertaning,hunorous take on werewolves,vampires,ghosts & zombie type creatures. Doesn't get much better than that. Some really great lines. One of my favorite's, the start of chapter 23....

"Re..."

Exactly he keeps getting you with zingers like that or some odd bit that just strikes you funny. I do hope he writes more about this world. I've yet to get to his other books. Not sure why.

message 24: by Maicie (new)

Maicie | -62 comments Inished-fay.

Fun book.

message 25: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'm glad you all enjoyed it. My husband read it and liked it a lot. I got past the first chapter or two and am just not in the mood for horror comedy right now. Maybe some other time.

message 26: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) I read this book last year. I loved it. It was so much fun. I want to read some of his other books but just haven't gotten to it yet. As for what Jason said about serializing this... I WISH! The first thing I thought when I finished it was that I'd love to read more adventures of Duke and Earl.

Tressa, when you do get in the mood for horror comedy, you will not be disappointed in this one.

message 27: by Dante (last edited Sep 23, 2010 07:32PM) (new)

Dante | 1 comments Can anyone suggest any other comedic takes on Lovecraftian mythos?

message 28: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 177 comments Scream for Jeeves, definitely! If you can imagine the worlds of Bertie Wooster and Cthulhu colliding, in a mash-up of Lovecraft and Wodehouse's prose style. It's incredibly well-done and very funny.

There's also a menu from the Lovecraft Cafe in a collection called The Surgeon's Tale by Jeff Vandermeer and Cat Rambo.

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Thanks Cathy!

message 30: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1646 comments Dante wrote: "Can anyone suggest any other comedic takes on Lovecraftian mythos?"

How about Brian Keene's short story, ‘“The King”, in: Yellow,’, which was collected in Stephen Jones' anthology, The mammoth book of best new horror, volume sixteen (London: Robinson) in 2005? I thoroughly enjoyed this Lovecraftian tale both for its horror and its humour! And there's a nice joke about who the King is in Keene’s story!