Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Book of the Month (BOM) > (Sept 2010) Soulless - *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
This is our chosen Book of the Month for September :D

Spoilers ARE allowed so you are forwarned!

message 2: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Did you like the main character[s:]?
Do you like the plot?
What do you like about the world creation the most?
Do you think you would recommend this book to others?
Would you change anything?
Would you read other books by the author [feel free to link the ones you have read/reviewed:]?
Are you going to read the rest of the series?
How long did it take you to get into the book?

message 3: by Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (last edited Sep 02, 2010 08:56PM) (new)

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) Did you like the main character[s:]?
I really enjoyed the main characters, Alexia was a tough and feisty heroine which I love and who doesn't like a dark and sexy werewolf like Lord Conall Maccon?! One of my faves was Lord Akeldama, he was extravagant and extremely funny throughout the book! Also liked Professor Lyall and Floote (reminded me of Alfred from Batman..LOL).

Do you like the plot?
I thought this was an original take on the paranormal world and enjoyed the mix of action and romance with some humor. It was the perfect blend. Love that the romance was not dragged out and filled with a ton of obstacles which is common in some paranormal romance books.

What do you like about the world creation the most?
I like that vampires, werewolves and preternaturals were known and to some extent accepted in society, it wasn't some huge secret as it is in other books. Also liked how the "supernaturals" all co-existed with each other. I found it very interesting that Alexia's "soullessness" allowed her to negate supernatural powers...that came in handy a few times!

Do you think you would recommend this book to others?
I would definitely recommend this book to others, especially paranormal romance lovers.

Would you change anything?
I'd add a few more romantic scenes with Alexia and Lord Maccon but I know that was not possible with everything going on in the first book, maybe that will change in the next book.

Would you read other books by the author [feel free to link the ones you have read/reviewed:]?
This was my first book by this author but it won't be my last!

Are you going to read the rest of the series?
I already have the next two in the series waiting for me on my ereader!

How long did it take you to get into the book?
I will admit it took me a few chapters to really get into the book but once the story began to develop I was intrigued to find out what would happen next.

message 4: by Lisa O. (last edited Sep 20, 2010 12:27PM) (new)

Lisa O. | 77 comments Finished this book this weekend and I loved it, it was much better than I was expecting! *****

Did you like the main character[s:]? I loved Alexia's character. She has such a strong personality and doesn't hold anything back. I though all of the side characters were great too, I don't think there were any characters that were annoying and didn't have a place in the book.

Do you like the plot? I thought the plot was interesting. I was glad that it wasn't another book where the hero has to step up and save the whole world, keeping it smaller scale was more believable. And it had just enough romance to keep it exciting, and yet allowed the rest of the plot to be important.

What do you like about the world creation the most? I really liked the differences in vampires and werewolves in this book. It's really hard to create a new paranormal being which presents a new challenge and weakness for them.

Do you think you would recommend this book to others? Definitely!

Would you change anything? Honestly no, I really like how everything turned out.

Would you read other books by the author [feel free to link the ones you have read/reviewed:]? I haven't yet, but I think I will.

Are you going to read the rest of the series? Yes, I can't wait to see what Alexia gets into next.

How long did it take you to get into the book? Not long, I'd say by the first chapter or two I was interested, and by the next one or two I was hooked.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) I rather loved this one. a totally delightful Victorian comedy of manners a la Austen that just happens to be about some werewolves & whatnot. I'm a big fan of the in-period dialogue, and how it managed to never be too cutesy. in fact, liked it enough that I just scooped up the 2nd one on kindle...aaah, the magic of instant purchase!