Authors Without A Yacht (AWaY) discussion

Suggestions > Suggestion for Publishers - Help your authors

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 54 comments Mod
That is one pathetic response, especially coming from YOUR publisher. It may be your copyright, but it is their money they're losing. Time to switch to a decent publisher for you, I suppose.

message 2: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
Hi, Casey.

Welcome!!! And thank you for your comments. Some publishers have an email address or a link on their websites when public spirited folk may report piracy when they see it.

A shocking number don't. Publishers need to get their act together and take a leaf out of Microsoft's or Cisco's book, or even join an organization like the BSA or SIIA or CopyNot.

Casey, if you haven't joined the free "One Voice" division of the copyright alliance, you should.

http://www.copyrightalliance.org/

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Elsborg Some publishers help and some don't, that's the truth of it. I suppose it becomes a full time job tackling every site that offers illegal downloads of authors' books and the good publishers have people dedicated to doing just that. The email you got was awful!! To not be bothered at all seems crazy to me. if we don't all band together, this battle will be lost.

message 4: by Ilovetoread (new)

Ilovetoread | 51 comments It's a shame that it is such a huge job. I know nothing about how things work but it seems to me that it should be the publishers responsibility to deal with the pirate sites. From what I've read here and on other sites they make the rules.

Several authors I have contacted when I found there books on pirate sites responded with a thank you, I'll let my publisher know.

Out of curiosity I just went through my saved emails and pulled up what I had sent to one author who is published by Simon & Schuster. I emailed her in June. At that time her book had just been released a few days and it was her first published work.

At the time I sent her 2 links. They were both on one of the more DMCA compliant hosting sites. Her book had been downloaded 37 times then. Just now I checked those links again. They are still open and I found 2 more on the same hosting site.

It's one of the few file hosting sites that are searchable. Now it has been downloaded almost 800 times. This was just one hosting site. I can only imagine how many other places those 800 people have uploaded it to and shared it.

When I emailed this author she seemed very grateful that I had let her know. We emailed back and forth a few times and I provided her with information about where to report these incidences and where she could get help and support from other authors.

I think the publishers that can afford to should have a division dedicated to just piracy. Hire a staff for the purpose of hunting them down and getting them removed. Do any of them have something like this in place?

I try and look out for the more newly published authors because I know those first days or weeks are critical for them. Most give me the impression that they don't know much if anything about piracy. They are almost completely reliant on the publisher to protect them.

Maybe there needs to be a public awareness campaign of some sort. Use television, radio and newspapers to encourage people to speak up and report these things. I imagine a lot of people who are not pirates stumble across the pirate sites just looking for reviews or bookstores and they just skip over it and move on. If there was more awareness maybe more honest readers would get involved. Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

message 5: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
I'm hearing very good things about the support Harlequin gives to authors, also Nocturne. We should give kudos where kudos is due.