Aussie Readers discussion

Just for Fun! > What's Your Favourite Aussie Movie or Television Show? What are you watching now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 956 (956 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

message 1: by Mandapanda (last edited Aug 29, 2010 03:33PM) (new)

Mandapanda What's your favourite Ausssie movie? Without a doubt mine is Muriel's Wedding. It was released in 1994 and written by P.J. Hogan.
Synopsis:
Muriel finds life in Porpoise Spit, Australia dull and spends her days alone in her room listening to Abba music and dreaming of her wedding day. Slight problem, Muriel has never had a date. Then she steals some money to go on a tropical vacation, meets a wacky friend, changes her name to Mariel, and turns her world upside down.

On the surface this film seems like (and is) a very enjoyable comedy set to a toe-tapping ABBA soundtrack. But underneath is the biting reality of a dysfunctional family and a young woman struggling through issues of low self-esteem.
Scenes that stood out for me:
How could you forget when Muriel walked past her mother at her wedding without seeing her. (Broke my heart!)
The fabulous lip-synching performance to Waterloo.
The hilarious scene where the beanbag gets unzipped instead of Muriel's jeans!
Sophie Lee's great performance as Muriel's vain and vicious friend.

As far as I'm concerned Muriel's NOT terrible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVsnJJ...

message 2: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments I love "The Castle" ... have watched this so many times and it still makes me laugh.

message 3: by Mandapanda (last edited Aug 29, 2010 07:21PM) (new)

Mandapanda Yep! Straight to the pool room that one! We should make this compulsory viewing every Australia Day.;)

Sometimes I think if a non-Australian person was watching this film they might think we were mocking the Kerrigans but in fact it's a very affectionate, sympathetic and empathic look at a traditional Aussie family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM-GVR...

message 4: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments You are right Mandy ... I envy the Kerrigans and recognise them and their traits in people around me, if not in myself at times.

I have had quite a few favourites over the years ... when I was young I loved -
'Smiley Gets a Gun', 'Storm Boy' and my kids adore 'Happy Feet,

whereas when I was a bit older
'Mad Max 2' and 'Razorback' had me on the edge of my seat

'Crocodile Dundee' always brings a laugh

'Strictly Ballroom','The Big Steal','Paperback Hero' and 'Malcolm' still has me cheering afterwards

'Rabbit Proof Fence' and 'Japanese Story' are beautiful and poignant and

'The Black Balloon' is brilliant which I appreciate from my experiences with my autistic son and family.

and more ... we have some fabulous varied movies!

message 5: by Jem (new)

Jem  (toomanybooksforfaviourates) | 14 comments Mine would be Crocodile Dundee and the Rabbit Proof Fence (that movie just makes me think about how cruel humans can be).

message 6: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 1732 comments Dee-Ann wrote: "I love "The Castle" ... have watched this so many times and it still makes me laugh."

Me, too. :D

message 7: by hollyishere (new)

hollyishere The Castle. It makes me smile every-time i think of it.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) Tell 'im 'es dreamin'....
How about the serenity?.....classic!

Also loved Rabbit Proof Fence.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

In no particular order, and as I am incapable of choosing a favourite.

Strickly Ballroom
The Castle
Mad Max

They're all 'going straight to the pool room'. :)

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) Dad I dug a hole.

message 11: by Colleen (new)

Colleen O'grady | 36 comments I'll go for rabbit Proof Fence and also that very old, unobtaihnable one called Jedda, and who can forget Chips Rafferty in the Smiley movies and of course, They're a Weird Mob has to be a must

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh! yes! Colleen, hard to choose a single fav. but I am very partial to 'the Castle' & 'Australia'.

message 13: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Michael wrote: "Dad I dug a hole."

How many great one-liners has that movie put into our language!!

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Klehr (goodreadscomkevink) | 78 comments Some of my favourites include Aussie Rules, The Cedar Boys, Dad and Dave Come To Town, Dad Rudd MP and It Isn't Done.

message 15: by Jan (last edited Sep 11, 2010 06:45PM) (new)

Jan (auntyjan) Yesterday I saw Tomorrow When the War Began. I hadn't read the John Marsden series, so thought the movie might be a good introduction. I enjoyed it very much...some spectacular Blue Mountains scenery...
I thought the film might be all doom and gloom but there are a lot of comic moments. I would recommend it and look forward to hearing how others reacted.

message 16: by Pam (new)

Pam | 3 comments Animal Kingdom FANTASTIC.....

message 17: by neko (last edited Sep 12, 2010 05:43AM) (new)

neko cam (neko_cam) It doesn't get any more Australian (and, coincidentally, awesome) than 'The Proposition'. Written by Nick Cave and starring Guy Pearce, it's a graphic colonial story (1880s) with some truly memorable characters (I'm looking at you, Jellon Lamb - played by John Hurt).
Photobucket

message 18: by Murray (new)

Murray Gunn (murraygunn) | 211 comments I hated Strictly Ballroom and Muriel's Wedding put me off Australian movies entirely, but tonight I got to see Babakiueria and my faith is restored. It's an anthropological look at the Aboriginal Occupation of the country the white natives call 'Babakiueria'. A highlight was the plan to replace the horrible freeway north of the bridge with a beautiful parkland to commemorate 200 years of settlement.

message 19: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda neko wrote: "It doesn't get any more Australian (and, coincidentally, awesome) than 'The Proposition'. Written by Nick Cave and starring Guy Pearce, it's a graphic colonial story (1880s) with some truly memorab..."

Did you know that Nick Cave has written a couple of books as well. He's multi-talented!
And the Ass Saw the Angel by Nick Cave The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave Bad Seed The Biography of Nick Cave by Ian Johnston King Ink by Nick Cave

message 20: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Murray wrote: "I hated Strictly Ballroom and Muriel's Wedding put me off Australian movies entirely, but tonight I got to see Babakiueria and my faith is restored. It's an anthropological look at the Aboriginal ..."

Oh that reminds me of the movie Ten Canoes by Rolph de Heer. I actually worked in the Ramingining Aboriginal community in Arnhem Land when I was a young nurse. It was a beautiful isolated place.

message 21: by neko (new)

neko cam (neko_cam) Mandy wrote: "Did you know that Nick Cave has written a couple of books as well. He's multi-talented!"

I was aware, yes, though I've never read any of them. I hear good things.

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary (fruity) | 3 comments My favourite Australia Movie is Lucky Miles. I don't know anyone else who has seen it, except the people who went to the cinema with me. Its about a group of refugee "boat people" who wash up on the shore of Western Australia, and try to find their way to civilisation while being pursued by authorities. Most of it is in subtitles of various languages, but there are so many laugh out loud moments.

message 23: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 14, 2010 05:19PM) (new)

Mandapanda Mary wrote: "My favourite Australia Movie is Lucky Miles. I don't know anyone else who has seen it, except the people who went to the cinema with me. Its about a group of refugee "boat people" who wash up on t..."

I vaguely remeber this movie (Lucky Miles) but I never saw it. I found this review on At The Movies with Margaret and David. Now that you've reminded me I'm going to get it out on video DVD (sorry, showing my age there a bit!! haha).

message 24: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd Mary wrote: "My favourite Australia Movie is Lucky Miles. I don't know anyone else who has seen it, except the people who went to the cinema with me. Its about a group of refugee "boat people" who wash up on t..."

Yes, I liked Lucky Miles too, Mary. It was hilarious. Talk about a chapter of accidents. Laurel

message 25: by Kora (new)

Kora (koraj) | 61 comments Beneath Clouds.

I've just realized after reading everyone else's entries that I haven't watched that many Australian movies!

message 26: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda K wrote: "Beneath Clouds.

I've just realized after reading everyone else's entries that I haven't watched that many Australian movies!"

Wow I'd never even heard of that one K! Looks great though.
http://aso.gov.au/titles/features/ben...

message 27: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Just saw these books as I was going through our bookshelves. Might be interesting for those who follow the Aussie film industry:

The Oxford Companion to Australian Film by Ina Bertrand Australian Film, 1900-1977 by Andrew Pike Australian Film (Pocket Essential series) by Saskia Vanderbent

message 28: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 28, 2010 04:12AM) (new)

Mandapanda Does anyone remember that mini-series Vietnam. One of Nicole Kidman's first big roles (and still her best IMHO!). It came out in 1987 and was the story of a brother who was conscripted into the war and his younger sister who grew to be an anti-war activist.
'Vietnam' was a controversial and beautifully made story of Australia's involvement in what was perceived as an American war. Very poignant and powerful. I really loved it. Plus the 60's soundtrack was great.:)

vietnam

message 29: by Lindy (new)

Lindy Dale (lindydale) Dee-Ann wrote: "I love "The Castle" ... have watched this so many times and it still makes me laugh."

The Castle is one of my all time favourite movies but I still cant go past Strictly Ballroom. In fact, anything Baz does is fine by me :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Is it just me or has Television Shows been recently added to the thread title?

Here are a few old fav's and some recent viewing.

Sea Change
Frontline
Spicks & Specks
The Gruen Transfer
The Chaser (though this can be hit and miss, sometimes I just have to walk away.)

message 31: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Is it just me or has Television Shows been recently added to the thread title?

Here are a few old fav's and some recent viewing.

Sea Change
Frontline
Spicks & Specks
The Gruen Transfer
T..."

I really like The Gruen Transfer too and I thought The Gruen Nation covering the recent election was brilliant.

Some of the Aussie televison shows I loved when I was young include:

Number 96 ( I had nightmares when the bomb went off)
Skippy
and the television series 'Against the Wind' could not be missed.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha ha, I remember being sent to bed when Number 96 came on. My parents thought it was too risqué.

message 33: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Ha ha, I remember being sent to bed when Number 96 came on. My parents thought it was too risqué."

It was a bit, my parents must have been fairly liberal or ignorant ... however all my friends at school were watching it, and we were in primary school at the time.

message 34: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Dee-Ann wrote: "and the television series 'Against the Wind' could not be missed..."

Dee-Ann, I loved Against the Wind. I was totally in love with Jon English!;D Did you see the link I posted to the video of 'Six Ribbons' the song he did from the soundtrack. It has lots of scenes from the series. It's in the 'If you like...' thread.:)

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 114 comments Like Dee-ann, I, too, love, The Castle. Would have to be one of our best movies ever. It's so simple, yet its message is so poignant.

Among others, I quite like QI on ABC. Always learn something and get a laugh.

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Klehr (goodreadscomkevink) | 78 comments Guys, start finding your favourites from here - http://www.memorabletv.com/australia/...

For some reason I was remembering that wonderful presentation of The Prophecies of Nostradamus hosted by John Waters for the 7 Network that made me stumble on this site.

I've loved GP, Eastwest 101, The Circuit (1st series. 2nd seemed underdeveloped), Wildside, All Saints (only discovered how good it was in it's final three years) and the amazing mini-series The Damnation of Harvey McHugh.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Great link Kevin, browsing though should bring back lots of memories. :)

message 38: by Lindy (new)

Lindy Dale (lindydale) Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Ha ha, I remember being sent to bed when Number 96 came on. My parents thought it was too risqué."

I was about nine I think and obviously not allowed to watch it but my brother and I used to tell my nan that dad said it was ok (she only ever watched ABC) when we went to stay with her so she let us watch. naughty kids

message 39: by Lindy (new)

Lindy Dale (lindydale) For anyone with FOXTEL - check out SPIRITED on the W channel. It stars Claudia Karvan from Secret Life of Us. Its very funny

message 40: by Tango (new)

Tango | 290 comments Many of my favourite films have already been mentioned here. I went and saw Tomorrow When the War began a few days ago. having read the book several times I was prepared to be harsh but I have to say that I loved it. Great Australian scenery and excellent Australian soundtrack. My two sons (15 and 12) loved it too. My 12 year old said it was the best movies he's seen in ages and, best of all, he can't wait to read the book!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Tango wrote: "My 12 year old said it was the best movies he's seen in ages and, best of all, he can't wait to read the book!"

That is a great rap Tango, I haven't read the book or seen the film. I'm always on the look out for books for my son to read.

message 42: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments My 15 year old son went and saw the movie Tomorrow, raved about it, and has just finished the book and is keen to read more in the series.

message 43: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Mandy wrote: "Dee-Ann wrote: "and the television series 'Against the Wind' could not be missed..."

Dee-Ann, I loved Against the Wind. I was totally in love with Jon English!;D Did you see the link I posted to..."

I will check out the link ... I so loved that song and Jon English too. Scary to think about now, but it was fun at the time.

message 44: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Saw 'Bran Nue Dae' yesterday on video. What a unique aussie type of film that was. Great music, fun, funny, corny and all the actors shined. It was a good movie to watch on a Sunday afternoon.

message 45: by Regan (new)

Regan (mollytornado) I usually despise Australian movies and TV shows. I know that is a harsh word but I think that Australian acting and screenplays leave much to be desired.

Despite that, two Australian movies do sit in my top favourite movies of all time. They are Romper Stomper and The Illustrated Family Doctor. The only Australian TV shows I watch are At the Movies, First Tuesday Book Club, Good Game, and Rage.

message 46: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd Regan wrote: "I usually despise Australian movies and TV shows. I know that is a harsh word but I think that Australian acting and screenplays leave much to be desired.

Despite that, two Australian movies do si..."

Don't you like Australian Story, Media Watch and Q&A, Regan. I'm surprised at how biased/dumb/brilliant/goodnatured some of the participants are on Q&A. Laurel

message 47: by Regan (new)

Regan (mollytornado) Laurel wrote: "Don't you like Australian Story, Media Watch and Q&A, Regan. I'm surprised at how biased/dumb/brilliant/goodnatured some of the participants are on Q&A. Laurel"

I do not watch Media Watch or Q&A, mainly because the hosts annoy me, haha. I do watch Australian Story every now and then, though, depending on who it is focusing on.

message 48: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda While we're talking about the ABC I have to mention some of my favourites:
Spicks and Specks
Art Nation (I'm obsessed with Modern Art - see I can't even write Modern Art without capitalizing the first letters!)
Sometimes I watch Landline because I lived many years in country areas and find the plight of our environment and farmers to be very important.

message 49: by Mandapanda (last edited Oct 11, 2010 03:04PM) (new)

Mandapanda Here's a fun list (although with some shocking omissions/inclusions IMHO!).
Empire Magazine's Top 100 Film Characters.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sorcha-sidhe) "Offspring" is the best Australian TV series I have seen in a LONG TIME. It's hilariously funny and the actors in it are BRILLIANT - highly recommended!
~S.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20