Creative Writing discussion

Pass on Stories > The mystery about Derek---6

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kat (last edited Aug 31, 2010 07:44PM) (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments ((Please, never mention her name. I want it to be a mystery.))I sat on the bench, swinging my legs. My blonde hair flew in front of my face. I sweeped it back behind my ear, just for it to sweep back in front of my face again. The cold winter air cut through my heavy jacket as I waited for the bus to school. Derek was sitting next to me, not acknowledging that I was there at all. My best friend was jogging by the stop sign trying to stay warm. I rolled my eyes and tried to focus on the math problem in front of my. Ohh, it's divided by two not three. I wrote down the answer and tucked it in my expandable. My hat flew off. I cursed and ran to catch it. Derek sat their texting. I caught it and stared at the back of his head from far away. I sighed, no reaction. We used to hang out as kids, but that stopped a while ago. Now I could be invisible and he'd see no change. Our old band Crystalites broke down while ago when my best friend decided to quit her drumming position and then the guitar and base quit too. I never asked them why they quit, but I'm pretty sure it was because of the negative vibes me and Derek kept radiating to eachother. If you're thinking it was a fight, you're wrong. Just one day he decided to ignore me. I mean, what up with that? I have a small scar on my ankle from the night that I had yelled at him because I had asked him so many times why he was ignoring me and his answer was silence. It was winter and we were talking on the front porch and I slipped. Knocked out but sliced my ankle open. That was like the only time he talked to me. The next day it was nothing, and he actually cared to avoid me. Oh well, back to the present. I sat down by the bus stop again. Derek barely glanced, more like a flicker. Nobody would've been able to see it, but I trained myself to look at the details. Because I know that he acknowledges me, just not publicly. Or privately. Oh, the bus is here now. I climbed on, sitting alone. My best friend, Kallie sat across the aisle and we texted.
Kallie: OMG he didn't acknowledge you AGAIN
Me: Uh, yeah. It's been like, two years.
Kallie: *snorts* What's wrong with him? And more like 2 months.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I shook my head and stared out the window. It hurt to talk about it, and Kallie just didn't understand the emptyness I felt inside. I tried to keep my mind off Derek as the bus pulled into the school parking lot. I tried to think about other things as I put my stuff in my locker. No such luck though. He was always there, nagging at the back of my mind. And it wasn't like I could escape him; he was in most of my classes. I slammed my locker shut and stomped down the hallway and into my math class. I sat down in my usual seat in the back and watched as Derek walked in and sat on the opposite side of the room. Figures.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I snorted as Derek found a seat not near mine. Never would've guessed... Math never appealed to me. Derek would help me with it since I'm Mathematically Challenged. I glanced at him, very quickly, and saw him smiling at the girl next to him. She had red hair up to her shoulders, freckles clear as day, and a smile that never seemed to go away, as if it was carved into her. Derek's smile always seemed to light up my day, whether it was good or bad, but in this case, it's always neither. I am such an outcast, people just don't care about that. It gives off a negative vibe, though being alone most of the time comforts me. Almost like I'm never leaving home.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments I stared down at the paper that was being passed out, trying to ignore the jealousy I felt towards red-head. I sighed, dang was this paper hard. The teacher was probably gonna make me look dumb in front of the whole class when she asked for a volunteer to be my 'partner' which actually meant the person who'd get so annoyed they'd just do the work for me.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I looked down, embarresed, waiting for someone to volunteer. I looked up shocked when Derek volunteered. I looked at him questioningly as he moved to a seat near me and started working out the problems. "Are you going to talk to me now?" I asked hoarsly. But he didn't seem to hear my question. He just silently showed me how to work out the problems until the bell rang, signalling the end of class. I watched as he got up and left, catching up for the red-head girl who was waiting for him and the door. I frowned and grabbed my bag, shoving in my math book.

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments Kallie caught up to me in the hall. "There's been a lot of talk, they said that he was actually your partner." She said. It was known at my small high-school that we didn't talk. In Kansas there aren't many musically talented kids so we were like the bomb band. I shrugged, she gaped. "what did you do?"

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 04, 2010 08:06PM) (new)

I just stared at her. "I...I don't know. He just randomly came up to me. We didn't even talk for a second. His eyes didn't even meet mine." Kallie nodded. "there's also talk he's going out with a red-head. I've never seen here." I stared at her once more, feeling...well I don't know what I was feeling. My mind was racing a thousand times a second. My palms began to sweat. I walked away, a mixed emotion on my face. I bumped into the red-head, knocking her on the floor.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I started to apologize before I realized who it was. I didn't want to look like a jerk, so I extended a hand to help her up. "Sorry about that" I muttered. "I wasn't watching where I was going." She smiled shyly "It's alright, I wasn't either. I'm new here...hey! You were in my math class, right?" I nodded and coughed. "Gotta go" I walked passed her, heading to my next class.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments She stood there, dumbfounded at my hurried escape. I heard Kallie distantly 'toodle' and run after me. I saw Derek walk into the one class we didn't have together, P.E. Which is a shame because I always hurt myself in Gym. I walked into English which Kallie also had, the one subject I was good at.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

As Mrs. Yanez was reading a poem by William Shakespere, I looked to my right. Derek was staring at me with owl eyes. I quickly looked at the walls. Derek poked my shoulder. I turned and he handed me a note.

It said:
Do monsters like u alwayz bump girlfriends 2 da floor?
I crumpled the paper, feeling my face turn red. I tried to focus on the poem, but even if Shakespere was in my shoes, writting a poem wouldn't do you good. High school was a jungle.

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments I sighed and tossed one back after 5 minutes cause he kept tapping my shoulder. Why are suddenly talking to me? Am I non-diseased now or something? And to answer your question, I am not a monster. You got that role covered. My last words were harsh, but his no words were harsher. The past couple months he's tortured me. I didn't care if he was hurt. Well maybe a little...sorta...kinda...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I sighed and turned my attention back to the teacher. I tried to push Derek out of my mind, but I could see him writing furiously out of the corner of my eye. I suddenly became furious. He wasn't going to talk to me, but he could write me mean notes? Different emotions boiled up inside of me. Pain. Anger. Abandonment. And...hope? The bell rang and I lept out of my seat and rushed out of the door. I was suddenly afraid of what Derek might say in that note.

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments Kallie rushed up behind me with a note. "It's from him." She said. I shoved it away. "Tell him- If he can't say it to my face, I don't want to waste my time reading it." I said but grabbed it. I tore it into little pieces an d jammed it into a trash can.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

"You're crazy!" Kallie exlaimed as I watched the pieces float down to the trash. I almost smiled, watching them settle in the trash. Just about how I felt. I looked up to see Derek down the hall watching me. Was it just me, or was there a flicker of sadness on his face? Well, if there was, it was gone in a flash to be replaced by brooding. I turned on my heel and walked to my next class.

message 15: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments Kallie repeated her words, I shrugged. "Maybe I am, but tell him that he can't ignore me for two months then expect me to read his notes."

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Kallie shook her head and walked down the hall. I leaned against the wall and watched her. I could feel something heavy grow in the pit of my stomach. All the anger and sadness that had built up inside of me seemed to ball together at once. Why would he send me notes all of the sudden and but still not talk to me? It didn't make sense.

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments Kallie turned around. "You guys would make a great couple." She said. My eyes widened. I was about to say something but she was gone. I walked blindly into my next class, not focusing.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Where did that come from? I wondered. And we would not! He wasn't freakin' talking to me! That is not a healthy relationship. But I couldn't help but to think what it would be like...

message 19: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments I thought of the way Derek's black hair swept across his eyes. The way the blue pierces the very air that separates you from him. I remember when we were kids I was always an inch taller, as we went into junior high he shot up. It was always a competition.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I shook my head, trying to banish him from my thoughts. No! He was dating the red-head, remember? I told myself. Besides, unless he started talking to me again, nothing could happen. And would I even want him then? After completely ignoring for two months?

message 21: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments I kept telling myself this, but there was a knot in my stomach refusing to untangle. The teacher started talking, I tried to focus with no luck.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

The whole class period went by with me trying not to think about Derek. Which made me think about him. Before I knew it, the bell had rung and everybody else had left the class. "Are you alright?" my teacher said, walking over to me. "You seem distracted today." I mumbled that I was alright and left the class.

message 23: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments Derek 'accidently' knocked into me in the hall. I glared at him, picking up my books. "Watch where you're going." I shot at him. "Read the note." He persisted shoving another into my hand.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

"Why don't you just tell me?!" I practically yelled, throwing the note to the ground.

message 25: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments Derek shrugged. "Cause you'd murder me."

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I picked up the note and crumbled it into my hand. "You've got at least five seconds to tell me what's in this note. I'm not reading it, Derek. Just tell me already. I'm tired of you ignoring me all these months!" I held the wad of paper in my hands, started to smash it. I knew Derek was a big tree hugger. I hand him by a thread.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

We stood like that for a few minutes. Me, my heart pounding in my ears, glaring daggers at him. Him, a mixture of disapointment and anger written all over his face. And maybe...hurt? Finally he opened his mouth to say something.

message 28: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments He closed it again and shook his head. "No." He said absurdly and walked away. I had a feeling the silence was back on, because he walked up to red head and i watched horror strucken as they kissed lightly. I gritted my teeth as he walked to his next class. I ripped up the note and put it in the trash.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I could feel hot tears forming in my eyes. I pushed my way to the bathroom and locked myself in a stall. ALone, I let them fall freely. Why was he doing this to me? I pressed my cheek against the cool tile of the wall, waiting. I didn't know what I was waiting for though. An epiphany? The bell rang for the next class and I made myself open the door. I spalshed some water on my face, washing away any trace of tears. Then I headed to my next class.

(S) Asami Seo Hyun 桜연꽃 꽃 | 1050 comments Mod
I was almost late to class. Thank goodness that my seat was in the back row, quietly i sat down, not wanting to attract much attention. I was normally great in Social studies, but i've have other things on my mind. I feel like i could burst into tears, or rage any second, like when you cant control yourself, only you can.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

That's when I was called to the main office. Every head whirled to where I was at. Everybody "OOOOOOOO"ed as I left the classroom. Yeah, like I had nothing to worry about. As I opened the door, I saw Derek sitting on a chair. He waved at me with a smile. I ignored it. "Fancy meeting you here." He mouthed. That's probably as much as he'll talk as talking goes. As I approach the room where a group of teachers are sitting, the principle is at the corner. She smiles warmly at me. At this point, I'm lost in my sobs as she announces the couldn't find my father. He's lost in the war, no where to be found. I stand there, crying like an idiot when someone wraps their arms around me. Derek.

message 32: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments I shoved him away, ignoring the teachers. "No. You can not do this. You ignore me for two months and then just because... just because.... just becausee...." I couldn't say it. Instead I pointed a finger at his chest. "Go ahead and make out with red-head. See if I care." I said, tears dissapearing. They were replaced with anger and confusion. I burst out of the doors, running.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I do the first thing that comes to my head. I leave school, running to my house. I burst the door open, going to his room. I feel the silk sheets my mom has put on, making me drift off to sleep. I look to my right for a second, seeing a picture of my father and I. I grab hold of it, cradling it to my chest. As if daddy never left home.

message 34: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments The phone rang, it was mom from work. "Honey, why did you leav school?" She asked. "Because.." I replied. She could hear my sobs stuck in my throat. "Oh. They told you at school? I feel so bad. Derek called me and said he was coming over, isn't that sweet?" She said. I dropped the phone. The clatter on the floor and my mother's tries to get me to answer were distant. As if they were miles away. I stared off into space. I collapsed on the bed. The door opened, Derek had a key from the time he babysat my dog Lucy. "Hello? Are you here?" He asked. I heard Kallie's Rebooks' come up behind him. "She doesn't want to see you. She wants to see her best friend." She said, her words stinging like posion the way I knew she could. I could just see Derek's flinch. She was done trying to get me to talk to him. She was protecting me. And he was hurting me. I crawled to the banister. Kallie was facing me, Derek wasn't. He shook his head. "No. I have to talk to her."

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I shrunk away, clinging to the wall. I wished that this would all just go away. The last few months would just rewind and go away. Derek wouldn't be so weird, and my dad...I couldn't even think about that right now. I must have whimpered or moaned or something because both Derek and Kallie came running up the stairs. "Are you alright?" Derek asked, hovering near me. I didn't have time to answer him because Kallie shoved him away. "I told you she doesn't want to talk to you!"

message 36: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments Derek moved a few feet. Kallie's brown hair was flung in her face. She was as strong- maybe stronger then Derek. He gulped. "Really?" He asked me. I opened my eyes wider. "Are you kdding me?" I whimpered. I crawled into my room, Kallie following.

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 07, 2010 03:42PM) (new)

Once I got there, photo still attached to my skin, I flew to my bed, where I stared emotionless at the paintings my dad would send me from the war. I stared at every detail, smiling as I knew every one of these paintings were drawn by my dad's own hands. Kallie touched my shoulder. She looked at the paintings too. "You know, I was always jealous of you. Having a dad as sweet as yours." She smiled down at me. I looked away. Did the popular Kallie just tell me this? Derek was behind Kallie looking at the paintings as well. For the first time in ages, he looks at me straight in the eye and smiles. "I'm sorry." He mouths.
I'm starting to like the mute Derek rather then this new one.

message 38: by (S) Asami Seo Hyun 桜연꽃 꽃, Samurai (last edited Sep 08, 2010 01:18PM) (new)

(S) Asami Seo Hyun 桜연꽃 꽃 | 1050 comments Mod
I look back at the paintings, remebering every detail. Hoping, praying this is a missunderstanding. I feel like im a peach, without a pit. a endless hole that just goes back to pain.

((you guys can delete this if its bad))

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

((no, it's good!))

message 40: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments ((Very good))
Then I looked at Derek, I remembered a vauge memory. One I had shut out. He had given me a painting when we were tweens. Around 12-ish. It was quiet good, I remembered where I put it. He gave me a questioning look but I shook my head. He sat next to me, ignoring Kallie's push and shoves. He tried to place his hand on my shoulder but a shied away form his touch.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Derek stared at me intently. He suddenly picked a strain of hair from the back of my head and sighed. "If only your hair was red..." He whispered, his frown turning into a smirk. Back when we were kids, when ever Derek would do something that caused me to not talk to him, he'll give me an insult, leading me to yell at him. Some how, I forget all about those foolish memories and I'm filled with hate. "I HATE YOU!" I yell, tears streaking my face once again. I see Kallie pull in front of Derek like a savage beast, waiting to break Derek limb from limb.
But...it's not like that. He only smiles, pushing Kallie off of him like a pesky bee. And that's when his lips meet my cheek. "I know." He whispers.

message 42: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments i kicked him in the side. He grimaced but didn't move. I jumped off the bed and locked myself in the small closet. I could hear Kallie's and Derek's muffeled argument through the door. I lifted one of my Dad's shirts off the hanger, careful not to wrinkle it. I pressed it against my face, smelling like him.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I seemed to separate in two. I could hear Kallie and Derek arguing through the door with one side, while the other was in another world with my dad. I slid to the floor, clutching his shirt, flipping through memories of him. Some of our long talks in the park, and endless nights of silent stargazing. Playing sports and laughing about nothing in particular. I snapped out of my reverie when there was a loud knock at the door. "Please, let me in," Derek pleaded

message 44: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments I moaned. "Why?" I shot at him. "Why should I let you in, when you've been shutting me out for so long?" I asked. I could imagine him running a hand through his hair, "I don't know. You wouldn't get it."

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I pouted in the dark, anger seeping into my heart. Why did he keep saying that? He hadn't even tried to explain anything! How did he know I wouldn't understand?

message 46: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments I heard Kallie shove him out of the way forcefully. I heard him gasp and move. I imagined them staring eachother down.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I ignored them and focused back on my dad. In a way, it didn't feel like he was gone. It still felt like he was going to come home at any time. It just didn't feel real

message 48: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments I imagined him opening the door in his uniform. I imagined hugging him. I imagined us being a family.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I smiled as I imagined the scenarios, some of them memories. I was almost...happy. Until I heard a crash. I opened the door, irritated. "Will you guys just stop it!" I practically shouted. I looked at them and gasped

message 50: by Kat (new)

Kat (sugaraddict) | 688 comments ((Urmmm help!))

« previous 1