Contemporary Christian Fiction discussion

Book Discussions (Monthly) > Sept. BoneMan's Daughters/Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishag) | 385 comments Mod
Please feel free to discuss anything about BoneMan's Daughters here. Thanks!

message 2: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (kailak) it is an amazing, awesome book.. in fact i just ordered a copy to send to my little brother who in jail in alaska. i am hoping he will like it also haha

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisalickel) | 15 comments I admit I had some trouble with the father character's actions trying to save his daughter, who didn't seem to like him. Anyone else?

message 4: by Trish (new)

Lisa wrote: "I admit I had some trouble with the father character's actions trying to save his daughter, who didn't seem to like him. Anyone else?"

I'm a little over 1/2 way through, & he's very devoted to her, even though she hung the phone up on him. She said some very cold things about him, but not to his face, so I'm not sure he knows how she feels about him. (She better give him some credit, because it looks like he's the only one that can save her from the Boneman right now, since the police are focused on capturing him, & not searching for her.)

I still have a lot more to read, so I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.

message 5: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (kailak) i thought it was amazingly done.. a lot like how God is with us. i wont give it away but it seems to me that we turn our back on God sometimes and He is still there and thats how her dad is for her

message 6: by Trish (new)

I just finished it today & thought it was great! I want to say his writing is similar to another author, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe John Grisham, Michael Connelly, or Dan Brown LITE without the foul language & sex. Anyone else think so, or is there a better author to compare him to?

Anyway, Ryan's love for his daughter was strong, but it didn't annoy me. It seemed like he clung to her love like a lifeline since he didn't have anyone else to hold on to, but I can see where it may have been overbearing to some.
I like what Kaila said about his love -it's a lot like God is with us!

I was really in the mood for a great suspense/creepy book, so it hit the spot perfectly! I'm an instant fan & will have to read more of his work.
I also LOVED his personal story at the end - I'm curious by nature & usually wonder what inspires authors to write.

message 7: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (kailak) this reminds me of frank peretti's Adam or Monster.. both are awesome books also..
and Ted Dekker has another one i love called The Bride Collector and its an amazing book also..
his personal story was amazing wasnt it? i was shocked when i read that.. i couldnt imagine going through that

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (hljourney) | 10 comments Indeed - I agree with you

Kaila wrote: "i thought it was amazingly done.. a lot like how God is with us. i wont give it away but it seems to me that we turn our back on God sometimes and He is still there and thats how her dad is for her"

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (hljourney) | 10 comments Amazing how Dekker can come up this story from something he himself was enduring. Of course - not the actually process of being kidnapped & such; but emotionally - literally he'd lost his daughter. I'd wondered throughout this reading where thoughts like this could come from, how could anyone write a such gruesome story. Comparing this to his own circumstances... I can understand now he HAD to get the point across of just how much Ryan (the father) loved his daughter & desired to save her. He's asking us as parents to make sure our children do know how much we love them.

Intense thriller indeed, not something I expected at all in a Christian writing; but thankful for his words & sharing: "exposing them [wolves] for who they are despite occasional objections from those who would rather turn their eyes from the ugly truth."

As others have suggested - we ourselves turn away from God; and need to understand He's still there loving and waiting for us to return. As well, we can't turn away from the ugly truths that do happen in this world - but shine for Him that is One that saves us all!

Trish wrote: "I just finished it today & thought it was great! I want to say his writing is similar to another author, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe John Grisham, Michael Connelly, or Dan Brown LITE w..."

message 10: by Luke (new)

Luke Reynolds | 3 comments Overall it was an enjoyable book, but there was one big issue I had with the book. While I can appreciate Ted Dekker's love for his daughter, Ryan's transformation from distant father to God-like allegory didn't set well with me. I finished the book thinking that if God was really like Ryan, I'd probably have a crisis of faith.

I also didn't really understand the point of the killer and the lotion. I guess it was supposed to be creepy, but I couldn't help but laugh at the way some of the lines went, like "Alvin murdered the girl. Then he put on lotion because he liked to have baby-soft skin"

So, in conclusion, I though it was a very well-written thriller, but like many of Ted Dekker's other books, it failed to establish that emotional connection with me that everyone else keeps going on about.

message 11: by Trish (new)

Luke wrote: "I also didn't really understand the point of the killer and the lotion..."

I believe the point of the lotion was explained at the end. Something about his creepy obsession with having perfect skin like his Mom & it was part of his MO. (I can't remember exactly now, but I hope that helps:)-It is kinda funny!

Since you brought up the Noxzema, I have to say that I've only known it to be a facial cleanser, not lotion. Am I wrong? As I was reading, I was confused, then I figured there must be Noxzema lotion that I don't know about. I went to their site & didn't find any lotion. I thought Dekker might've used Noxzema for it's distinct smell to bring the readers senses into the story. It's still not a lotion though - I kept mentally rinsing the cleanser off of BoneMan's skin. I'm not nit-picking, I'm just sayin'.

Does anyone own this mysterious Noxzema lotion?

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisalickel) | 15 comments Well, I love Noxema, but I'll use it more sparingly in the future.
I also wasn't sure I agreed with how the feds handled the situation and Ryan. I was more impressed that Dekker had a problem with his own daughter, managed to make a story out of it and publish it. I wonder what his family thought?