SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > What is your book budget?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2446 comments Mod
I normally try to set aside R100 each month as contribution to my 'book purchase fund'. Unfortunately since I discovered Bookdepository my budget is far into the red - about six months into the future!

Do you budget for book purchases or how do you handle it? If I didn't use a book budget I'd be complete broke surrounded by mountains of books.

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Budget?

As long as I keep some money aside for two minute noodles and petrol, I will buy books :)
But if I have spent a lot of money on books for the month, or I'm feeling guilty about how many unread books I own, I will at least try and avoid bookshops.

message 3: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments I used to have a budget... Until I realized its pointless in trying to keep to it. If I think I'm going to be low on money that month I wait until the day before pay day to go book shopping.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I also have a kind of 'take it as it comes' approach.

Although, I just remembered that I do try and spend less when there's an EB sale coming up, so I will have more money for books.

message 5: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Yes of course you cant do any shopping before a book sale. Its simply wrong! :P

I feel happy, used to think I'm the only one that did that. Some of my friends thought I was slightly loony because i preferred buying books rather than shoes.

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
I have 5 pairs of shoes... lol

I try not to spend over R200 a month.

On a side note, my books from Take 2 arrived today!! Yay

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I am one of those people who make a budget every month and then never sticks to it...

When I come accross a good book I'll buy it! Like the book shaped like the record, I just couldnt leave it there at the bookstore! I felt that it had to come with me.
Also when I get to store's that sell 3 books for R100, well then I MAKE myself get 3 great books, I cant pass an offer like that! Thats when I usually come up with me random reads... and most are pretty good. I'm a hypocrite, I do judge books by their covers, and if the cover is good (and the storyline of course) I'll end up getting it

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Naz wrote: "I feel happy, used to think I'm the only one that did that. Some of my friends thought I was slightly loony because i preferred buying books rather than shoes"

Books always trump shoes!