The Sword and Laser discussion

What books make you LOL

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2859 comments Have we talked about this before? I may be a curmudgeon but I have a hard time finding books genuinely funny. I think it is easier to write a funny joke, a funny song, or a funny poem than to write an entire novel that is considered funny.

A few that have made me smile, maybe even chuckle:
The Broom of the System
Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen
A Confederacy of Dunces

But I want laughter! I want guffaws!

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ashby | 119 comments I am not a huge graphic novel fan but the Chew series always keeps me laughing . . . and maybe a little queasy.

message 3: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Simon R. Green does a pretty good job of mixing comedy, sword and sorcery fantasy, action, and horror in Blue Moon Rising.

BUT -

For Laugh Out Loud funny check out the Disc World series by Terry Pratchett

message 4: by aldenoneil (last edited Aug 30, 2010 09:59AM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I watched Legally Blonde in a movie theater and found it hilarious, laughing out loud partly because everyone else in the theater was doing so. I laugh occasionally when I'm watching a movie with someone else. I never laugh when I'm watching something alone.

Reading is lonely.

message 5: by Halbot42 (last edited Aug 30, 2010 11:29AM) (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments Thats interesting the social aspect of humor. I have to admit the presence of others has absolutely no impact whether i laugh at something, which will occassionaly have me laughing my ass off in the wrong company. For me reading isnt lonely, its a very intimate connection between the audience and writer.
Anyway back to the point: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, funny, classic sci fi, lots of funny footnotes, the destruction of the earth and the fact that the mice are really running the experiments on the scientists. Dave Barryand carl hiassen arent really on f/scifi at all but i laugh my ass of at all their stuff. Terry Prachett has already been mentioned but i have to follow up, basically does the Douglas Adams treatment but for fantasy. Feet of Clay was my first and still stands among the funniest. Pratchett is making me sad now that he has alzheimers tho, the most recent book has suffered a steep decline in the funny but i love that he still has something to say. Pretty much everything Frost said in Abercrombies first law series had me rolling. Steven Brust phoenix guard series has some very subtle humor buried in the archaic language

message 6: by Rick (new)

Rick Pasley (hikr3) | 71 comments Humor is very subjective and reliant upon one's perspective, so take these with a grain of salt. I love Christopher Moore, John Zakour & Lawrence Ganem, and A. Lee Martinez. They always make me chuckle.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbetts) I have to agree with Douglas Adams. Those books always made me smile.

message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Rick wrote: "Humor is very subjective and reliant upon one's perspective..."

I absolutely agree. I really dislike some books that others swear are hysterically funny. I also laugh at books that others don't get. Here's my list of the three funniest books I've read:

The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, Version 2.0 by Christopher Moore

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

message 9: by Lotone67 (new)

Lotone67 | 6 comments Robert Asprin's Myth series always did it for me. Good easy poolside reading after a long week at work....and the bikini girls wonder what the nerd is laughing at.

message 10: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy -- after realizing that I'd just spent a week reading a 500 page shaggy-dog joke, I spent the rest of the day breaking out in laughter at inappropriate moments.

message 11: by Danforth (new)

Danforth Morrigan (nomad_scry) | 35 comments A Bear Called Paddington, Life with Jeeves, and The Mouse that Roared: A Novel all had me shoving my fist into my mouth to stifle my laughter. I haven't re-read them since I was a teen, so perhaps they wouldn't be as amusing now, but they sure were funny then.

message 12: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments I'm a big fan of John Grisham and have found him to have a wry sense of humor. He's not renowned for the humor in his books, but subjectively I get cracked up often. Specifically, Going Postal by Terry Pratchett was pretty darn funny.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie Davis (juliedhc) Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series ... of course, I'm a sucker for a smart-mouthed P.I.

message 14: by Al (new)

Al | 159 comments Carl Hiaasen (the early the better) and P G Wodehouse (any) do it for me.

message 16: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments I don't laugh too often when reading, not out loud anyway. One book that made me audibly laugh on multiple occasions though, was Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way. Some absolutely hilarious pictures in that one. Can't say much about the rest of the book, however, much as I hate to say anything negative about Bruce Campbell.