The Wagon discussion

Reading: summer vs. winter

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine | 35 comments Just to get a bit of a discussion going on here, I thought I'd ask how your reading habits vary during the year. Do you find that you read more during one season than another? Or do you read pretty consistently through the year?

For me, I definitely read more in the winter than in the summer. With housework and yardwork, not to mention our pretty big garden, there just isn't a lot of time to read in the summer. I know I'll miss summer when it's dark & cold outside in mid-January, but part of me is really looking forward to having time to sit in front of the fire and read!

Christine S

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 8 comments I think my reading averages out to much the same each month although I have been doing a lot more this past month or so than usual. With nothing on TV except Jays games I was not getting much stitching done.

message 3: by Missy Ann (last edited Aug 30, 2010 03:43PM) (new)

Missy Ann (missyanntx) | 63 comments My reading isn't really tied to a season. It does go up and down in relation to how much stitching I'm doing. Right now I'm busy with my Halloween insanity, so I'm only managing 30minutes to a hour a night. When I'm in the mood to read and not stitch I can read 3 or 4 hours a day.

I do do a good bit of reading around Christmas - my b-day is the 27th and whatever books release by my favorite authors on the Tuesday closest to my birthday I call those my "birthday books". I usually buy 3 or 4 books that day and consider them a gift to me from my favorite authors.

message 4: by Mindy (new)

Mindy (mbogoo) | 5 comments My reading is about the same all year, as most of my reading is done on the train during my commute. Most of my free time at home is spent cross stitching or needlepointing.

However, when I visit my sister for about 2 weeks every summer I tend to get a lot of reading done, and I also get some done when I visit my parents in the fall, so I guess it's somewhat seasonal, but based more on vacation time than anything else.

Mindy in PA

message 5: by Raychill (new)

Raychill | 6 comments For me, it used to be summer was my "more serious book" reading time. Non fiction would make a large portion of this. Especially during the years I was working and doing school. So the term "beach read" for me was completely different (ask my family about the year I brought the biography of the toothpick to Mexico - not my best moment, but indicative of my idea of fun reading).

I tend to read my novels more during the winter. This is partially because I read fiction quickly, so a novel is about an evening of reading instead of a week or too. I'm also incapable of putting a good novel down and going to bed at a decent time. So I try to restrict reading new books to weekends.

During the rest of the time, I re-read books a lot. That's what makes having an e-book reader a great thing for me since I have a large selection of books to re-read in my pocket most of the time.

message 6: by Cebmd (new)

Cebmd | 12 comments I read a lot all year, although I may read a bit more in the summer, since I'm not watching as much regularly scheduled TV (I'll be stitching or knitting then). I've never really noticed, since I do read a fair amount all the time. If only we still worked downtown - I'd ride the subway rather than drive, and be able to get a lot more reading done.

message 7: by Kari (new)

Kari | 19 comments My reading is about the same all year long. Sadly, I have been reading more than stitching lately. Audiobooks have helped me get through more books.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 68 comments Mod
I tend to read more during the colder months. I stitch more too. In the summer there is always so much more to do out in the yard, and more going on socially. The same happens around Christmas for me. There's just too much to do, and time I would have spent on reading is spent on baking, or shopping/wrapping, decorating...

message 9: by Beth (Belzini) (new)

Beth (Belzini) (Belzini76) | 2 comments I'd say I read more during winter...but this year it's been reversed and will likely stay that way for the coming year. I wish I could stay awake to read a few chapters when I go to bed right now!! It really shouldn't be taking me two months to read Eat,Pray,Love!