Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive Discussion > Molly Harper ~ Jane Jameson series ~ 3rd to 5th September

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
Molly Harper ~ author of the Jane Jameson series - 3 to 5 September

I'd like to introduce Molly Harper and thank her for agreeing to take part in our featured Goodreads UF/PNR author Q & A. Molly is our first author to take part so please welcome her. (please also take quick look at how the Q&A works, follow this link ***) I hope we all enjoy this opportunity to ask Molly questions. Please post all questions in this thread.

Molly is the author of the Jane Jameson series and will release the first book in new werewolf romance series How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf in February 2011.

The Jane Jameson Series:
Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs
Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men
Nice Girls Don't Live Forever

To find out more about Molly and her books visit
Mollys website - Molly Harper
Mollys blog - Nice Girls Don't Write Naughty Books
Molly on goodreads - Molly Harper

About Molly ~ from her website
My mother remembers an 8-year-old me setting up my “writing office” in our living room by putting her old manual typewriter on the couch next to a toy phone. And I (very slowly) pecked out the story of my third-grade class taking a trip around the world and losing a kid in each city.

I had a dark sense of humor, even then.

In high school, when other girls my age were writing poems about dying unicorns and bleeding roses, I was writing essays about having political arguments with my dad at the dinner table. (Whoever made the other person laugh at their own political party won the argument.) I knew I wanted to write when I grew up, but I also knew there was very little chance I could make a living writing books, so I went for the next best thing – newspaper writing.

I majored in print journalism at Western Kentucky University and used my shiny new degree to get a job at my hometown newspaper. I married my high school sweetheart, David, a local police officer. And for six years, I wrote about school board meetings, quilt shows, a man “losing” the fully grown bear he kept as a pet in his basement, and a guy who faked his death by shark attack in Florida and ended up tossing pies at a local pizzeria.

I loved my job at the paper. I loved meeting new people every day and never knowing where I would end up. But somehow, the ever-shifting schedules of a police officer and a reporter did not equal "family friendly." One of us needed to take a normal job for the sake of our young daughter. I took a secretarial position at a local church office, which left me with dependably free evenings for the first time in my adult life. David was working the night shift that summer and I was losing.my.mind. We were living in "The Apartment of Lost Souls" while building our new home. This was the place where appliances and small electronics went to die. Every night I would tuck our snoozing child into bed and wait for the washing machine to start smoking or the computer to suddenly flash the "blue screen of death." Then there was the plague of frogs in the bathroom that put our daughter of potty-training for about six months.

Normally, when things get tough, I can take solace in reading. But I surveyed my packing box of favorite books with the apathetic air of someone who stands in front of the open refrigerator for 10 minutes and can't find anything. Nothing sounded good. So I just sat down and started writing something I would want to read.

Being a huge fan of vampire movies and TV shows, I wondered, what would be the most humiliating way possible to be turned into a vampire- a story that a vampire would be embarrassed to share with their vampire buddies over a nice glass of Type O. Well, first, you'd have to make the protaganist a bit of an accidental loser. She's single, almost 30, and a librarian working in the small Kentucky town where she grew up. This "triple whammy of worry" has made her a permanent fixture on her Mama's prayer list. And despite the fact that's pretty good at her job, she just got canned so her boss could replace her with someone who occasionally starts workplace fires. She drowns her sorrows at the local faux nostalgia-themed sports bar and during the commute home, she's mistaken for a deer and then shot by a drunk hunter. And then she wakes up as a vampire.

And thus, Jane Jameson and the wacky denizens of Half-Moon Hollow were born.

It took me almost a year to complete and edit a draft of the book, which I planned as the first in a three-book series. I spent three months using agentquery.com to ruthlessly stalk potential literary agents. (There were a lot of lists involved, I don't want to re-live it.) I was gently rejected by at least half of them. I corresponded with some very nice, very patient people, but ultimately signed with the fabulous Stephany Evans of Fine Print Literary Management. Stephany was willing to take to the time to give me advice on how to improve my book before she even signed me. That meant a lot. And when she sold the series at auction about a month later, it was obvious I'd made the right choice.

The Jane Jameson series was released in 2009, followed by my first non-paranormal trade paperback, AND ONE LAST THING... in July 2010. Pocket Books will release my first werewolf romance, HOW TO FLIRT WITH A NAKED WEREWOLF in February 2011.

message 2: by Mariya (last edited Aug 30, 2010 12:35PM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i loved your jane jameson series, it was one of my first adult paranormal reads, and what a great read that was.

Q: will you be writing any addtional books to the jane jameson series?

Q: do you happen to knoe when the cover will be revealed for your, how to flirt with a naked werewolf book?

message 3: by ~Vixhen~ (new)

~Vixhen~ (vixhen) | 53 comments Hi Molly:

Q. I think a lot of readers are "closet writers." When you were writing the Jane Jameson series, did you forgo reading other writers' work until your book was completed?

Q. When introducing a character, do you have an idea beforehand of how they will develop or does the character just come to you as you are writing?

message 4: by Felon (new)

Felon | 68 comments Molly you're books are hilarious! I tore through them in a single weekend.

Q: Will your new series have characters from the wolf pack in the Jane series?

message 5: by Cindy (last edited Aug 31, 2010 04:14AM) (new)

Cindy (justcindy) Molly, I love Jane and all the characters from Half Moon Hollow. I hope you will continue to write about them. In my opinion this series is different in that all of the secondary characters are memorable and can carry a scene. In fact, I feel as if I know each of the characters.

Q: Do you base your characters on people you know or are they compilations of several people?

Q: Will your secondary characters have a spin off series?

message 6: by Molly (new)

Molly Harper (mollyharper) | 7 comments Hi Vixhen,

Thanks! I have spoken to my publisher about a fourth Jane book and they are considering it now. (Cross your fingers!)

I will reveal the cover for the new werewolf book on my blog. http://singleundeadfemale.blogspot.com as soon as the publisher gives me permission. I can tell you, though, that it is awesome.

BTW, I'm running a "follower drive" at my blog. If I reach 200 followers, I will post an extended preview of HOW TO FLIRT WITH A NAKED WEREWOLF.

message 7: by Molly (new)

Molly Harper (mollyharper) | 7 comments Vixhen, I answered Mariya's questions to you. It's early, I'm sorry!

Yes, I was a huge reader before I started writing. My husband set aside a certain amount of our budget as "Molly's Paperback $." But when I started writing, that took up the time I once spent reading. Now, I only get to read when we're traveling, unless I'm working on a deadline as I am right now. I'm traveling to Indiana this weekend for a signing, so I'm taking my laptop with me and will work in the hotel.

I did avoid certain authors because I didn't want to emulate them. The Twilight books became popular while I was writing the Jane books, but I didn't want to be influenced by her story, so I put off reading them until 2008. (And I loved them.)

As for the characters, sometimes they come to me fully formed, and other times, they pick up little quirks along the way.

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly Harper (mollyharper) | 7 comments Felon-

Thanks! The new wolf series will focus on the same type of wolf and there will be hints of the Jane universe, but there won't be shared characters or the same setting.

Molly

message 9: by Molly (new)

Molly Harper (mollyharper) | 7 comments Cindy,

My mom always asks me to tell people that Jane's mom is NOT based on her. For the most part, the characters aren't based on people I know, but they do occasionally include little quirks from my family and friends.

In the new wolf book, one of the characters severs a tendon in his hand trying to cut a coke bottle in half. My brother, a culinary student, did the same thing with one of his fancy ceramic knives, trying to complete an arts and craft project. He says I owe him a dollar for every book sold. I would argue with him, but he has all those knives...

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) | 38 comments Molly,
Does becoming a writer make you less interested in reading books? I had a creative writing teacher that said he had studied writing so much that he no longer enjoyed reading because he would pick out all the mistakes.

message 11: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Sep 03, 2010 05:29AM) (new)

Hi Molly,

Welcome to the Q & A, thank you for taking the time to visit!

What advice can give to a budding authors among us? I think there are quite a few of us around that kind of dip our toes in the water but have never managed to take the next step!

Why did you choose to write in the paranormal genre?

message 12: by ~Vixhen~ (new)

~Vixhen~ (vixhen) | 53 comments Molly wrote: "Vixhen, I answered Mariya's questions to you. It's early, I'm sorry!

Yes, I was a huge reader before I started writing. My husband set aside a certain amount of our budget as "Molly's Paperback ..."

Thanks, Molly!

message 13: by Valorie (new)

Valorie Hi Molly!
Just wanted to say I love, love, love the Jane Jameson series! Hopefully your publisher will include more books in the lineup! I'm dying for some more Jane!! I'm also looking forward to the new werewolf books! Keep up the smart & funny writing we all love so much!

message 14: by Molly (new)

Molly Harper (mollyharper) | 7 comments Hi Danielle,

Well, my reading time is more limited, so I get a litte more annoyed when I spend that reading time is spent on a bad book. I'm a little more aware of the technical aspects of the writing, but I still like reading.

Molly

message 15: by Molly (new)

Molly Harper (mollyharper) | 7 comments Thanks, Valorie!

message 16: by Molly (new)

Molly Harper (mollyharper) | 7 comments Jen,

You have to keep writing. No matter what, you need to have the discipline to write every day. Writers write. Taking classes, reading books on technique, joining writing groups, that's a valid use of your time, but you have to devote time to writing.

And it was natural that I went into the paranormal genre. I've always had an interest in vampires, witches and ghosts. My mom worried about me a lot when I was a kid.

message 17: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Molly,

Do you have a particular place where you write or which inspires you the most?