Amazon Kindle discussion

Free Kindle Books

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments Ok, so I mentioned in a post that I haven't actually purchased a Kindle book yet, I just download the free ones. Soo, alot of people asked, and here is a few good FREE reads. Some will remain free for awhile, others will expire soon. Have fun!

Sense and Sensibility- Jane Austen
*was increadably converted from the origonal, nothing was out of place or left out.

Treasure Island- Robert Louis Stevenson
*converted from the origonal, there were some text issues other readers complaing about, I haven't read the whole thing yet, but so far so good.

Hide in Plain Sight- Marta Perry
* downloaded it, haven't read it yet, but the sample was enough for me to want to read the rest. Was suggested by my fav site: freebees4moms.com

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes- Sir Authur Conan Doyle
*converted from the origonal, most readers thought the conversion was good, nothing really left out, very minor text issues, I didn't read it (well, highschool doesnt count), but once I get threw my list of bagillion books I do want to read, this will be next.

War and Peace- Leo Tolstoy
*converted from the origonal, I didn't see any comments about the conversion, so I am assuming there was not any text issues . Is on my waiting list.

Homespun Bride- Jillian Hart
*I got this off my suggestion list, I haven't read it yet, but the sample got me interested. I think this will expire soon, though.

Roery's Secret (Country Road Chornicles #1)- Leisha Kelly
*This is going to expire soon, I read this one, as a filler read, but I do not think the other books in this series is free, will keep my eye out for when they do become available.

message 2: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Another option is to join netGalley.

http://www.netgalley.com/

They give free copies of newly released or about to be released ebooks for FREE and you just need to give them a written review of the book in exchange. After you sign up, you can pick the books that you want to review. You have to wait for the publisher to approve it and then the ebook is available for you to view it.

I have received 12 ebooks that I need to review for FREE! Check it out!

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments that is really neat, i did check it out and have requested a few books already. no, do you read them threw your kidle and if so, how do you load it?

message 4: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) You can have it sent to your kindle. But Amazon charges you a fee $0.15 per MB rounded up for each document. Or you can go to Manage your Kindle in Amazon and change Your Personal Document Charge Limit to $0.00. When the document is sent to your kindle, you will get an email stating that it is available to download via a computer. If you don't mind paying under $1 per book then don't change anything and it will download directly to your kindle.

It's really easy!

message 5: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) Another great source for free books is this blog:

http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/

Don't pay the subscription fee for this blog, just bookmark it on the internet on your kindle. That way you can check it whenever for free. You can also subscribe via email too!

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrewskelton) | 5 comments I'm presuming folks know of this one...

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

message 7: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Baen Books, one of the major Science Fiction publishers, maintains a free library ... there are many books available there.

http://baen.com/library/

message 8: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 2 comments Search Amazon Kindle section for -public and then sort by price. It weeds out all the public domain books and only shows publisher promos.

message 9: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 30 comments Check out the Pixel of Ink. You can get them to send you email updates. They list free and bargain Kindle books. I've found it very useful.

message 10: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 35 comments Most of the books in the public domain are free as ebook downloads from Amazon. I've downloaded a ton. Also, a friend just told me The Apothecary's Daughter is free...not sure what it's about, but I'm passing along the information.

message 11: by Shamzgirl (last edited Jan 26, 2011 03:59PM) (new)

Shamzgirl | 1 comments Diane U wrote: "Another option is to join netGalley.

They give free copies of newly released or about to be released ebooks for FREE and you just need to give them a written review ..."

Diane U.--I'm not seeing Kindle as a device that's compatible with NetGalley. I saw that you said you can have it sent to your Kindle...how do I do that? Contact the publishing companies directly? Thanks for the help...I'm new to Kindle!

message 12: by Tish (new)

Tish (paradiseisalibrary) | 30 comments Also if you go to Archive.org you can get a lot of old out of print texts and stuff like that. I downloaded some old kid's books and cookbooks. You have to do a USB transfer but it's still cool.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments Shamzgirl wrote: "Diane U wrote: "Another option is to join netGalley.

They give free copies of newly released or about to be released ebooks for FREE and you just need to give them a wri..."

You can have it sent by adding the address they give you on the site to your approved Kindle emails. Make sure you have a limit set on your account for document charges. It won't be free if it is a big book but you can download it from the email and transfer with the usb cord. I don't know how that works out though. I haven't tried it yet. I have netgalley and have read 1 graphic novel on it and browsed though a cookbook using Adobe digital editions which is free to download.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen | 60 comments Net galley stopped the send to Kindle feature. I don't remember the reason they gave. It must be on thier site somewhere. Karen

message 15: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I think the publishers didn't want people having forever and open access to their books. Not having that makes net galley very much less attractive. If I wanted to read on my PC, I wouldn't have a Kindle.