The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.3 - Sandy’s Task As Suggested by Katy: Daylight Savings

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 31, 2010 07:19PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
25.3 - Sandy’s Task As Suggested by Katy: Daylight Savings
Choose two books from of the following options (books must be from two different categories):
A) Since we'll be "falling back" with our clocks, fall back in time and read a historical fiction novel or a nonfiction book about a historical time period before you were born.
B) Read a book that features time travel.
C) Since the days will be shorter, read a short book (100-300 pages). REQUIRED: If you choose option C, include in your post the number of pages in your book.
D) Since dark will come earlier, read a "dark" book - select a book that is over 100 pages from Most Depressing Book of All Time
OPTIONAL: If you choose option D, tell us whether you agree that the book is "The Most Depressing Book of all Time."

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy | 646 comments Placeholder

message 3: by Katy (new)

Katy | 646 comments placeholder

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open.

message 5: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) Cool task. Thanks Sandy & Katy.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Kristi - Where would Burned Alive fit?

message 7: by Dee (last edited Aug 31, 2010 05:12PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments ohh, goodie...some place to put those short books i keep ending up with for other group challenges!

can we do two books from the same category? or does it have to be two different ones?

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy | 646 comments Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Kristi - Where would Burned Alive fit?"

It doesn't look like it fits into this task unless it appears on the Most Depressing Books of All Time list.

message 9: by Katy (new)

Katy | 646 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "ohh, goodie...some place to put those short books i keep ending up with for other group challenges!

can we do two books from the same category? or does it have to be two different ones?"

Two different categories :)

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments ahh...good time for a historical romance...lol! :)

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Katy wrote: Two different categories"

Katy - I'll refine the task description to make that clear.

message 12: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments There's some weird choices on that Depressing list! Some emotionally moving ones but I'm not sure 'depressing' is the right word. Not that I'm complaining - loads of good options :)

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) Does anyone remember if Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has time travel?? I haven't read it since it came out and don't remember. For some reason I have in my mind that the time-turner makes a comeback in this book, but again...can't remember.

message 14: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 243 comments Danielle wrote: "Does anyone remember if Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has time travel?? I haven't read it since it came out and don't remember. For some reason I have in my mind that the time..."

It was returned to McGonagall after the Prison of Azkaban. I don't recall it coming back, so I checked the Harry Potter Wiki, the entry on the Time-Turner has a list of appearances of the object that doesn't include the Deathly Hallows.

message 15: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (thewolvessaid) Thanks, Vicky. I was trying to look it up too but couldn't find it. :)

message 16: by Janet (new)

Janet Berkman (jannie_b) I checked the general rules and couldn't see anything about graphic novels. I'd like to read Brownsville, a 200-page graphic novel set in the 1930s for category (A). Would that work?

message 17: by Katy (new)

Katy | 646 comments Janet wrote: "I checked the general rules and couldn't see anything about graphic novels. I'd like to read Brownsville, a 200-page graphic novel set in the 1930s for category (A). Would that work?"

That's fine!