ANZ Authors discussion

G'day Mates!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Naomi (new)

Naomi Kramer (nomesque) | 34 comments Mod
Welcome! Please come in and introduce yourself. Are you a writer? A reader? Both? What do you write or read?

I'm Naomi. I'm 34, I live in Ipswich (QLD), and I write. Technical manuals by day, fiction by night and on the train. I have purple hair (this week) and I love Katharine Kerr's Deverry series with a passion. I also love Piers Anthony's Xanth books and Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. In the few small hours not taken up with working, writing, parenting, reading and sleeping, I like to play Munchkin and Killer Bunnies.

I've written and published two actual books so far. The first, DEAD(ish), is an adult horror-comedy that could take place anywhere. The second, Maisy May, is YA fiction set in Bathurst NSW.

My books are available in ebook format only at the moment. Not because I detest paper books, but because they're too short to make a decent book. So far, anyhow. Once all 3 Maisy May books are out, I'll add the three together in a paperback.

Did I mention that I'm usually terrible at writing introductions? :-D

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 7 comments Hi Naomi

Thanks for the invite.

I'm Vicki and I'm older than Naomi... ;P Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'll be back to do a proper introduction when I'm not running around like a blue-arsed fly (Aussie enough?).

Cheers
Vicki

message 3: by Vicki (last edited Aug 30, 2010 01:13AM) (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 7 comments P.S. Is there going to be a bookshelf for members' books.

message 4: by Naomi (new)

Vicki wrote: "P.S. Is there goingt to be a bookshelf for members' books."

Yes!

(phew, that was an easy one!)

message 5: by Shayne (new)

Shayne | 8 comments Hi, ladies, and thanks for the invite, Vicki!

I'm older than Naomi, too. :) I live in New Zealand, and write historical fiction set here. Four self-pubbed so far, and a WIP very slowly taking shape.

message 6: by Gary (new)

Gary Corby (garycorby) | 3 comments Hi, Gary here. My first is out in the US on October 12 from St Martins Minotaur, an historical mystery set in Classical Greece called The Pericles Commission. In Australia & New Zealand it'll be out January from Penguin.

I know that makes me look like a US author, but I'm actually a 5th generation Aussie living in Sydney.

Naomi, I have both Munchkin & Killer Bunnies too. I'm afraid my hair is a pedestrian dark brown.

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Robert (prjordan) | 2 comments Hi All – Thanks for the invite Vicki.

And yes, I too am older than Naomi. I am a South Islander and reside in the small peaceful village of Geraldine. I am the director of a small publishing firm that only publishes my works (so far).

My only work out in the commercial world so far is IVRRAC, a novel set in the near future about a serial killer who is put through a new rehabilitation technique run by a small company known as IVRRAC. It has been described as an “unusual and enjoyable suspense novel” by an Australian Kindle reader.

I have many works in the wings ready to be improved and re-worked to bring them up to what is expected by today’s readers. My next planned published work is my young teenager adventure series called “The Trentsworth Terrors”. The first of which is sub-titled “The Ghost of Trent’s Castle”.

Cheers

Peter

message 8: by Gillian (new)

Gillian (africanaussie) | 1 comments Hi all, I am probably older than all of you! For over twenty years I sailed with my ex and our two daughters around the world and was lucky enough to sell quite a few articles to sailing magazines. I completed a book about those travels and over many years submitted it in various edited forms to many publishers, but no takers. I still consider myself a writer. Right now I enjoy writing my blog, at least there I dont have to sell myself!

message 9: by Naomi (new)

What is this, a 'Who's Older' competition??? :-D OK, OK, y'all win. I'm a whippersnapper.

Gillian, have you thought about putting your travel book up on Smashwords/Kindle store in ebook form?

message 10: by Tama (last edited Sep 01, 2010 01:18AM) (new)

Tama Wise | 1 comments Heh I'll buck the trend by starting off saying that I'm a year older than Naomi, which I guess makes me younger than most already?

I've been writing for a good part of my life. Published in both e-print and print, both here and in the States. Probably my biggest local claim to fame is being included in Huia Short Stories 2007. Everything I've published so far is short story, but I've written countless novels, just ain't submitted more than one.

I'm a mess of genres really. I've published in romance, magic realist/urban, steampunk and fantasy. I love speculative fiction, and more recently cyberpunk, but given I'm both gay and Maori, both tend to feature strongly in whatever genre I'm convinced at the time I should commit to.

Otherwise, from Auckland, NZ.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna | 1 comments Hi all, I'm Anna and have my memoir being released by St Martin's Press (an imprint of Macmillan) on Oct 12 2010. Piano Lessons by Anna Goldsworthy

The Australian edition Piano Lessons by Anna Goldsworthy won me the title of Newcomer of the Year at the 2010 Australian Book Industry Awards

Feel free to write or add me

message 12: by Gary (new)

Gary Corby (garycorby) | 3 comments Hey Anna, we're both St Martin's authors.

message 13: by J.C. (new)

J.C. Hart Hey everyone :-) I'm a New Zealand writer of speculative fiction (mostly short stories at the moment, will get back into longer works when I have more time). I have had just 2 stories published so far, both this year, but hoping to add more to the list in the near future.
You're all making me feel like a baby of the group! lol I turn 30 in December.

message 14: by Soma (new)

Soma Helmi (somahelmi) | 8 comments Hey all! I'm mixed Indonesian/Polish, with an Australian passport, living in Bali! hehe, wow that was convoluted. I went to school and uni in Oz. Just joined goodreads, can't believe I didn't know about it before!

Also am about to publish my first novel as an ebook - Sammi Ever After. It should be live sometime this weekend on smashwords then soon after on Amazon.

The blurb: Girl meets boy. They fall in love. Girl moves across the world to be with boy. Boy dumps her at the airport…via email.

Hope to get to know you guys so you can let me know what you think of it! :)

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Robert (prjordan) | 2 comments Cassie wrote: "Hey everyone :-) I'm a New Zealand writer of speculative fiction ..."

Ah a Taranaki girl. My wife was born in New Plymouth, she still has relatives in Taranaki. Great city, very forward thinking council. Love sitting at the cafe in the museum watching the sea and the windy wandy thingy.

Cheers

Peter

message 16: by Vicki (last edited Sep 03, 2010 10:27PM) (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 7 comments Naomi wrote: "What is this, a 'Who's Older' competition???"

Yep! ;)

message 17: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 7 comments Anna wrote: "The Australian edition won me the title of Newcomer of the Year at the 2010 Australian Book Industry Awards"

That's fantastic, Anna. CONGRATULATIONS! I love to hear Australian writing success stories.