Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > September 2010 book is. . . .

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (last edited Aug 31, 2010 06:09AM) (new)

Angela Cheney | 255 comments Mod
. . . . The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins ! Great turn-out for the voting!

But now I have a question for all of you. This was the second month that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo came in second, this time with 18 votes. How do you feel about starting a second book club read with this book, around September 15th?

Or should we just wait until October and let it be in another poll in October for the book club? It's such a popular book that I suspect many have already read it, and it's at risk of being "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" in our polls.

What do you think?

Oh! And let the reading of. . . and commenting on. . . .The Hunger Gamesbegin.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool!

message 3: by Dixie (new)

Dixie (readerofthepack) I just finished The Hunger Games trilogy. So good! You are all in for some good reading.

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments Sweet I was going to start this tomorrow anyway for a couple other groups. I am happy this book came up as the group read.

As for Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I just finished it and it was REALLY GOOD! I actually did have another group that started having 2 group reads a month and both started on the 1st of the month. The top two were the ones automatically picked as the Group Reads. This way it helps the people that aren't in the "mood" to read a certain genre. Or don't really want to read the one chosen and have another option. Or they can just read both. If I were you, I would just put it up for next month.

message 5: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Yes, ready to start when I finish my current book. I'm looking forward to it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Very good trilogy. I'm still thinking about book 3, days after finishing it.

I'll jump in more on book 1 when some others have posted thoughts.

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bebe33075) | 52 comments I'm so excited. I just finished this last night and am starting book 2.

message 8: by Cobbie (new)

Cobbie (cobbieg) I just finished the hunger games and now im reading the 2nd in the series. It was so good!

message 9: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I just started the book this morning

message 10: by JM (new)

JM (frjmh) I'm closing in on MockingJay. You will reallu love Hunger Games!

message 11: by Kim D (new)

Kim D (kdimattia) | 34 comments I'm on the waiting list at the library for MockingJay. I couldn't justify buying this one for my Nook since the other two I read were library books.

message 12: by Angela (new)

I haven't yet started reading the book, but found some initial discussion questions. . . . as "food for thought":

What does the future hold for Katniss, Peeta, and Gale?
What did you think of Heymitch? Troublemaker? Untrustworthy? Surprising savoir?
What do you think is the future of the political structure?
Will there be a rebellion? If so, who will lead it? How do you think it will play out?

Feel free to respond to these, or introduce any questions or thoughts of your own in this thread!

message 13: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I am just starting to get into it! I am on Ch. 8 now. I guess when I pick out books I should start reading the blurbs. Haha I was not expecting what this book was about.

message 14: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (dorieann) Grr, had to loan mine out to someone to whom I had already promised to loan. Timing was just bad. But I'll get it back in about a week and will be able to start it then.

message 15: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexisfromoregon) hmm haven't read much but felt guilty for eating breakfast... that aside I hope there is a rebellion and Haymitch is just getting drunk to forget why he won.

message 16: by Psmoore (new)

Psmoore I'm about 45 pages into it, and thinking off droping it. Not getting into it too much. I will keep going for awhile more and see how it goes.

message 17: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Don't give up. I didn't like the beginning of the book either.
It does get better.

message 18: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I have about 50 pages left in the book...don't think it is my favorite book of all time, but it is good. Maybe about a 4 star. I am waiting for something extremely exciting to happen...

***SPOILER***
I do not see how Katniss cannot see how much Peeta actually likes her. He is such a good guy, but their romance is pretty much boring right now. I want it to be ...more. I don't even know what I want. Either that or just something that is a little more unpredictable about their relationship.

message 19: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments Yeah I think I would give this book a 4 star...not one of my favorites of all time but definitely not the worst book I have ever read either.

***SPOILER***
One: I don't like cliffhangers. Two: Poor Peeta

message 20: by Psmoore (new)

Psmoore I just finished Hunger Games and thought it was just ok. Not that impressed. I was glad it was a fairly short read though. Not sure if I'll read the next ones or not.

message 21: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I have started Catching Fire Psmoore and will let you know what I think. I have heard from a lot of people that Catching Fire was better and Mockingjay was the worst of the trilogy.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I think that's sort of up in the air. There are a few people that feel book 2 is just another version of book 1 and because of that don't like it as much. I preferred Hunger Games to Catching Fire because the concept was new in book 1, although Catching Fire was still a good read.

Mockingjay is just a completely different enchilada. Books 1 and 2 do not have much in common with book 3. It doesn't necessarily make book 3 worse, but rather different.

message 23: by Psmoore (new)

Psmoore I started Catching Fire just because I was sitting there and it was easy to start and it's short too, so I'll probably read it and see where it goes, if it continues to be just the same as number 1 I'll probably drop it and start The Strain.

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) I listened to The Hunger Games last year and was not thrilled with it. It was good, not great. So far have resisted reading the sequels as I'm not that interested.

message 25: by Psmoore (new)

Psmoore I'm pretty bored with book 2 also. Can't see reading teh finale after book 2.

message 26: by Dixie (new)

Dixie (readerofthepack) I very much enjoyed all three books. I read them back to back pretty quickly. Mockingjay is much darker than the other two.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) sorry if a couple things are redundant from my last post...

This might be one of the first groups ever in which I've seen people bored with the books. I've seen a few people not like them for various reasons (violence, etc.), but not many bored with them. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's impossible to find a book that everyone will absolutely like.

When people ask me if they'd like these books I usually say that they're some of the only ones that I've found which actually live up to the hype.

Hunger Games on its own can be read as a standalone if you don't care about the love triangle resolution (which really isn't the main point of the story). If you are concerned about investing in a trilogy, I'd say to at least try this book out. If nothing else, it makes for interesting coversation with others who have read the book.

The second really is a rehash of book 1, with a few new characters and a slightly different play on the games. If you really enjoyed book 1, then you'll probably like the second. If you didn't then you won't be missing much.

Although, Mockingjay (the 3rd book) can be classified as a "love it" or "hate it" type of book because the series wraps up with a very strong PoV. I found myself loving most of it and strongly disliking a few things (mainly the epilogue).

message 28: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments Well book 1 I didn't really like but I am reading book 2 now and I think it is a little bit better. My problem with the first one was that it was just too predictable after learning about what the Hunger Games were. From the point on, when you were introduced to something new. It wasn't like OMG what a twist. It was just like ok...now I think this will happen and sure enough it did. I like book 2 because I don't get that same feeling. But I have heard people say that when they reread the book it was better the second time...maybe that is what I need. But definitely not for awhile.

message 29: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (alexisfromoregon) SPOILERS

Well finished the book a few days ago, I think I liked Peeta the best, started to think Katniss was a little selfish (maybe just me). Also wondered if anyone else thought it might qualify as a type of political/satire book? Seemed pretty much that it made fun of the Capitol people with the way they dress ,their shallowness and out laying districts almost starving. A few similaritys between the capitol or wallstreet and the rest of the country having problems. These are just my musings. While I'm not sure its a book to "like the story" being a bit grime, I found it very interesting and plan to pursue the rest of the series.

message 30: by Beth (new)

Beth Grenfell sounds great to me

Angela2932 wrote: ". . . .The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins! Great turn-out for the voting!

But now I have a question for all of you. This was the second month that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo..."

message 31: by Susan (NY) (new)

Susan (NY) Beth wrote: "sounds great to me

Angela2932 wrote: ". . . .The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins! Great turn-out for the voting!

But now I have a question for all of you. This was the second month that [b..."

I still haven't read [book:The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo|7118572] and would like to read it sometime.

message 32: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo Susan, so would I. I have it in trade size but I was saving it thinking I would read it when the border's group did but I haven't heard anything from the girl who left the company and was going to keep the group up. So don't know what is happening. I probably will end up reading it when I finish the books I'm reading now. Except after the Passage I want some light fluff books that go fast.

message 33: by Konnie (new)

Konnie (mrsnaz) I am just over half way through this book. I LOVE it! My only complaint is that I have to keep putting it aside to do other stuff. You know the boring stuff like cook for the family, take care of the kids, do my college work. ;) I love books that suck me in and have me thinking about the characters even when I am not reading. I am enjoying this much more than The Magicians and The Passage. I couldn't even finish those two. :)

message 34: by Angela (new)

I just finished it and really, really enjoyed it! Now I have to track down the next two books in the series, but unfortunately, I'm going to have to look for DTB because I also want to send it to my nook-less daughter. (I keep trying to convince her to get a nook, but she doesn't want one!) So I bought her a copy of the paperback book to send to her, and will probably get the next two books in some lame non-nook format.

message 35: by Konnie (new)

Konnie (mrsnaz) lol I want my daughter to read them too. She is 13 and I do not trust her with my Nook. I will most likely buy them in paperback for her down the road.

I finished and I LOVED it. I wish I could jump right into Catching Fire, but it is a crazy, busy week of assignment due date for school. Looks like I will start book 2 in a week. :)

message 36: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca The Hunger Games is an amazing series. Seriously. It left me thinking deeply for a long time. I plan to re-read many times in the future.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.