I Love Canadian Authors discussion

Off Topic > What's New?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) | 419 comments Mod
Just realized we had an off topic folder with nothing in it? Gasp!

So, this topic is just to let us all know what's new, what's up, what's going on...you know what I mean. A general 'chat' thread, I suppose.

So, what's up with all of you?

message 2: by Friederike (last edited Sep 01, 2010 05:39AM) (new)

Friederike Knabe (fknabe) | 52 comments Hi Renee,
Nice idea...
My copy of the new Jane Urquhart book Sanctuary Line is on its way! She will be coming to Ottawa in September some time... I look forward to meeting her, having beome quite a fan of her books.

message 3: by A.J. (new)

A.J. I have been sucked away from reading and most other things all summer long by the new puppy, who I'm training as a bird dog. It's like having a new baby around, except she grows up quicker.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 237 comments Mod
AJ, What kind of puppy? We have a Nova Scotia Duck Toller that we adore but have to say I am glad that we are finished with the puppy stage. My son named the dog Scamper after the dog in the Secret Seven books by Enid Blyton (there's my link into books).

message 5: by A.J. (new)

A.J. She's a Welsh Springer Spaniel.

She's named Sadie after the dog in Thomas McGuane's Something to Be Desired, or after our last dog's sister, depending who you ask.

She's six months now and has, um, personality.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Personality can be a good thing or ...

Good luck with her. I like the name but haven't read the book. I hope your pup doesn't leave... something to be desired. ;)

message 7: by Renee (new)

Just wanted to drop in and remind everyone that Banned Books Week is on September 25th. We all, as readers and writers, should celebrate by reading a banned book. Canada's own banned books week is in February. I like to support both.

It's not as bad as it used to be, right? Wrong. http://reneeamiller.blogspot.com/2010... As long as their are idiots there will be banned books I suspect.

message 8: by Gregg (new)

Gregg Seeley (greggwerks) | 38 comments When you're on vacation or on a long road trip, why not download your copy of Big Bobby Boom! and the Marble Mayhem. It will be worth the laugh you'll get. So go the site below and get your copy now!
http://www.moosehidebooks.com/cgi-bin...

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Happy Thanksgiving you guys. Two dinners, one tonight with friends then one tomorrow with family. Hope you each have a safe and happy long weekend.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Thanks Shannon. YOu have a good one too. We're done our dinners and recovering from eating way too much food. Can't wait for Christmas dinner.

message 11: by Renee (new)

Hello all. I just wanted to post some great news for one of our members. Shane Joseph's book After the FloodAfter the Flood, having sold out its first edition, came out in second edition with a brand new cover and is now available via amazon.com (and amazon.ca, .uk and others) Congratulations Shane!Everyone else, check it out. I'm going to add to my list and do the same.

message 12: by Renee (new)

Hey everyone, check out our fellow ILCA and CACA member (yes, I just realized that group has funny initials) Stuart Ross in Open Book Toronto http://www.openbooktoronto.com/greatc...

message 13: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 183 comments Enjoyed the interview, Renee. Thanks for posting! Are you still with Open Book?

message 14: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 183 comments That's super news for Shane. Congratulations Shane!

message 15: by Renee (new)

I am. Actually our writing challenge for June ends on the 15th. It's fun reading all the different interpretations of each challenge, and really hard to pick a 'winner'.

message 16: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 183 comments Haven't been following things too much lately due to work overload. Will check it out again.

message 17: by Renee (new)

Hey everyone, I just wanted to invite you all to check out a website I've built with author Carlos J. Cortes. On Fiction Writing is a writers community geared toward improving and promoting all authors; unpublished, traditionally published and self-published. For the month of January, we're offering 6 months free membership. Just use coupon code XM827 when registering. After that it costs less than $1 per day. Check it out, the Showcase is my favorite perk, where all writers, published or not, can post five pages to either tempt readers to buy their work or tempt agents/publishers to ask for more.

We also have monthly anthology contests that will cover nearly all genres, a peer critique workshop, forum and all of it is free for members. We welcome members to submit articles for publication in the e-zine and are looking for authors, editors, etc. to interview there as well.

I'd love to help promote the talent we have here in the wild North, so come on over and check it out.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael | 10 comments My story “Ransom Heart” has made the list of three finalists for the Second Wind Publishing short story contest.

The winner of the contest will be determined exclusively by “votes” placed at the contest site by January 31, 2012. (See link below). “Votes” are made by leaving the name of the story as a comment on the short blog article at the link below.

http://secondwindcontests.wordpress.c...

message 19: by Medea (new)

Medea Kalantar (goodreadscomhoneycake) | 2 comments Hi everyone, I’m a new self published author for a children’s books series called honeycake. My first grandchild will be born next month. This is why I got inspired to write these books. I know that if we instil these valuable lessons to our youth at an early age, we can shift the universe into a positive direction.
Blessings of Love and Light
Medea
https://m.facebook.com/Honeycake-Book...

message 20: by Ali (new)

Ali | 40 comments Mod
Medea wrote: "Hi everyone, I’m a new self published author for a children’s books series called honeycake. My first grandchild will be born next month. This is why I got inspired to write these books. I know tha..."

Hi Madea,

Thank you for joining the group! Congratulations on your first grandchild and as well on your books!

I am looking forward to reading them!

Sincerely,
Ali

message 21: by Medea (new)

Medea Kalantar (goodreadscomhoneycake) | 2 comments Hi everyone,
My book is available online if you’re not in Canada click below

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0228810531/...

If you’re Canadian

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0228810531/r...

As a first time Author would love your support and reviews.

Thank you 🙏🏻💖

In Warmth

Medea