What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > Middle Eastern Cinderella type tale? [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaion (last edited Aug 30, 2010 11:55AM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 391 comments Found this: The Golden Sandal: A Middle Eastern Cinderella Story, which is obviously not it, but see here: "65. The Golden Sandal: A Middle Eastern Cinderella Story by Rebecca Hicox. Based on a Cinderella story from Iraq called 'The little red fish and the clog of gold' in Inea Bushnaq's Arab folktales. An Iraqi version of the Cinderella story in which a kind and beautiful girl who is mistreated by her stepmother and stepsister finds a husband with the help of a magic fish."

Of course Cinderella stories with a fish are probably pretty common...
http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/ci...

message 2: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 53 comments Maybe The Persian Cinderella. I realize that it's Persian and not Middle Eastern, but the description lacks any mention of a fish.

message 3: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 18 comments Anna, I think I have read this one. Is the girl's name Karin? The fish was in the royal ponds as it kept growing?

message 4: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 18 comments Let me see if I can locate the book it was in. It was one of the stories in an anthology of folk tales. Hope it's the right one though:-)

message 5: by Philip (last edited Sep 04, 2010 12:19PM) (new)

Philip (philiphabecker) | 24 comments I just read Bound a Chinese Cinderella folk-tale which included a semi-magical fish, but it didn't grant wishes.

Just a thought in case you still haven't found it.

message 6: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 18 comments I'm pretty sure I read the same story you did, but now I can't find the book! Argh! I will not be defeated. Will definitely let you know when I find it.

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy | 1 comments At Bloomsbury Qatar we have just published the story of Hamda and Fisaikra, which is a version of the Arabian Gulf story you're looking for. It's written by Kaltham Al Ghanem of Qatar University. You can find it on amazon.co.uk although it doesn't have the cover image there yet

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Anna wrote: "I'm moving this to solved even though it's not exactly the version I was thinking of. Thanks again!"

Someone might find your version, Anna, so feel free to move it back to the unsolved folder if you want to find it. We have members here who know many versions of these types of tales.

message 9: by Dina (new)

Dina | 37 comments I have lesson plans and extension ideas for the unit it sounds like you are doing. If you'd like info about it I'd be glad to share. You can email me at: profesora 94@mail.com

if you are interested.