Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

GoodReads Author's Books > Unlocked (YA anthology by nine GoodReads Authors)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeanne (last edited Aug 29, 2010 03:15PM) (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) On Friday, August 13, Unlocked, a new collection of YA short stories was released. Visit http://www.unlockedproject.com to download a free PDF copy.

Unlocked is ten tales by nine Goodreads authors; the only thing that binds them is a "key."

Back cover blurb:

Treachery in old London, a crop circle mystery, and a cyborg punished for gazing at the night sky open this collection of new stories that will intrigue teens and adults alike.

Fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, and fanciful versions of school life--the motif they share is a key. Which key will unlock a mystery, free the trapped, comfort the rejected, or bring new resolve to a boy who has taken a wrong path? What treasures can we discover if we only find the right key?

Title list:

Assassin's Keeper by Jaimey Grant
Crop Circles by Wendy Swore
Symbiote by Rita J. Webb
Where They Belong by Paige Ray
Survival by Jaimey Grant
Unlocking William by Jeanne Voelker
Shoshanna by K.G. Borland
The Key to a Good Education by Gwendolyn McIntyre
The Bookseller by Katrina Monroe
Her Father's Eyes by S.M. Carrière

Fun and games (including a paperback giveaway) is taking place in the Unlocked group here on Goodreads. Everyone's welcome, so please join.

Thanx for looking and I hope you enjoy the stories!
www.unlockedproject.com

Unlocked

message 2: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments Hi, I'm one of the authors of Unlocked. My story Symbiote was based on my own yearnings and dreams for something more for my life. A cyborg slave girl stares up at the stars, wishing they could miraculously rescue her from the corporation that owns her.

Don't we all feel that way at times? Wishing to be free?

message 3: by Jaimey (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 3 comments Link to the Unlocked group, if you'd like to join in the fun and games: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

message 4: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) Unlocked is now available in paperback form through Amazon.com. Come see our beautiful listing!

http://www.amazon.com/Unlocked-Ten-Ta...

(Or, you can still download Unlocked for free at the address in message #1.

message 5: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) Hmm, I often wonder if fictional characters are partly based on real-life people or if they are totally invented.

Rita (in message #2) says she gave the cyborg slave girl in her story the same yearnings and dreams she had.

My main character in Unlocking William is based on an annoying boy that my haircutter went to school with a few years ago. Of course, I never met her classmate, but haven't we all gone to school with at least one kid who used his considerable talents and energies to annoy people?

message 6: by Rita (last edited Sep 06, 2010 08:47PM) (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments I think some characters we write have a kernel of the people we know, a kernel of ourselves, and a kernel of who we want to be, added with a liberal splash of what-if's.

For example, a character I designed to exhibit traits of my father has to be written from my soul. My heart and understanding goes into it. I'm the one who has to think for that character, so a lot of my own feelings, insecurities, thoughts, go into it. And at the same time, there are qualities, like courage or grit that I don't feel like I possess that I give to this character so that I can live vicariously through them, and in a way, I learn to have more courage on my own by experiencing this character's qualities. And then in the end, I ask myself, what if this person (who is a combination of myself and my father) actually lived in the inner city of Chicago? How would that have changed them from the character that I based on my father?

Wow, that was a convoluted idea with a lot of complex, jumbled sentences. Did I make any sense at all? Or is it time for me to go to bed?

message 7: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) I like this, Rita, and yes, it makes perfect sense.
The character might exhibit traits of your father and these you know well. Yet, when you put your character into a different environment, you have to imagine how he will feel and act there. Inner-city Chicago would be a radical change from your parents' environment, right? There would be challenges, maybe severe ones.

I love writing fiction because we can put our characters into circumstances that challenge them and force them to grow -- and sometimes to re-evaluate their ideas or beliefs.

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
This is kinda fun... I like that it involves goodread authors!! Fabulous!

message 9: by Rita (last edited Sep 30, 2010 08:01PM) (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments Jeanne wrote: "I love writing fiction because we can put our characters into circumstances that challenge them and force them to grow -- and sometimes to re-evaluate their ideas or beliefs. "

And sometimes, Jeanne, we can put into our characters the personality traits we wish we had, maybe some spunk and sass, maybe courage, maybe strength or leadership skills, and in so doing, we may find more of those traits growing in ourselves, just by acting it out on paper.

Angie wrote: "This is kinda fun... I like that it involves goodread authors!! Fabulous!"

Angie, the project was a lot of fun. The authors met here on goodreads and decided to work together to make this anthology. That's what makes goodreads such a wonderful place to be.