SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > September Author of the Month!

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
This months Author is.....

James Patterson!

Here you can say what you are reading by him, if you are enjoying it, etc :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok so I'm reading The Angel Experiment

message 3: by Naz (last edited Sep 01, 2010 10:48AM) (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments I've never read anything of his. Please don't shoot me :)
Which one should I start with?

message 4: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I'm going to read Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson when it one day arrives :(

message 5: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Naz his best rated book is probably The Angel Experiment. But I enjoy his Woman's Murder Club series (big mystery fan here tho). And it starts with 1st to Die :)

message 6: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments 1st to Die looks like it would keep me reading all night so I'm going with that one. Thanks Lu :)

message 7: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
No problem :)

Hope you enjoy it!

message 8: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2452 comments Mod
I'll be reading:
Jack & Jill

It's been on my list for a while, so might as well join the challenge.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Lu you're going to love that book! Its so different to his other stuff.

Naz, first to die is very good, but then you'll have to read all of them (you'll get addicted :))

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
Im going to give The Angel Experiment a go. It got some bad reviews though so Im going to try my best to go in with an open mind!

message 11: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Lol good luck! There is a chance you will like it :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading it now, its different to his other work...

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather Tribe (tribefox) I picked up "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" and When the Wind Blows by James Patterson . Ive already begun Wind the Wind Blows. So far, very riveting. It's my first read of James Patterson.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh Heather you're going to like him I think!

Im half way through Angel Experiment and so far not blown away. I know it sound weird but I just don't like Max the main character. There is just something annoying about her. Maybe she will grow on me?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Lauren, I know how you feel... the way she speaks anoys me (when she calls Angel her baby)... I dont know.

Also, I read the book, liked it fine, but I just cant imagine James Patterson writing it, if you know what I mean?

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Perhaps one of his co-authors wrote it.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

It doesnt look like they did, it doesnt include any other name. I read The Lakehouse as well and that was much better to me

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I’m a bit suspicious of Patterson – he’s more like a brand than an author now. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of his books are written mostly by other people who have made legal agreements not to reveal the true authorship.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Mmmmmmmm...

You might have a point Lauren.

Oooooh I want to invite you to a new group, if you havent been invited yet :)

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Is it the Margaret Atwood Q&A? I joined the group over the weekend, but I wish I'd had more notice so I could have done some reading beforehand! I made two posts so far though - looking forward to her answers.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! I just wanted to invite you when I saw you're already a memeber...
I just feel a little stupid in the group because all these people who comment comment with these really intelegent stuff!

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, a lot of them have studied Atwood, and some have followed her blogs, interviews, speeches, etc. quite closely as well. I'm trying to do a little of that now and to try and remember what I wrote about her work at varsity, but I'm feeling a bit lost too. Why couldn't they have told us earlier? I would have re-read something.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading Oryx and Crake now, but I'm not like most of those people who go in like major intencely about the stuff... I read to read and not to be going into detail and making study notes of stuff, and it feels to me like I should have :(

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith LOL, don't worry, it's not an obligation :) True,some books, like Atwood's, have more to offer than just a story and you'll get much more out of them if you reflect on them, make notes, read further etc. but if you just want to relax and enjoy the narrative and the characters there's nothing wrong with that.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Lauren :)
I really enjoy her books, but not for the intense insightive reasons some others do. :)

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith You should check out some of the other questions and answers though, as well as some of the speeches and interviews people linked, it's very interesting, and sometimes it makes the book more interesting too. There's quite a lot on Oryx and Crake.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I read some of it over the weekend.
Oryx and Crake and the Handmaids tale seem to be some of the most popular.

What makes The Handmaids Tale even more interesting is that she wrote it in 1985! And she already had such visions in her mind... amazing!

message 29: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Lol you guys are fangirls :P

Lauren wrote: "I’m a bit suspicious of Patterson – he’s more like a brand than an author now. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of his books are written mostly by other people who have made legal agreements not to ..."

I know what you mean! When I got to the end of The Angel experiment I was really annoyed! I had sat through this whole whinny book (admittedly it was a quick read) and there was no ending! It was just a big advert to buy the next book, go on the blog, get a novelty mug and later catch the movie- if you get my meaning. I think James Patterson may be the McDonald’s of authors. :D

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL love your comment Lauren!
Or maybe Patterson was just aming at the younger generation, I think a 13 or 14 year old might like it, its written more in their language, I think thats what anoyed me the most

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Lauren wrote: I think James Patterson may be the McDonald’s of authors."

Hahaha, nice one :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Lauren, glad to see you're here...
I just wanted to ask you if you know of any other places that I can download books?

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, I found one or two other sites not too long ago, but I don't remember what they're called, and only bookmarked them on my home PC. I'll let you know this evening. Anything in particular you're looking for?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Lauren!
I've gone to 4share, but whenever I search for any book or author it says they have nothing which is impossible as I've gotten some books of the same authors from them!
I'm looking for 2 books actually:

The Confessions of Catherine de Medici and
The Borgia Bride.

I'd really appreciate it Lauren :)

message 36: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Well they won't necessarily have everything by a particular author - it depends on what people upload. And some books just aren't available.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

But the weird thing is I went to search like James Patterson just to check, and they said they have nothing of him, but there must be a mistake because previously I've uploaded several of his books

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, that's odd... Perhaps what you've uploaded is in personal storage and you haven't made it available to all users? (just making a totally wild guess here; I haven't uploaded anything myself).

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm hoping that there is just something wrong with the site and they'll be fixing it soon :)

message 40: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
It happens, if you type the author it says nothing, if you type the book name, you find it lol

Just try both, and separately :)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

:( I hate struggling like this...
Its the stupid computer at work that sux

message 42: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I won't get to Patterson this month :(
My book hasn't arrived yet :)

But i will read him when it does :)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

It doesnt matter Lu, Patterson is a great read any time

So have we nominated someone for October yet?

message 44: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I think Richelle Mead won...

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh now I remember hehe

message 46: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2452 comments Mod
Oops. I also didn't get to read the Patterson I planned to read. Did read the mediocre "Final warning though", so I guess that makes up for it.