Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - Nov 2010 - Donald Bain (aka Jessica Fletcher)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Dec 09, 2010 04:12PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Our featured author is Donald Bain. You may not realize who he is as he's a professional ghostwriter. His official bibliography on his website, http://www.donaldbain.com/works.htm says this on the bottom... Contractual obligations prohibit Donald Bain from publicly taking credit for an additional 24 novels ghosted by him, as well as four non-fiction books written for business leaders. He may be most recognizable as the Murder, She Wrote "co-author" along with Jessica Fletcher. I realize a good portion of his works are not mysteries, but I wanted to feature the Murder, She Wrote series, and following our featured author format, also listing other works by the author. I discovered not everyone was aware that a series of books based on the TV series was available. The books are similiar to watching an episode, just an episode that was never filmed. If you liked the TV series, then you should enjoy the books. As an added benefit, for those doing the Read Around the USA challenge, many of the Murder, She Wrote books take place all over the country. As I figure out where each takes place, I'll add it to the list below. As a general note, these do not need to be read in order. True she has a friend whose a Scotland Yard detective that she runs into now and again, but it won't hurt any to read them out-of-order.

Murder, She Wrote Series
Published by Signet. Byline: Jessica Fletcher & Donald Bain
Murder, She Wrote: Manhattans & Murder – (1994) ***Reissued in 2007 - (New York City)
Murder, She Wrote: Rum & Razors – (1995) - (St.Thomas)
Murder, She Wrote: Brandy and Bullets – (1995) - (Cabot Cove, Maine)
Murder, She Wrote: Martinis and Mayhem – (1995) - (San Francisco, CA)
Murder, She Wrote: A Deadly Judgment – (1996) - (Boston, MA)
Murder, She Wrote: A Palette for Murder – (1996) - (Hampton Beach, NY)
Murder, She Wrote: Highland Fling Murders – (1997) - (Wick, Scotland)
Murder, She Wrote: Murder on the QE2 – (1997) - (Cruise Ship on Atlantic Ocean)
Murder, She Wrote: Murder in Moscow – (1998) - (Moscow, Russia)
Murder, She Wrote: A Yuletide Murder – (1998) - (Cabot Cove, Maine)
Murder, She Wrote: Murder at the Powderhorn Ranch – (1999) - (Colorado)
Murder, She Wrote: Knock'em Dead – (1999) - (New York City)
Murder, She Wrote: Gin and Daggers (Reissue) – (2000) - (London, England)
Murder, She Wrote: Trick or Treachery – (2000) - (Cabot Cove, Maine)
Murder, She Wrote: Blood on the Vine – (2001) - (California)
Murder, She Wrote: Murder in a Minor Key – (2001) - (New Orleans, LA)
Murder, She Wrote: Provence to Die for – (2002) - (France)
Murder, She Wrote: You Bet Your Life – (2002) - (Las Vegas, NV)
Murder, She Wrote: Majoring In Murder – (2003) - (Schoolman College, Indiana)
Murder, She Wrote: Destination Murder - (2003) - (Train in British Columbia, Canada)
Murder, She Wrote: Dying to Retire - (2004) - (Florida)
Murder, She Wrote: A Vote for Murder - (2004) - (Washington, D.C.)
Murder, She Wrote: The Maine Mutiny - (2005) - (Cabot Cove, Maine)
Murder, She Wrote: Margaritas and Murder - (2005) - (San Miguel de Allende, Mexico)
Murder, She Wrote: A Question of Murder - (2006) - (Berkshires, MA)
Murder, She Wrote: Three Strikes and You're Dead - (2006) - (Arizona)
Murder, She Wrote: Coffee, Tea, or Murder? - (2007) - - (Flight from Boston to London))
Murder, She Wrote: Panning For Murder - (2007) - (Cruise to Alaska)
Murder, She Wrote: Murder on Parade - (2008) - (Cabot Cove, Maine)
Murder, She Wrote: A Slaying In Savannah - (2008) - (Savannah, GA)
Murder, She Wrote: Madison Avenue Shoot - (2009) - (New York City)
Murder, She Wrote: A Fatal Feast - (2009) - (Cabot Cove, Maine)
Murder, She Wrote: Nashville Noir - (2010) - (Nashville, TN)
Murder, She Wrote: The Queen's Jewels - (Oct 5, 2010) - (London then Ocean Liner Queen Mary II on Atlantic Ocean)
Murder, She Wrote: Skating on Thin Ice - (Apr 5, 2011) - (Cabot Cove, Maine)
The Fine Art of Murder - (Fall 2011) - (Italy and Chicago)
Blood on a Pink Beach - - Currently being written - (Bermuda)

The author states on his website that... Remarkably, every book in the "Murder, She Wrote" series is still in print.

I've emailed the author via his website and let him know he was chosen as our featured author for Nov and gave him a link to our group in case he'd like to drop in and join us.

message 3: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Aug 30, 2010 02:51PM) (new)

The “Coffee, Tea or Me?” Series
Byline: Trudy Baker & Rachel Jones
Coffee, Tea or Me? The Uninhibited Memoirs of Two Airline Stewardesses – Hardcover Bartholomew House (1967) Note: Reissued as a Penguin Classic in 2003 and widely available.
Coffee, Tea or Me Girl's Round the World Diary – Hardcover Grosset & Dunlap (1970)
The Coffee Tea or Me Girls Lay It On the Line – Hardcover Grosset & Dunlap (1972)
The Coffee Tea or Me Girls Get Away From It All – Hardcover Grosset & Dunlap (1974)

NOTE: Softcover editions of all four books published by Bantam Books.

Other Comedies
Tender Loving Care – Hardcover Bartholomew House (1969) – Byline: Joni Moura & Jackie Sutherland
Softcover Fawcett
Girlpower – Fawcett Softcover (1971) – Byline: Kathy Cole & Donna Bain
How to Make a Good Airline Stewardess – Fawcett (1972) – Byline: Cornelius Wohl & Bill Wenzel
If It Moves, Kiss It – Fawcett (1973) – Byline: Joni Moura & Jackie Sutherland
We Gave at the Office – Fawcett (1974) – Byline: Laura Mills & Pauline Burlick
Fly Me – Fawcett (1974) – Byline: Cornelius Wohl & Bill Wenzel
Teachers Pet – Fawcett (1975) – Byline: Janet McMillan & Mitzi Sims
The Casting Couch and Me – U.S. Hardcover Walker Publishing Co. – Byline: Joan Wood; British Hardcover and softcover Peter Elk
U.S. softcover Pocket Books (1976)
Wall Street & Broad – Dell (1976) – Byline: Teri Palmer

J.D. Hardin Western Series
The following nine softcover titles were published by Playboy Press between 1980 and 1983 under the byline J.D. Hardin.

Bloody Sands
The Spirit & the Flesh
Death Flotilla
Lone Star Massacre
Raider's Revenge
Raider’s Hell
Apache Gold
Bibles Bullets Brides
Death Lode

“Toma” Novels
The Airport Affair – Dell Publishing (1975) – Byline: David Toma & Jack Pearl
The Affair of the Unhappy Hooker – Dell Publishing (1976) – Byline: David Toma & Jack Pearl

Crime Novels
Sado Cop – Playboy Press (1976) – Byline: Nick Vasile
A Member of the Family – Hardcover Tor (1993) – Byline: Nick Vasile
Softcover – Forge (1995)
Raven – Lyle Stuart (1987) – Byline: Mike Lundy
Baby Farm – Lyle Stuart (1987) – Byline: Mike Lundy

Historical Romantic Novels
Daughter of the Sand – Playboy Press (1978) – Byline: Pamela South
The Eagle & the Serpent – Jove (1982) – Byline: Lee Jackson
Texas Lily – Charter Books (1987) – Byline: Stephanie Blake

Other Books
The Racing Flag – Pocket Books (1965) – Byline: Bloys Britt & Bill France
Veronica – British Hardcover W.H. Allen (1969) – Byline: Veronica Lake
U.S. Hardcover Citadel Press (1969)
The Case Against Private Aviation – Cowles Book Co. (1969) – Byline: Donald Bain
Long John Nebel – Macmillan Publishing Co. (1974) – Byline: Donald Bain
The Control of Candy Jones – Playboy Press (1976) – Byline: Donald Bain
Club Tropique – Fawcett (1978) – Byline: Donald Bain
War in Illinois – Prentice-Hall (1978) – Byline: Donald Bain
Charlie & the Shawneetown Dame (Reissue of War in Illinois) – Purdue University Press(2004) – Byline: Donald Bain
Caviar, Caviar, Caviar – Lyle Stuart (1981) – Byline: Gerald M. Stein & Donald Bain
The "Girls" in the Newsroom – Charter Books (1983) – Byline: Marjorie Margolies
The World’s Best Bartenders’ Guide – HP Books (1998)– Byline: Joseph Scott & Donald Bain

Murder He Wrote: A Successful Writer's Life by Donald Bain

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I've got most of the Murder, She Wrote series so will be reading one of those. Although not sure which one yet. I'll decide that later.

I've tried reading Coffee, Tea, or Me? and managed to only get halfway through the book before quitting. It may have been really cool in the '60s but it was so dated now I had serious trouble finishing it and gave up. I put them on PBS (the original and the next sequel) and the sequel is still available if anyone is interested in it.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "I've got most of the Murder, She Wrote series so will be reading one of those. Although not sure which one yet. I'll decide that later.

I've tried reading Coffee, Tea, or Me? and managed to only..."

I read COFFEE, TEA OR ME when I was about 13. Thought it was great back then. I'm sure I wouldn't think so now!

message 6: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I tried reading it last year. Since it was written 43 years ago, it's a bit dated now! lol

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 622 comments I think I read Coffee, Tea or Me a long time ago, but don't remember anything about it.

message 8: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

It's a story about stewardesses from the 1960's. All sorts of stories about young stewardesses who share apartments and flights together, after completing training, and the stories of the folks they run into along the way. I got half way through and it was clean with no sex, just extremely dated and boring.

message 9: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments I'll give this a try. Never watched the show or read any of the books.

message 10: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

It's been quite awhile since I managed to catch an episode on tv. Occassionally it's still aired on some networks that show older tv shows. Let's see... Jessica Fletcher is an older (ie in her 60s) mystery writer that lives in Cabot Cove, Maine. Wherever she goes, at home or on her travels, she tends to stumble upon dead bodies. She is very good at unraveling clues to find the killers, and is frequently called upon to help. Very cozy series. Little to no blood, lots of deduction, clue finding and mystery solving.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 622 comments I love the TV show, but have not read any of the books. I'm looking forward to checking some of them out.

message 12: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I just got a reply to my email to the author, Donald Bain. He said his wife, Renee, who helps him write this series, has put our Featured Author for Nov on their calendar so they can drop in and join in our discussions as we read their books. :)

message 13: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments I'll be reading Murder, She Wrote A Fatal Feast (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher

message 14: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Briansgirl - That's terrific! Donald is a great guy and I hope we have lots of great discussions. : )

message 15: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Caroline wrote: "Briansgirl - That's terrific! Donald is a great guy and I hope we have lots of great discussions. : )"

I'm contacting the authors each month to let them know they were choosen as our featured author, if they have an email address listed on their official websites. I don't know how many will join us, but it'll be nice when they do.

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma | 109 comments Finally! Others who read Murder, She Wrote. Being 21, I am constantly poked fun at because of my love of Murder, She Wrote. I started falling in love with Cabot Cove as a child when my grandmother would play the series on TV. As I got older, I discovered the books, have read all but one (I cannot bring myself to end it) and recently watched all the seasons that the library had available (I believe I only have on season left of that, too).
I find Jessica and her friends so comforting and will be so sad when her books end. Hopefully someone will pick up the series when Donald Bain finishes.

message 17: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Emma, a new one is scheduled to come out in April and the author is currently writing another one right now to be released after that. So the series hasn't ended yet although I don't know how long he will continue to write it. It's something we can ask him if he does drop by in November.

message 18: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Sep 16, 2010 06:34PM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17292 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "Finally! Others who read Murder, She Wrote. Being 21, I am constantly poked fun at because of my love of Murder, She Wrote. I started falling in love with Cabot Cove as a child when my grandmother..."

Emma, if it makes you feel better, my 5-yr-old niece loves watching Murder, She Wrote, has been a fan for about two years now. As much as she loves books, I've sure it won't be too many years before she discovers those as well. lol

message 19: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Copp (caitkom) | 199 comments Emma wrote: "Finally! Others who read Murder, She Wrote. Being 21, I am constantly poked fun at because of my love of Murder, She Wrote. I started falling in love with Cabot Cove as a child when my grandmother..."

Emma I am with you 100%. I have always been a lover of Murder, She Wrote, all through middle school and high school! When I first got a DVR, I recorded every episode as well as collected the books!

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma | 109 comments Caitlin wrote: "Emma wrote: "Finally! Others who read Murder, She Wrote. Being 21, I am constantly poked fun at because of my love of Murder, She Wrote. I started falling in love with Cabot Cove as a child when m..."

I a so glad to see I am not the only one. When I worked at our local library, I would always try and be first on the list for the Murder, She Wrotes, so it was eventually well known that I had an obsession with everything Murder, She Wrote. People started asking me how my "friend, Jessica Flecther" was doing. I just feel lucky to have "friends" like Jessica and her pals!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments Super Excited! I got a "two books" in one Jessica Fletcher book at Border's today for $3.00! The funny thing is that I saw another copy of the same book on the mystery shelves for around $18.00. Score for me :) Now I have until Nov. to read it.

message 22: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Great Heidi. Which two novels did you get?

message 23: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3823 comments Mod
I've loved them too (and my mother). I've just got the first one "Gin & Daggers" at Kobo with a special coupon, so only 3,49$, which is good for me (I can't find the books at the library or any store)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "Great Heidi. Which two novels did you get?"

I got this one Murder, She Wrote Murder Never Takes a Holiday (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher , which will be a perfect read in Nov. since it is close to the holidays :)

message 25: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) | 134 comments I just received in the mail yesterday Murder, She Wrote A Vote for Murder (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher (it will be my D.C. book for the 50 state challenge) and Murder, She Wrote A Yuletide Murder (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher to get me in the Christmas spirit. Looking forward to reading these after reading all the positive "good cozy" comments.

message 26: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Yes, the books will really help with the Read around the USA challenge.

message 27: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments LOL. There are 50 states PLUS DC (which isn't). But I guess you're doing 50 + 1, right? (How about American Samoa? and other territories?) Okay. I'm sorry. I just got bitten by the silly bug. Don't mind me.

message 28: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

sure Caroline, go ahead and amend your own challenge list to include those. I'd like to see you find a book, or better yet a cozy mystery set in American Samoa! lol

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma | 109 comments Just bought a Fatal Feast last night. It'll be the last Murder, She Wrote for me. Until another one comes out anyway. Thought it would get me in the festive Autumn spirit!

message 30: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Dec 01, 2010 07:55AM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 73 comments I'll be reading:

Murder, She Wrote Destination Murder (Murder, She Wrote Mystery) by Jessica Fletcher Murder, She Wrote: Destination Murder

Finished the book 11.29. Really enjoyed it. It was my first Jessica book read and I plan to read more of them.

message 31: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Just bought (and will read soon) The Queen's Jewels (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher . Donald, if you drop in on this topic, I hope you and Renee can come to Malice next year! I missed you this year. : )

message 32: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Oct 02, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Enjoy Caroline. It sounds good. Donald said he and his wife would drop in, but I don't expect them until his featured month of Nov. (Not that he won't scroll up to read all the posts later.)

message 33: by Donna (new)

Donna | 27 comments I just bought Murder, She Wrote Trick or Treachery by Jessica Fletcher , and plan to get Murder, She Wrote A Fatal Feast (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher .

message 34: by Katrina (last edited Oct 02, 2010 11:11PM) (new)

Katrina | 20 comments I am about halfway through Murder, She Wrote Panning For Murder by Jessica Fletcher . My husband and I went on a cruise very similar to the one in the book but ours was Anchorage to Vancouver for our honeymoon in June 2009. When I found out there was a mystery book that took place on such a cruise, I knew I had to read it. After I read this one, I am going to follow it with another mystery writen on an Alaskan Cruise.

After I read Panning, I am thinking I will get either Murder, She Wrote Trick or Treachery by Jessica Fletcher or Murder, She Wrote A Vote for Murder (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher . Haven't really decided yet, I wanted to read Trick for Halloween but booksfree took FOREVER shipping out my last shipment that I am just not sure they will be enough time. Vote would be a good Nov one though.

message 35: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Briansgirl - I'll send it to you when I'm done. I honestly don't think I can hold off until November to read it. LOL

message 36: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Oct 04, 2010 09:06PM) (new)

Thank you Caroline! With my fiance being British, I just love the idea that that one is set in London.

I can't decide which to read for December. I'm going to break down and read some of them early as I need different locations for the challenges. I'd read Murder, She Wrote: Trick or Treachery for Halloween but read it last year! lol

message 37: by Kate (last edited Oct 13, 2010 09:17AM) (new)

Kate (kate28) | 141 comments I just finished reading Murder, She Wrote Trick or Treachery by Jessica Fletcher and it was the perfect Halloween read. Next I'm going to read Murder, She Wrote A Fatal Feast (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher which takes place during Thanksgiving. We'll see if I can wait until November to read it! And I'm REALLY excited to start Murder, She Wrote Murder Never Takes a Holiday (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher which is a compilation of two different Christmas themed mysteries. I'm all set for the holiday season!

message 38: by Kate (last edited Oct 12, 2010 01:37PM) (new)

Kate (kate28) | 141 comments Yikes! Can someone tell me how to post the book pictures? :)

message 39: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) | 134 comments Kate on the upper right of the comment box where you type your message just click on "add book/author" and you can search for any book and then either add the link or a picture of the cover.

message 40: by Kate (new)

Kate (kate28) | 141 comments Thank you so much Daphne!

message 41: by Kim (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) I'm going to read Murder, She Wrote: Trick or Treachery for a Halloween challenge. Oh wait, was it this group? LOL I loved the show and we have some of the DVDs. I've never read the books and look forward to it.

message 42: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I read that one last year Kim and it's good. :)

message 43: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Well, technically, I read The Queen's Jewels (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher before November started but I just couldn't wait! It was great fun (even though I'm not a cruise person) and I loved that there were lots of Jessica's "old friends" in this book. Good work, Donald!

message 44: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

This month I'm reading The Queen's Jewels (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher , Murder, She Wrote A Fatal Feast (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher and Murder, She Wrote Highland Fling Murders (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher .

message 45: by Kim (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) I have this quirk that I can't the read the same author too close together. I do have Murder, She Wrote: A Slaying In Savannah, but I'll wait on that one.

message 46: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I plan on spacing these out Kim as I can't read these back-to-back either. Was going to read Highland Fling first. Mid month The Queen's Jewels and saving A Fatal Feast for Thanksgiving week.

message 47: by Salena (new)

Salena (salenamom23) | 19 comments I'll be reading Murder, She Wrote Brandy and Bullets (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher and Murder, She Wrote A Deadly Judgment (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher . Can't wait! I love the show, but haven't read any of the books!

message 48: by Mary (new)

Mary Kennedy | 27 comments Wanted to reply to say, "You will love A Slaying in Savannah." It was one of the books I reviewed when I was writing for the Examiner. It's terrific, hope you get to it soon. I can't decide which Murder She Wrote to read next--they all are wonderful.

message 49: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3823 comments Mod
I've just finished Murder, She Wrote Gin and Daggers (Murder, She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher and I've liked it a lot, it has been like watching the TV-Series, and I've enjoyed greatly. I'll be reading Murder, She Wrote: A Fatal Feast for Thanksgiving, but I'm going to wait a bit.

message 50: by Emma (new)

Emma | 109 comments I think I will be reading the last two Murder, She Wrotes I have left. I recently purchased The Queen's Jewels, which I am sure I will love, and A Fatal Feast, which I hope to save until Thanksgiving weekend as many others are doing. But then it will be a while before I have another Jessica Fletcher to read...

The Queen's Jewels (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher
Murder, She Wrote A Fatal Feast (Murder She Wrote) by Jessica Fletcher

« previous 1