Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

HEA in Literature > The Cover

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments So just how important is the cover? We all know the saying "Never Judge A Book By It's Cover" but how many of us do?

I admit that some covers have attracted me enough to purchase a dud of a book. At the same time there have been covers that I wouldn't go near for anything. Being here at Goodreads has helped me with this judgement thing, though. Reading reviews often keep me from relying on the cover thing.

message 2: by Julianna (last edited Aug 31, 2010 11:46AM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 671 comments Based on the many comments I've seen here on GR regarding covers, I think I must be an oddball. I've never been particularly attracted to or repelled by a book simply because of it's cover. That's not to say that there aren't some truly beautiful covers that are a pleasure to look at and others that are pretty hideous, but I just don't typically take them as an indication of what's inside.

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I try not to but I'm seen some real cheesy covers that just about make me gag. Some reviews here have gotten me to read a few that I would never imagine reading but I still have to wonder about the ppl in charge of covers.

message 4: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 671 comments I know what you mean Pamela. There are certainly some god-awful covers out there that had me wondering, "What on earth were they thinking?";-)

message 5: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments I tend to be more open about the covers. In the last few years, thanks to recs from friends, I have read some I never would have picked up if I was judging simply by the atrocious covers. E-books with those computer generated covers are particular offenders.

message 6: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Melanie wrote: "I tend to be more open about the covers. In the last few years, thanks to recs from friends, I have read some I never would have picked up if I was judging simply by the atrocious covers. E-books..."

Yes, some of Ellora's Cave and New Concept both have some weird ones.

message 7: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments I really like Sarah McCarty's Promises series, but the covers are bizarre. None are worse than Devil's Pact where the heroine looks like a blow-up doll LOL!

message 8: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Exactly why we should try not to judge the book by their covers lol

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Covers are important to me, but I want the men and women on them to match the descriptions of the men and women between the pages.

message 10: by Nissie Lambert (new)

Nissie Lambert I agree UM! I've lost count of how many heroes have long dark hair and the guy on the cover has a blond buzz cut or vise verse. Same with the heroine.

And I must admit I've bought books because of the hot guy on the cover.

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Yes, its nice when we have man candy on the cover. :)

I notice that I tend to put in the image of the cover into my book at times but if I'm watching the TV while reading I've had my characters look like whoever is on at the time. Spongebob as a hero just doesn't cut it. Also if I'm reading a contemporary and my hero starts wearing a gladiator costume can be distractive. :)

message 12: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments It's so weird, but like, I picture Sebastian St. Vincent from Devil in Winter as a dark complected male. Tall, thin but not scrawny, with very dark hair. I was floored when someone said he was blond.

message 13: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol, yes, he's blonde :) I don't normally "get into" blondes but *sigh* Ahhh, Vinnie.....

message 14: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "lol, yes, he's blonde :) I don't normally "get into" blondes but *sigh* Ahhh, Vinnie....."

I have to re-read that book and picture him blond. You know... any excuse to do a re-read, right? LOL

message 15: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Oh, yes, but Vinnie needs no excuses....

message 16: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I finished Nicholas (The Lords of Satyr, #1) by Elizabeth Amber and oh my gosh this is a hot cover! I was checking it out at the library and scanned it super quick and put it in my bag because there was this kid checking out books next to me. And then everytime my daughter came in while I was reading it I had to late it cover down because even the back cover had a picture of this guy. Yes, there's something wrong with mommy.

message 17: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol, my hubby has seen some interesting covers that I've had and many didn't even have the heat factor u expect it would have. Many times I've had to tell hubby "Don't judge my book by it's cover, Honey!"

message 18: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I tell him, "You're hotter" and since every man no matter who he is thinks he's at least an 8 or more, he believes me.