Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

General Chatting > Strange Pet Peeves

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bekah, Mod (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 113 comments Mod
I have a strange pet peeve, well I have many, but this one is book related. I do not like Nora Roberts. Primarily because her books just do not grab me, but when I think of her, she makes me angry because she writes SOOOO many books soo fast. It irritates me. Like thats a bad thing, right? An author writing too much? Especially if you like her. (rolling my eyes @ myself) But irrationally Nora Roberts irritates me because she writes too many books, I would rather have quality over quantity. Just like bell peppers which I loathe, I try one of her books out every once in awhile just to be sure I'm not missing anything. There is one book of hers from long ago that I like: Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts Otherwise, when I pass her books in the store I roll my eyes. Its so stupid! I know lots of people LOVE her, but I just can't get it.

My best friend has a strange pet peeve - she doesn't like people who drink Diet Coke - -- strange, I know..and I don't really know why but there you have it.

What are your strange and/or irrational pet peeves???

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments I don't like Nora Roberts either. Period. I used to like her, when she wrote romance. Now, she's too highly overrated for writing nothing. Don't understand the diet Coke thing.

Ok, my strange pet-peeve, if you can call it one, is that even though I don't make my bed in the mornings, I have to straighten the wrinkles out of the fitted sheet before going back to bed.

message 3: by Bekah, Mod (new)

:-) well that is understandable....it is nice to get into a nicely fixed bed at night!

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
*I don't like to touch raw meat. When I cook, I try to manage it where I don't have to actually touch the meat.

*I can't stand snobby people. They drive me crazy. I hate snobbery of any kind.

Bekah, it's annoying how Nora Roberts takes up a whole bookcase of her own at the store. I wish they would stock less of her books and more of other authors.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Williams | 128 comments Okay, I got a weird one. I don't like my vegatables touching my mash potatoes. Ewwwww! i will not eat them when they do, I just puch them aside.

Oh and the Nora Roberts thing. I haven't read her stuff in YEARS. So I have no idea what she has out now, but she does take up a lot of shelves!

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments Ain't that the truth!!

Bekah, it's annoying how Nora Roberts takes up a whole bookcase of her own at the store. I wish they would stock less of her books and more of other authors.

message 7: by Bekah, Mod (new)

I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one who has an aversion to Nora Roberts. I mean not only does she write a million books under her own name, but she's got a crapload under JD Robb! She must NEVER sleep!

message 8: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6617 comments Mod
Nora might have a ghost writer or writers. I'm a writer and I don't believe that a writer can spit out 5 (I'm only using a number) books at a time.

message 9: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
You're definitely not the only one, Bekah. I tried many a times to get into her work but nothing ever grabs me to move on from the first chapter. I am going to try her older Night series because I hear her category stuff is better. What's weird is I tend to really enjoy her movies a lot. Carolina Moon, Midnight Bayou and Montana Sky are my absolute favorites. I think the screenwriters and director cut down on the extraneous stuff in her work that doesn't matter to the overall story and gets down to character development and little things that add to the story that make the movies much more enjoyable.

As for pet peeves, it grates when people spell ridiculous "rediculous". I understand it sounds like it when you're emphasizing but it just kinda grates to see on boards lol.

message 10: by PT (last edited Aug 30, 2010 01:49PM) (new)

PT (spinsterpt) | 319 comments If, it's any consolation, a LOT of Nora Roberts books are re-releases. Though I can think of many other authors whose works I would prefer to see re-released.
Anywho, I know that she got a lot of criticism a few years back from readers because her books were being reprinted with new titles. I think she started putting a little disclaimer on the front saying, "First time in print" for the new ones :)
My strange pet peeve is that I don't like waiting in line. There have been numerous times when I have put back the stuff I was going to buy at a store because I thought the lines were too long.
Which also reminds me, I get very angry at people who write checks. Mainly, because they never bother to get their check books out, much less fill out a check until after they have been told the total for their bill. Aargh!

message 11: by new_user (new)

new_user Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "*I don't like to touch raw meat. When I cook, I try to manage it where I don't have to actually touch the meat..."

I don't like to touch it either! I buy the gloves restaurant workers wear. But it's not really my peeve; it's just my little quibble. My real big peeves...

*Repetition. I don't like repeating myself, and I don't like when others do either.

*Obvious questions/statements.

*Nagging. Reminders once in a while are helpful, but I work well -actually, usually better- independently. I don't need someone standing over my shoulder.

*Talking while I'm working/sleeping.

message 12: by Bekah, Mod (new)

those are good ones NU! I was just thinking that today. My mom has horrible hearing, actually I think she does hear, but she is always saying, "huh" I detest repeating myself. Its annoying! I'd rather just not say it again. Missed it the first time? Oh well!

My mother also thinks that when we put a movie in, it's time to start up that conversation she wanted to have. Every stinkin time!

grr...

:-)

message 13: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Lol you just reminded me of another one, Bekah. Talking at the movies. Oh man. Can't stand that. Movie watching is like a dream and I like to lose myself in it, especially if it's good. My mom is a big movie talker so I brace myself when we see movies together because she's always asking questions and making comments lol.

message 14: by Bekah, Mod (new)

Yeah, I don't understand people who's minds wander during movies. My mom though....she just can't sit still....always doing something until she falls into bed at night.

message 15: by Traci (new)

Traci | 6 comments I don't like moist baked goods. No ice cream touching my cake and no gravy on my bread ever! I too don't understand the Diet coke thing.

Although I have no opinion on Nora Roberts, I will have say she doesn't leave her readers "hanging" when it comes to series like others do. I have been waiting two years for one author to continue her book series. Just don't say you are doing a series..that would be better!

message 16: by new_user (new)

new_user Bekah wrote: "those are good ones NU! I was just thinking that today. My mom has horrible hearing, actually I think she does hear, but she is always saying, "huh" I detest repeating myself. Its annoying! I'd ra..."

LOL! I know! My mom's the same way. She always tries to talk over the movie. >.<

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

*Traffic! After commuting to every job I've had after school for the past eleven years, I have no patience for sitting in traffic.

*I agree with you about having to repeat yourself. I hate that. Also micromanagement. I hate when people try to micromanage me. I'm like, "Go away. I got this. I'll call if I need help." :)

*When the tv is so low you can barely hear it. I'd rather it be turned off or muted. But, something about the barely audible level that grates on my nerves.

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

*Rude people are another huge pet peeve of mine. I despise rudeness in every form. There is generally no reason for it. If you want to get on my bad side, be a rude person.

message 19: by new_user (new)

new_user Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "*Traffic! After commuting to every job I've had after school for the past eleven years, I have no patience for sitting in traffic.

*I agree with you about having to repeat yourself. I hate th..."

Oh, micromanagement! I completely agree! So frustrating. Either I'm competent to handle a job or I'm not.

message 20: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "*Rude people are another huge pet peeve of mine. I despise rudeness in every form. There is generally no reason for it. If you want to get on my bad side, be a rude person."

Hear hear!

message 21: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1275 comments Bekah wrote: "I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one who has an aversion to Nora Roberts. I mean not only does she write a million books under her own name, but she's got a crapload under JD Robb! Sh..."

You are not the only one. I read one book by her and could not understand the popularity.

message 22: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1275 comments My peeve- parents who shout at their little kids. I so want to walk up to said "parents" and go upside their heads.

The idiots (i don't think amazon would allow me to call them what I really want to call them) who purchase million $$ apartments in NYC

message 23: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1275 comments reality shows! every single one of them except for the amazing race.

where do they get these people from?

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, I thought of another one! People who eat with their mouths open! Argh. This is probably one of my biggest peeves. It aggravates me so much I start twitching, LOL.

message 25: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1275 comments people who cough or sneeze and do not put their hands over their mouth etc.

message 26: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1275 comments those anchors on tv who tell you to return because they are about to divulge some earth shaking news that you absolutely must hear...

if i only had the power to reach thru the tv...

message 27: by Bekah, Mod (new)

it feels so good to vent these!!!

message 28: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL. It does.

message 29: by Bekah, Mod (new)

You know who Nora Roberts is?? It just occurred to me. She is the current Danielle Steele. At least for me.. Didn't she have a million books as well, movies and I couldn't stand most of her books either!

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

She is becoming like Danielle Steele in her prolific presence everywhere, isn't she? :)

message 31: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 14, 2010 05:51PM) (new)

Stephanie E | 1 comments I will not read any romances (and several other genres) by male authors...I have no idea why. There are several that sound interesting, but I cannot bring myself to read them. I think I have this feeling that the love scenes will be "weird" if written by a male.

But I will read M/M books written by males...go figure...

As for Nora Roberts, I tried reading her J.D. Robb "In Death" series, but as I was half way though one, 3 more had been published! Complete turn-off! Never touched another one.

message 32: by new_user (last edited Sep 14, 2010 06:58PM) (new)

new_user LOL, Stephanie. That's the reason male authors frequently wrote under female pseudonyms, so apparently this is common.