The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Fun & Games > Great opening lines.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Garret (new)

Garret (ggannuch) "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."
Firebreak Firebreak by Richard Stark
Richard Stark

This is a favorite opening line of mine. Do you have one?

message 2: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1347 comments I'll have to come back with one, Garret. Good idea!

message 3: by John (new)

John | 1 comments "The police? Again?"

This is from my novel, "The Benefactor."

It's just been published in a Kindle edition.

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Love it, John! :-)

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 71 comments I wish I could remember the exact words, but an opening that has stuck with me is the beginning of David Martin's Lie to Me. (I read it a long time ago and gave it away b/c it was so creepy so I can't quote the line directly.) It's starts with a guy sitting quietly "holding her hand." It becomes evident after a page or two that you have to read this line very literally.

message 6: by Garret (new)

Garret (ggannuch) "He sits in the woods holding her hand."

Lie to Me by David Martin David Martin David Martin

message 7: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Eww.... ;-)

message 8: by Joe (new)

Joe Ohlenbusch (eatatjoes90) | 19 comments "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."
From the Gunslinger by Stephen King, Book one of the Dark Tower series.
Awesome. Great start to an incredible series.

message 9: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

"I am nothing but a corpse now, a body at the bottom of a well."

My Name Is Red
My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk

message 10: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

"So that's settled then, we bury her alive in the iron bridle. That'll keep her tongue still."

Company of Liars

Company of Liars by Karen Maitland

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 71 comments "A human body starts to decompose four minutes after death."

The Chemistry of Death

message 12: by Ana (new)

Ana Lopes Miura  (nicolasix) "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again".- Rebecca

"Mother died today. Or maybe yesterday, I don't know."- The Stranger

And my FAVE:

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, General Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude.

message 13: by Penny (new)

Penny (graveyard-gal) | 17 comments "No one saw him walk through the woods; no one saw what he was carrying. A modest bruden for a grown man, yet is caused him difficulty...."

The Waters Edge, Karen Fossum

message 14: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 94 comments "The day my grandmother exploded..."

The Crow Road, Iain Banks.

message 15: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 234 comments "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."
J.D. Salinger
The Catcher in the Rye

message 16: by David (new)

David (rapierhomme) "On the third day of their honeymoon, infamous environmental activist Stewie Woods and his new bride, Annabel Bellotti, were spiking trees in the forest when a cow exploded and blew them up. Until then, their marriage had been happy." - C.J. Box, Savage Run

Savage Run (Joe Pickett, #2) by C.J. Box