The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Past Group Read Nominations > Winner Chosen: Group Read: Sept 15-Oct 14 2010

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Sep 11, 2010 12:59AM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Winner Chosen! Something Wicked This Way Comes

Polls now open. I moved the end date to Sept 11 to give us a little leeway in case there needs to be a second round of voting.

Nominations are now open for the September/October Group Read.

General rules for Group Reads. Please read before you create your post.

One nomination per person from any mystery genre. Authors, please no self-nominations.

Nominations will be open until Monday, September 6, with voting until September 12th.

For your post, use Title, Author and Link (use the "add book/author" link at top of comment box) please.

The person who nominated the winning book will be the leader of the discussion. The discussion leader's job does not have to be elaborate. A few comments or questions to keep the discussion moving along will be fine or it can be more if you like.

Since we are a rather international group please check Amazon or some other site to make sure the book is readily available. Is it available in paperback? Used? Your local library? The last thing we want is to nominate a great book that no one can get!

Finally, a word about series - the joy or bane of a mystery reader’s life! Please consider whether the book you are nominating would be best read by someone who has read all the previous books in the series or can be enjoyed by someone new to the series too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1 Tomato Red-Daniel Woodrell (Vince)
2 The Gentle Axe-R.N. Morris (Donna)
3 Tales of the Unexpected-Roald Dahl (Hayes)
4 Blood Men-Paul Cleave (Craig)
5 Have Mercy On Us All-Fred Vargas (Serge K.)
6 A Gathering Light (aka A Northern Light)-Jennifer Donnelly (Jane)
7 A Plague on Both Your Houses-Susanna Gregory (K.B.)
8 Nemesis-William Bernhardt (Bryan)
9 The Glass Rainbow-James Lee Burke (Garret)
10 Winter's Bone-Daniel Woodrell (Bruce)
11 Cemetery Road-G.A. Haywood (Timothy)
12 No Angel-Jay Dobyns (Shannon)
13 The Tulip Virus-Danielle Hermans (Laura)
14 Deep Creek-Dana Hand (Pete)
15 Goodnight Irene-Jan Burke (Fred)
16 Something wicked this way comes-Ray Bradbury (Barry)

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
How about The Gentle Axe by R.N. Morris

The Gentle Axe (Porfiry Petrovich , #1) by R.N. Morris

message 4: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

That looks good Donna!

I will try again with

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl

message 5: by Craig (new)

Craig Sisterson (kiwicraig) | 59 comments Blood Men by Paul Cleave

Let's get some international crime reading happening here...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello all,

Have Mercy on Us All A Novel (Chief Inspector Adamsberg Mysteries) by Fred Vargas Have Mercy on Us All by Fred Vargas (some of you may know it under its original title: Pars vite et reviens tard)

Best regards

PS: It's my first contribution to this group and my first participation in the nominations. I've checked the rules and skimmed some of the previous nominations, and I don't think this book has already been nominated, but if it has: please be patient with me :) and I apologize in advance

Nice to see such a lively group!

message 7: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi Serge and welcome. Re-nominations are fine, but you're right; I don't think this one has been nominated before.

Hope you will stop by and participate in some of the conversations (or start one!). There are some fun games as well.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Hayes - I'll sure drop by now and then! :)

As for my nomination, I'm fleshing up the author information, as I guess she's not so well known on the other side of the Pond; so you may all be better able to judge if she's interesting or not for you.

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 10 comments A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly

Based on a murder at the turn of the century, I really enjoyed this...

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 10 comments Oh, I think its called A Northern Light in the US by Jennifer Donnelly

message 11: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments A Plague on Both Your Houses by Susanna Gregory. This is the first book in the Matthew Bartholemew series--a great medieval mystery series.

message 14: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Hallinan | 8 comments Cemetery Road by Gar Anthony Haywood -- just a phenomenal book; or Infamous by Ace Atkins. Both of these guys deserve to be best-sellers in my opinion.

message 15: by Bruce (new)

Bruce DeSilva | 2 comments "Winter's Bone," by Daniel Woodrell

message 16: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2010 02:11PM) (new)

Timothy wrote: "Cemetery Road by Gar Anthony Haywood -- just a phenomenal book; or Infamous by Ace Atkins. Both of these guys deserve to be best-sellers in my opinion."

Choose one please, Timothy. The other you can nominate next month. ;-)

message 17: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Hallinan | 8 comments Okay. CEMETERY ROAD.

message 18: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35438 comments I'll pick Infamous. I'm a big fan of Ace Atkins.

message 19: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Hallinan | 8 comments Great!! Yay, Jan.

Both books are amazing, but Gar Haywood is also a friend of mine -- and by the way, CEMETERY ROAD was just named one of the best thrillers of 2010 by MYSTERY SCENE magazine, and richly deserved, too.

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (darwindog96) This isn't really mystery - more like 'true crime' - but how about No AngelNo Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels.

If this doesn't really meet the criteria, I understand - is there a different group read that this might fit?

message 21: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

I think that's okay. Sounds interesting, Shannon!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to nominate The Tulip Virus.

Haven't read it but heard good of it. Not my usual thing and it's got ratings from 1 to 5* here on GR, so it could be up for some solid discussion!

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_ilott) | 2 comments Vince wrote: "Tomato Red by Daniel WoodrellTomato Red byDaniel Woodrell"

This sounds really interesting. If it doesn't win I am going to add to my list to read.

message 24: by Vince (new)

Vince (vchile) | 163 comments Sarah wrote: "Vince wrote: "Tomato Red by Daniel WoodrellTomato Red byDaniel Woodrell"

This sounds really interesting. If it doesn't win I am going to add to my list to read."

I just started it this morning, that's why I nominated it. Winter's Bone is also nominated-a great book that I've been passing around in my office. I want to read all his work, but I don't want to gulp them down. His writing is worth savoring.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Let's consider DEEP CREEK by Dana Hand, up for an Edgar for best first novel. I read it based on the rave reviews in Mystery*File and the Washington Post, and was not disappointed. (The story is based on a real event, a mode I really enjoy.)

Deep Creek

message 26: by Frank (new)

Frank Spinney What about Goodnight, Irene by Jan Burke or Silent Witness by James Patterson. Goodnight Irene is the first book in a series about a newspaper reporter named Irene Kelly. Silent Witness is a stand alone novel. Both were very good.

message 27: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Hi Fred, There is a limit of one nomination per person - I know that can be hard :)

Which book do you want to nominate?

Donna

message 28: by Frank (new)

Frank Spinney Goodnight Irene will be my nomination Donna.

message 29: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

And Barry's book is the winner! Great choice.

Something Wicked This Way Comes

The discussion will start on Sept 15.

message 30: by K.B. (last edited Sep 11, 2010 07:53AM) (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Not the book I voted for, but I'm excited about it! For years, I've meant to read Something Wicked This Way Comes, but I've never gotten around to it.

message 31: by Jan C (last edited Sep 11, 2010 09:50AM) (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35438 comments Wow! I read this about 45 years ago when I was on a Ray Bradbury kick. He wrote some of my favorite "Twilight Zone" episodes. The pride of Waukegan, Illinois - along with Jack Benny.

Not sure if I will read it again or not. I haven't been doing too well with books I adored 40+ years ago. Mostly I find they were meant for a more adolescent mind than I have now. Although with some I have found that I look at it from a different character's point of view than I did when I was young.

message 32: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I'm not sure if I will read it, but do have it in my collection. There are several I want to read this fall with groups.

message 33: by Vince (new)

Vince (vchile) | 163 comments Added to my TBR, but won't be getting to it for a while.

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan | 32 comments I loved this book! Read it many years ago but found it very spooky. Bradbury is great - his stories are always eerie, but maybe moreso because they are poignant statements of how we live? Will have to re-read along with everyone.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I will skip this one, didn't even get started on Jack Reacher yet. You all have a good read - sounds promising!

message 36: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Well, color me surprised. Something Wicked This Way Comes is not available as an ebook. Some of his other works are, but not this one.

message 37: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

I was surprised too K.B. I don't think I'll be able to get a copy. Will read it later on.

message 38: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I wish I could get it in an ebook. The copy I have is Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales Bradbury Stories 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales by Ray Bradbury . It's huge & I'll probably have trouble with the carpal tunnel, but I'm going to try. :-)

message 39: by Les (new)

Les Gehman This is a good excuse to finally read this book. The movie is wonderfully creepy and one of my favorites.

message 40: by Faith (new)

Faith | 136 comments This is one of my all time favorites. I've read it countless times, but not in a while. I've been toying with the idea of pulling it off the shelf and now I have an excuse.

message 41: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 444 comments Faith wrote: "This is one of my all time favorites. I've read it countless times, but not in a while. I've been toying with the idea of pulling it off the shelf and now I have an excuse."

I've never read this, nor read anything by Ray Bradbury. It reminds me very much of a plot of a Stephen King novel. Can anyone comment on similarities in style between King and Bradbury?

message 42: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Faith wrote: "This is one of my all time favorites. I've read it countless times, but not in a while. I've been toying with the idea of pulling it off the shelf and now I have an excuse."

I've n..."

Let's leave that topic for the discussion thread! I think there's a lot to talk about in this book.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 551 comments GoodReads lists a Kindle edition, though...

message 44: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35438 comments I didn't see one on Amazon.

But I was in Books-a-Million today and picked up a copy. Kind of surprised they had it. They had don't seem to carry that many older books. Unless they are classics. Maybe they consider this a classic.

message 45: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

I ordered mine through Waterstone's.