Warhammer 40,000 Fiction discussion

Horus Heresy--Descent of Angels

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian What is up with this book? It doesn't even seem like they are Space Marines yet. It reminds me of Space Wolf w/o all of the action. I have not gotten very far yet, but so far I am seeing it as my least favorite of the HH books at this point. Does it get better?

message 2: by John (new)

John (angryjohnny) | 57 comments Unfortunately not. It stays that way through out the whole book. It was very tedious for me to read & finish. It's also the only HH novel that I have rated below a 3 so far.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian Do I need to read it in order to understand Legion?

message 4: by John (last edited Aug 30, 2010 04:30PM) (new)

John (angryjohnny) | 57 comments Brian wrote: "Do I need to read it in order to understand Legion?"

Not at all. Legion is completely about the Alpha Legion & their fall into Heresy. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Dark Angels. Honestly, Legion could be read with out reading any of the other books in the series. Although there are some references to events/places from the 1st three books, but they're minor.

BTW - Legion was fantastic. I finished it last night & it got 5 stars from me. I haven't enjoyed reading a HH Novel since this much since the 1st three.

message 5: by Colin (new)

Colin | 23 comments Honestly, Legion could be read with out reading any of the other books in the series.

In fact, Legion is the only HH book I have read so far; all I knew about the heresy was what I had picked up from other WH40K books.

And I still enjoyed it thoroughly. In fact, I think that made it better, since I didn't know until the end of the book which way the Alpha Legion would turn.

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Alright, I am sold. I think I'll jump over to Legion and then come back to Descent of Angels.

What makes me sad is I like what I have read in White Dwarf about the Dark Angels, but this is just not fun.

message 7: by John (new)

John (angryjohnny) | 57 comments I really like the Dark Angels too and this book doesn't do them justice. Have you read Angels of Darkness yet by Gav Thorpe?

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian No, I have it on my wishlist. I almost bought in July, but I was missing the Heresy so I chose not to get it at that time.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian Started Legion last night. Read only about 15 or so pages, but I am already into it. More action in the first chapter than the first 60 pages of Descent of Angels. Good call guys.

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Sep 01, 2010 10:01PM) (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments ok so are we doing a group read right now? I'm so lost, i just started college classes so idk whats going on...and it's funny I just looked at the back og Descent of Angels and thought it didn't sound as good as Legion:P
And other then the first 4 heresy books it seems like you can jump around more after that