Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > Covers that make you stop and stare

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments So I breifly jumped to the Barnes and Nobles home page and a cover caught my attention. The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1) by Brent Weeks I saw this cover and thought "Hello! Who are you and what's your story?" He looked hot, dangerous, and conflicted (yes I got all of that from a cover.)

So, I wondered if anyone else out there had ever been completely drawn in by the man on the cover. Did you buy the book? Did it meet the expectations set by the man on the cover?

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (kittiescardigansbooks) | 207 comments That cover is amazing, and I think I need to check out that book and the authors other series! And the only reason I clicked on the link was because of the cover.

Covers definitely make a huge impression on me. If its a cool cover I automatically assume that it will be a cool book (doesn't always work out that way, but what can you do?)

One example of covers that drew me in are Nina Bruhns series, and the definitely met the expectations set by the man on the cover.
Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1) by Nina Bruhns If Looks Could Chill (Passion For Danger, #2) by Nina Bruhns A Kiss to Kill (Passion For Danger, #3) by Nina Bruhns

Lauren Dane's book Coming Undone (Brown Siblings, #2) by Lauren Dane is another example of great hot man cover, and great book (if only my library had the rest of the series...)

message 3: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments Ooooh, yeah I can see the draw in those covers. Especially A Kiss to Kill. I may have to check those out. I have not heard of that series or author before.

Now if you'll excuse I think I'll go back and drool over the purple cover. Nothin, like a half-naked man with a gun.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (kittiescardigansbooks) | 207 comments CeCe - you really should check them out, but they do need to be read in order!!! Just a warning! But they are really good!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments A cover that really caught my attention was:

Sinful by Charlotte Featherstone

And then these:

Nicholas (The Lords of Satyr, #1) by Elizabeth Amber Raine (The Lords of Satyr, #2) by Elizabeth Amber Lyon (The Lords Of Satyr, #3) by Elizabeth Amber Dominic (The Lords of Satyr, #4) by Elizabeth Amber Dane (The Lords of Satyr, #5) by Elizabeth Amber

Can you see a theme emerging lol

message 6: by Mollie *scoutrmom* (last edited Aug 30, 2010 05:20PM) (new)

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments Suzanne wrote: "A cover that really caught my attention was:...And then these..."

I agree, the covers are the thing that made me add these Lords of Satyr to my to-read.

message 7: by Nakia (last edited Aug 30, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

Nakia (nakiak) Suzanne wrote: "A cover that really caught my attention was:

Haha! That Nicholas cover jumped out and grabbed me. I just couldn't not buy it.

message 8: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
this one has me looking a bit too hard

Daring Time by Beth Kery

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "this one has me looking a bit too hard

Daring Time by Beth Kery"

Yep! Hard is the operative phrase (snicker snicker). What a great cover!

I like these:

Nauti Boy (Nauti, #1) by Lora Leigh Nauti Nights (Nauti, #2) by Lora Leigh Nauti Intentions (Nauti, #4) by Lora Leigh Nauti Deceptions (Nauti, #5) by Lora Leigh Nauti Dreams (Nauti, #3) by Lora Leigh

message 10: by Cherie (last edited Aug 30, 2010 10:13PM) (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments grrrr (can you hear my tongue roll?) for the Lords of Satyr.

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
Love the covers, Mollie. **drooling**

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments @ Pamela and CeCe... LOL!

message 13: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments Hey Mollie, have you read the Nautui Boys series? I read the first one and it was just okay to me so I haven't gone back for the rest of them. Are the other ones better?

message 14: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1 comments CeCe wrote: "Hey Mollie, have you read the Nautui Boys series? I read the first one and it was just okay to me so I haven't gone back for the rest of them. Are the other ones better?"

I've read all the Nauti Boys and the first one was definitely the weakest with the least desirable hero.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments It is a shame that the Satyr books aren't as good as their cover, or atleast I didn't think so! ut I still keep them as they are such lovely eye candy!

This books also caught my eye the other day so I had to buy it:

Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1) by Cherie Priest

message 16: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments Thank you, Beverly. I may give them another try. I do like some of Lora Leigh's other books.

LOL Suzanne. I think I would take those covers to a printer and have them blown up to wall paper my bedroom. Hell, I wouldn't mind doing my whole house.

message 17: by Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) (last edited Aug 31, 2010 11:21AM) (new)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments That is actually a great idea lol, I would have the "Nicolas & Lyon" Edition!

message 18: by Mollie *scoutrmom* (last edited Aug 31, 2010 11:51AM) (new)

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments CeCe wrote: "Hey Mollie, have you read the Nautui Boys series? I read the first one and it was just okay to me so I haven't gone back for the rest of them. Are the other ones better?"

Beverly wrote: "I've read all the Nauti Boys and the first one was definitely the weakest with the least desirable hero."

Beverly, I loved them all. CeCe, I'd suggest giving the second book a chance.

For a hot cover, today I bought Burning Up (Includes The Iron Seas, Prequel; Children of the Sea, #3.5; Psy/Changeling #0.5) by Angela Knight and Dark Peril (Carpathians, #21) by Christine Feehan . I think the guy on the second one looks younger and less dangerous than the first, but I know Carpathians are very very dangerous.

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments Suzanne wrote: "It is a shame that the Satyr books aren't as good as their cover, or atleast I didn't think so! ut I still keep them as they are such lovely eye candy!..."

Suzanne, if you tire of them, I'll make you a good offer on the lot.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (kittiescardigansbooks) | 207 comments @ CeCe - you should definitely give the other Nauti books a try. My fave was Nauti Nights (Nauti, #2) by Lora Leigh by far, but they are all good (I do agree that the first was my least favorite, and to be honest I just thought it was ok).

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments How about some Kresley Cole, I lover her book covers:

Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #9) by Kresley Cole Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole

Those are my fave ones of hers.

On a non "lets-stare-at-the-sexy-man-chests front, these are my fave:

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman

message 22: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments Ok, I'll put the next one in the Nauti Boy collection on my wish list.

Am I the only whose wish-list has grown by leaps and bounds because of this topic? My mountain of TBR books has grown into a mountain range.

message 23: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments Oh, Mollie, I love the Carpathians too. I think Lucian by far is my favorite Carpathian along with Darius and Gregori. Total Alpha males and completely dangerous. They need covers that do them justice- the more skin the better.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments I get so addicted to the Carpathian books, I have the same faves as you CeCe, Gregori and Lucian, infact any of those brothers will do! All I can remember about the carpathian covers were that they had faces on them like: Dark Fire (Carpathians, #6) by Christine Feehan .

message 25: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments (gasp)That is a new cover! It would have slowed me in my tracks if I had seen that originally. The cover I had for that book was Dark Fire (Carpathians, #6) by Christine Feehan
I definately like your cover better!

message 26: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments Hey Suzanne, just saw your post on the Kresely Cole books (not sure how I missed it before). I haven't read any of her books, but I have one in my mountain range of TBR books. Her covers always make me do a double take too.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments I got most of mine from the library and they have all the new covers, although I quite like the only covers aswell, they are a bit gothic.

You shouuld definatley give Kresley Cole books a go, her Immortals After Dark series is an amazing series and she has lots of yummy covers as well!

message 28: by Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (last edited Aug 31, 2010 03:58PM) (new)

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Suzanne wrote: "How about some Kresley Cole, I lover her book covers:"

Love that series! Lords of the Underworld is another good series with yummy covers....

The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld, #3) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) by Gena Showalter

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments Oh yes, those are really good too, I really like "The Darkest Whisper" cover

message 30: by Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (last edited Aug 31, 2010 04:09PM) (new)

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) And while we are stuck on hot guys...here are some more that are worthy of a good long stare! Love the not-so-subtle candy cane placement on the third one. LOL

A Tall Dark Cowboy by Mackenzie McKade The Chosen Sin by Anya Bast Hot for the Holidays (Includes Breeds, #20; Mageverse, #9; Stormwalker, Prequel) by Lora Leigh

message 31: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments I love the Lords of the Underworlds series. The covers are down right yummy. I think I like the Darkest Kiss because it seems he's looking right at you.

message 32: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 95 comments I have to break in here and put in the books that got me hooked on this Author, one of my very favorites. Pamela Clare
Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3) by Pamela Clare Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2) by Pamela Clare Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers, #1) by Pamela Clare

The arm bands and tat's are what did it for me!

message 33: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments Surrender soumds good! God knows I'd be willing to surrender to him! Yummy.

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments Jessa ♥§♥metalgirl80♥§♥ wrote: "...the not-so-subtle candy cane placement on the third one...."

Oh, yeah, it was a crying shame to have to put this one on my keeper shelf with the spine outwards. Now I'm beginning to consider a plate rail so I can make these covers part of my decor (*snickering* and *chuckling*).

message 35: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments Good idea, Jessa.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments Lol that sounds like a brillinat idea Mollie : p

I just added Surrender to my TBR pile, it looks good (and not just the cover lol)

I love the "Tall Dark Cowboy" cover, I may have to buy that just to stare at the cover : )

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments Suzanne wrote: "...I love the "Tall Dark Cowboy" cover, I may have to buy that just to stare at the cover..."

Some web enterprise is going to figure out how to sell us just posters of our favorite covers, then I'll have to max out my credit cards. ;0)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments That is a brillian idea, maybe I should go onto "Dragons Den" and present it as my buisness venture, do you think they would give me the moneylol?

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments Suzanne wrote: "That is a brillian idea, maybe I should go onto "Dragons Den" and present it as my buisness venture, do you think they would give me the moneylol?"

Couldn't hurt.

message 40: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments I think you already have some customers on this page. But why stop at posters. You could do decals for the e-readers, phones, laptops... I wouldn't mind having one of these guys on my Nook... but my husband might.;)

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments CeCe wrote: "I think you already have some customers on this page. But why stop at posters. You could do decals for the e-readers, phones, laptops... I wouldn't mind having one of these guys on my Nook... but..."

Attach a ring tone?

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments I got a new view of the guy across the street... enjoy, ladies

link to Mollie's neighbor

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments On facebook today, Christina Dodd featured this:
Primal Instincts by Susan Sizemore
(**fanning self**)

message 44: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (kittiescardigansbooks) | 207 comments Mollie wrote: "On facebook today, Christina Dodd featured this:
Primal Instincts by Susan Sizemore
(**fanning self**)"

The plus on that book (and all of Susan Sizemore's other hot guy covers) is that they are all pretty good books! That's what I love about cover hotties - when they are actually on good books!

message 45: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments I've had Susan Sizemore on my wishlist for a while, but haven't tried anything by her yet. Is she good?

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments Oh wow I am loving that cover Mollie! I also haven't read anything by Susan Sizemore beforem, but that cover is definately persuading me to check her out!

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments CeCe wrote: "I've had Susan Sizemore on my wishlist for a while, but haven't tried anything by her yet. Is she good?"

Yes, Amanda, I want to know too!

message 48: by Wan (last edited Sep 03, 2010 04:50AM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments Jessa ♥§♥metalgirl80♥§♥ wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "How about some Kresley Cole, I lover her book covers:"

Love that series! Lords of the Underworld is another good series with yummy covers....

[bookcover:The Darkest Pleasure|27..."

These would definitely catch my attention.

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (kittiescardigansbooks) | 207 comments I've read the first 4 books in Susan Sizemore's Primal series, and they were all pretty good - I would definitely recommend them if you like vampire books, and especially vampire/paranormal books that really have a world revolving them and their culture. They are the kind of books where there are the vampires and the vampire hunters (and the hunters are families that have been hunters for generations). That is if I am remembering everything correctly. I read the books about 3 or 4 years ago, so I could be confusing somethings.

The books weren't earth shattering or anything, but they were good and I think I'll have to check and see if my library has the rest now that I am reminded of this series!

Here are the books that I mentioned:
I Burn for You (Primes, #1) by Susan Sizemore , I Thirst for You (Primes, #2) by Susan Sizemore , I Hunger for You (Primes, #3) by Susan Sizemore , Master of Darkness (Primes, #4) by Susan Sizemore

The first three are all together in:
Crave the Night (Prime Series Omnibus I Burn for You / I Thirst for You / I Hunger for You) by Susan Sizemore

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments My notes show that I read I Burn for You (Primes, #1) by Susan Sizemore in January, but I don't remember anything about it or about doing so. That's a risk I take when I check things out of the library instead of buying a copy, but I'd rather save my money for

Sealed with a Wish by Lora Leigh Primal (Includes Breed, #24) by Lora Leigh Live Wire (Elite Ops, #7) by Lora Leigh Embraced (Bound Hearts, #6) by Lora Leigh Soul Deep (Breeds, #5)  by Lora Leigh Styx's Storm (Breeds, #22) by Lora Leigh Real Men Last All Night (Includes Lexi Steele, #1.5, Wounded Warriors, #1) by Lora Leigh Cowboy and the Thief by Lora Leigh Knight Stalker by Lora Leigh White Hot Holidays, Vol. I by Lora Leigh

« previous 1