The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Star trek, the original series - anyone seen?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments I saw them when they were broadcast. :)

I'm glad they have come out on DVD for the current generation to enjoy.

I heard someone comment recently that one of the reasons the younger generation did not appreciate the original Star Trek series was because they had never seen them uncut.

In 1966 the average running time for a 30 minute TV show was 26 minutes with 4 minutes for commercials.

In 2010 the average running time for a 30 minute TV show is 22 minutes with 8 minutes for commercials.

Over 4 minutes have to be cut out from the original broadcast in order to fit it in to todays 30 minute run.

That is 15% of a 26 minute show.

You know what they end up cutting are all the personal bits. The interchanges between Spock, McCoy and Kirk. Get rid of that and all you have are some dated CGI/action sequences stitched together by people you have not had the opportunity to care about.

Hopefully the new DVD release will be able to re-generate interest in the original series.

message 2: by aldenoneil (last edited Aug 31, 2010 11:52AM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I was watching the whole original series on Netflix streaming. I made it to episode three before they yanked it.

It's great to go back and actually watch something you've grown up knowing so much about, as it's such a part of our pop-culture awareness. I recently watched 10 seasons of South Park, and suddenly I get the hundreds of references that have gone over my head in the last decade.

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments You can watch them on Netflix?

I've never been too excited about Star Trek, but I would like to see the Trouble with Tribbles episode, I've heard too many references to it...

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments Check out sf writer Norman Spinrad's videos on youtube talking about Gene Roddenberry saving Star Trek, and the Doomsday Machine episode (which he wrote).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_WV-...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=758fT5...

message 5: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments Started watching the original series yesterday, actually. Never seen it before and I'm really enjoying it. I really liked the original pilot "The Cage". Captain Pike was quite cool, and I'm disappointed to find out that he only appears in that episode. Oh well.

message 6: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments "The Cage" was the original pilot for the series (which NBC rejected - they thought it "too cerebral", "too intellectual", and "too slow" with "not enough action").

But - don't worry you have a chance to see Captain Pike again if you watch the 2009 Star Trek Movie reboot (he is the one who encourages Kirk to enlist in Star Fleet and is the first captain of the USS Enterprise, with Kirk on board)

message 7: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments I saw the 2009 movie and liked it. It was fun, but I like the series much better so far. Nothing about Pike in the movie stuck out to me as cool or clever in the same way that he did in the series. Same thing went for all the characters in that movie. They just kinda fell bass ackwards into situations that required explosions, lasers, and apparently getting the cameraman into fist fights.

From my little time with Star Trek, it seems as though the series was focused more on clever and interesting stories, whereas the movie was more concerned about shiny stuff (figuratively and literally). I don't have anything against shiny, but I think that if I remember the movie at all a few years from now, it'll be because of its connection to a memorable series.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Oh man - it amazing how much people are different. I loved the new film. I thought the storyline, the acting and the affects all excellent. The only negative for me was scotty. All the other characters were believable and recognisable.

I was never a real fan of the old series - I found it all far too hammy. I liked the next gen series more.

message 9: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Paul wrote: "Oh man - it amazing how much people are different. I loved the new film. I thought the storyline, the acting and the affects all excellent. The only negative for me was scotty. All the other ch..."

I can't stand the Abrams movie. In the new timeline, Kirk's entire life is different, from the very moment of his birth, yet he turns out to be the same "I don't believe in the no-win scenario" captain as the original. The new Kirk was raised by an entirely different man, didn't survive Kodos the Executioner's reign of terror, isn't haunted by the dikironium cloud that attacked the USS Farragut -- in fact, has no experience on any other starship before the Enterprise. The movie changes Kirk from a man who became great through experience, to a man with a destiny of greatness. And I freaking hate charactes who are destined to greatness.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments That kind or rules out most heros then

message 11: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments The red matter was a ripoff of peter f hamilton's hawking m-sink in the void series. :)

message 12: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Paul wrote: "That kind or rules out most heros then"

Only a certain class of fantasy hero.

message 13: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
I grew up watching re-runs of the original series and *loved* them, both for the geeky content, which was more cerebral than any other sci-fi fare being offered on tv at the time, and for the interplay between the characters, especially the trio of Kirk-Spock-McCoy.

When I re-watch now, I see more plot-holes, clumsiness, cheesiness, etc. than I did as a kid, but I still can enjoy them quite a bit.

message 14: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Sean wrote: "The new Kirk was raised by an entirely different man, didn't survive Kodos the Executioner's reign of terror, isn't haunted by the dikironium cloud that attacked the USS Farragut..."

Are these (other than the surrogate father) things that are covered in the actual original series episodes or movies, or do they come from Star Trek novels, etc? I just don't remember them, but I've only rewatched some of the original eps recently.

message 15: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Jlawrence wrote: "Are these (other than the surrogate father) things that are covered in the actual original series episodes or movies, or do they come from Star Trek novels, etc? I just don't remember them, but I've only rewatched some of the original eps recently."

Kirk's experience with Kodos the Executioner is covered in the episode The Conscience of the King (note that the aliens on The Simpsons are named Kang and Kodos - Kang being a Klingon commander); the dikironium cloud is from Obsession; there are references to Kirk serving on two starships prior to the Enterprise -- the Republic and the Farragut -- which makes a lot more sense than the film where a cadet with no experience in the day-to-day running of a ship is given permanent command.

message 16: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments In the movie Kirk is essentially raised by his Mom - who only marries again pretty late in his life.

In the TV Series Kirk was pretty much raised by his Mom as well - since his Father, being a star fleet Captain, was not around very much (think navy-brat).

I had no problem believing that he came out pretty much the same - with a bit more of a rebellious wild streak.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Plus for me I like the destruction of the original timeline - it opens up new stories without having to pander to the trekkie historians. No offence if that includes any of you :)

message 18: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Well, they could've just come up with new stories without using "Star Trek" at all. I mean, you could turn it into a Tom Corbett: Space Cadet story with about five minutes of search-and-replace.

message 19: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments You could - but it would not be star trek and I am a fan of Star Trek and the characters.

The new timeline doesn't mean it is not Star trek - plenty of the story lines within the series both old and new have involved this concept

message 20: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments Paul wrote: "The new timeline doesn't mean it is not Star trek - plenty of the story lines within the series both old and new have involved this concept"

Isn't there an episode of The Next Generation that talks about how the universe is constantly "fracturing" (or something like that), splitting into multiple alternate universes, and each of those universes split into even more alternate universes?

Perhaps Abram's Star Trek takes place in one of the alternate universes.

message 21: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Cameron, there is an episode of ST:TNG that deals with that. In it, the Enterprise encounters an Enterprise from an alternate timeline. On the other Enterprise, Tasha Yar is still alive.

Anything is possible on Star Trek.

message 22: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments I like the one where time keeps looping, but no one remembers.

message 23: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments The various Star Trek series did a lot of stuff with time travel and alternate universes. There was an episode of the original series where Kirk, Spock and Uhura traded places with their counterparts from an alternate universe.

In my opinion, the reboot in the latest movie fits very neatly with the Star Trek mythos.

message 24: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments YES ! Evil goatee wearing Spock from the alternative universe !

SIDE NOTE:

Any one besides me disappointed that in the TV series "Fringe" the Leonard Nimoy character that lived in an alternative universe did *not* have a goatee :(

(but - he was arguably evil at least)

message 25: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments Stan wrote: "Any one besides me disappointed that in the TV series "Fringe" the Leonard Nimoy character that lived in an alternative universe did *not* have a goatee :(

(but - he was arguably evil at least)"

Wait, evil Leonard Nimoy? Crap! I apparently stopped watching Fringe too soon.

message 26: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Evil Spock is the reason I have a goatee.

Unfortuntely, my hair is incompatible with the Vulcan bowl-cut.

message 27: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments Nothing beats the evil Willow from Buffy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX6qOO...

message 28: by Danforth (new)

Danforth Morrigan (nomad_scry) | 35 comments Er.

*Fringe Spoiler from Season 2*

There was no alternate to the Nimoy character. He was a unique "earth-prime" character and thus did not have the evil goatee.

message 29: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (last edited Sep 21, 2010 12:15PM) (new)

Goatee-sporting evil Spock and leather-clad evil Willow would make an *awesome* team!

message 30: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments *Fringe Spoiler from Season 2*

That is soley because his alternate died as a young man - and - I'd argue that earth-prime Nimoy *was* the evil one of the two.

But - at least they could have put "Evil-Walter" in a goatee :)

message 31: by Steve (new)

Steve (jstevenmoore) | 2 comments As long as we're talking Star Trek and Fringe did anyone catch the season 2 episode of Fringe with a cameo by Clint Howard (Balok from a Star Trek TOS episode). Peter and Olivia were questioning him and the conversation began normally but he turned out to be delusional -- he believed he was Ambassador Spock and proceeded to layout what turned out to be the basic plot of the then upcoming Star Trek movie? Awesome!