The Rough Guide to Cult Fiction discussion

Chuck Palahniuk?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 8 comments I personally love him! but I know there are some people who hate his work. I would love to hear your opinions on him and if you do like him, which book is your favourite? If you dont like him can you explain what it is you dont like?

I loved fight club and wholeheartedly wish I had read it before I saw the movie. I also really enjoyed invisible monsters, diary & choke. I love how he creates these gritty chracters that you know you shouldnt really like but somehow you end up relating to them in one way or another. Plus I love his description of violence (I know this is an issue for some people but I am a huge horror movie fan and just find his graphic way with words amusing!)

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo I have read a few of his books. Personal favourite - Invisible Monsters. Least favourite - Survivor. Diary was good.

message 3: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 8 comments Yeah I really liked invisible Monsters but I also enjoyed survivor although the characters were not as appealing in that one. I loved diary though. That was probably my favourite next to fight club.

message 4: by Stefani (new)

Stefani | 18 comments Fight Club was a very entertaining book-funny, sardonic, and creative.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo I don't think i could possibly read Survivor in one go. I just can't read fast enough.

message 6: by Dahbuke (new)

Dahbuke | 1 comments I would have to say overall I enjoyed Choke, the backgrounds and situations that he created for each character was fantastic, however, in his book, Haunted, some of his stories were a little too graphic for my taste. And I believe most people will agree that Fight Club was brilliant.

message 7: by Stefani (new)

Stefani | 18 comments I just finished Haunted recently and was disappointed. The book had its moments of sheer suspense and shock, but overall I would say it was boring and pointless. Do you think this has anything to do with Chuck supposedly being a nihilist?

message 8: by Casey (new)

Casey I'm currently in the middle of fight club, and I'm glad that I never saw the movie. I love the book, it's the first by Palahniuk that I've read. I will definitely be reading more by him in the future. I've been trying to read new authors lately and I've really enjoyed Palahniuk's style.

message 9: by Casey (new)

Casey I was too young when the movie first came out to see it, I also thought it was about something else, but I did watch it after I finished the book. It was a good interpretation of it.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nathanlarry) Lullaby scared me. I loved Fight Club.