Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

September/October 2009 > Shanghai Girls - by Lisa See

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LynnB (last edited Jan 05, 2011 04:43PM) (new)

LynnB Shanghai Girls by Lisa See Shanghai Girls by Lisa See

Shanghai Girls is a story wonderfully rich in description of life in China and of immigration to and life in America. The main characters, Pearl and May, are strong representatives the bonds of sisterhood and the misunderstandings that are so easy to come by within family. They come through many hardships, but the bonds of being sisters remains. The author wrote in very realistic detail and used thorough research in the portrayals of the Angel Island immigration center and China City, making history come alive. I gave it 4 stars.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I need to make time for this. I bought it last year.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie This has been on my to-read list for awhile and I am finally getting around to it this weekend to complete a task for the seasonal reading challenge. More to come!

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I'm reading this now, along with a few other books.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I am really enjoying the story of the two sisters, Pearl and May, so far. I feel like I have read other books with the same theme, but I am not too far into their story yet. It's a quick read; the writing style is rather simple and straightforward. I can see why many people enjoy it!

message 6: by Patti (new)

Patti | 137 comments This a really good book. I enjoyed it very much. Lisa See is a wonderful author.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Shanghai Girls kept me turning the pages. The story of sisters, Pearl and May, was compelling; but sometimes a little predictable. I enjoyed learning about the history of Shanghai, Chinese assimilation into the US, Angel Island and paper sons. It's one of the things I like about Lisa See. She is highly entertaining, while at the same time imparting lessons in Chinese culture and history. The ending left me wanting, but I hope that means a follow-up book is in order. Another hit by See!

My Rating: 4 stars