Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Changes to Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Izetta Autumn (new)

Izetta Autumn (izettaautumn) | 36 comments Hello!

I was wondering what members of the group thought about the changes to Goodreads, notably the changes in the look of book pages that more prominently display a "purchase" option, information about who read the novel, and its popularity. I wonder about the possibility to promote more authors of color, and/or if writers of color will be less prominently featured/harder to find if Goodreads models itself more like an online link to book buying.

I'm part of the Goodreads Feedback group, as I imagine a lot of folks in this group are, however, I notice that I don't often see(identified/identifiable) Goodreads members of color giving feedback about new features.

I wonder: what features would enhance your experience as a reader and member of Goodreads? What features would you like to include that might be specific to reading literary fiction by people of color?

message 2: by William (new)

William (be2lieve) | 1232 comments Mod
I guess its not that intrusive because I really can't say that I've noticed a goodreads makeover... or seen very much of the "buy this book" taglines. This "sponsored book" box that they keep just to the right and always in your sightline is a little annoying though...

message 3: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 191 comments William wrote: "I guess its not that intrusive because I really can't say that I've noticed a goodreads makeover... or seen very much of the "buy this book" taglines. This "sponsored book" box that they keep just ..."

I had those removed. Don't ask me how... perhaps via my profile page.

Izetta, I did notice the change, in terms of aesthetics. I don't find the new book pages very attractive, but that's entirely subjective. I've been aware of the links to Amazon et al before, and recognise that it's now more prominent. That doesn't appeal, but I haven't bothered to read the blog and find out what Goodreads thinking was. I continue to focus more on the reviews of/discussions with the individuals/groups I value here.

Never been in a feedback group.

message 4: by jo (new)

jo | 1031 comments izetta,

it's a fantastic question. thanks for taking the time to ask it. i actually can't imagine any way to promote any author in particular. the "buy this book" link and the popularity links are pretty color blind, no? did you have anything in mind?

message 5: by Izetta Autumn (new)

Izetta Autumn (izettaautumn) | 36 comments Well I think that there's a possibility that the "buy this book" link will make it easier for those curious about a particular author of author to purchase that book - or read more about it. And for books that may often be neglected this could be a good thing.

One of the things I think would be a great tool on goodreads in the ability to post links or other resources about reading directly on the home page. For instance, I would have loved to place a link to the great conversation this group had about publishing and authors of color, directly onto my home page. For some that's too much of a Facebook-esque feature, but I think it would be a great way to promote what I am appreciating on goodreads from other members.

I just wondered, as goodreads goes through changes, are there changes/additions/etc that would benefit this group or work to promote and continue to offer space for dicussion groups like LFoC to continue to flourish. When the structure of things is being built, I always wonder whose voices are part of that discussion, and how a form can impact the content or experience of users later down the line. So that's part of where the question came from - a curiousity around what folks in this group thought about changes, and what kinds of changes the group might like to see to enhance our reading experience.

message 6: by jo (new)

jo | 1031 comments this is all terribly well said, izetta. one thing the previous version of GR had was "discussions with this book" and "lists with this book." maybe it only had the latter. i wish they were both there. it seems important.

message 7: by jo (last edited Sep 04, 2010 05:00PM) (new)

jo | 1031 comments oops, sorry, "lists with this book" is still there. how about "group discussions with this book"? it could be either group discussions in which the book is tagged, though that may end up being too many, or book discussions that specifically focus on the book, or, in GR speak, "book discussions."

message 8: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments jo wrote: "oops, sorry, "lists with this book" is still there. how about "group discussions with this book"? it could be either group discussions in which the book is tagged, though that may end up being too ..."

I st1ll have that at the bottom of the page, jo, as "discuss this book".

message 9: by jo (new)

jo | 1031 comments double oops. thank you, mina. izetta, do you think it could be moved up, before the reviews? it's hard to imagine most people will get to the bottom of the page!

message 10: by Rashida (last edited Sep 06, 2010 07:33AM) (new)

Rashida | 264 comments Random thoughts: I think the discussion groups are the key. I mean, isn't pop culture based around the premise that if lots of folk are talking about it, it's more likely worth your investment? So, I agree that discussion links need to move way, way up on the book page. I noticed in one of the monthly newsletters that our group was linked to directly in the discussions section. It seems to rotate among groups. Anyone know how this is picked? Traffic, "quality", random? And, does anyone know how a link to a discussion page actually makes it onto the book page? Last time I looked at the page for Who Fears Death, this month's discussion was not linked.

message 11: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments It's there, Rashida, at the bottom of the page. In fact, THIS discussion is there also, because you referenced the book using the "add book/author" tool above the comment box. Any time you use that, the discussion pops up on the book page.

Literary Fiction by People of Color

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Who Fears Death (other topics)