Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Group Discussions > Cliffhangers: A Good or Bad Trend?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Have you noticed the recent trend where books are ending in major cliffhangers? Do you like it when an author does that or do you wish they would stop the madness of it all? I must confess that when a couple of my friends told me that Changeless by Gail Carriger ended up in a cliffhanger I didn't get the book. Not even from the library. I'm waiting for the next book, Blameless, to come out and hoping there is no major Cliffhanger in it. What do you think?

message 2: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I love cliffhangers! I think they make a book more worthwhile because if each book ended with a happily-ever-after then my reading life would be boring. I like sitting at the edge of my seat and wondering what happens next. The only thing that drives me crazy about cliffhangers is that you have to wait for the next book -_- and I’m not very patient. But cliffhangers have the potential to take a book from good to great i.e. Catching Fire (now THAT was a great cliffhanger). Cliffhangers keeps the reader intrested.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments I like cliffhangers and ITA with you Sashana! I don't know about but I tend to forget what happened at the end of the last book! I am almost done with Mockingjay but I was a little loss since it had been a while since Catching Fire. I did like that cliffhanger though.

message 4: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) I love cliffhangers! If there's another book coming after this, then I'm really excited because it's got me anticipating what happens next. Catching Fire, too, was a great cliffhanger, too. If you think about Twilight and you aren't obsessed, then there's not really anything about the books that make you want to keep reading because there's no consistency and no real ongoing plot line besides her love life. It's not like in Twilight Bella knew that Victoria was going to come after her.

I loved the cliffhangers Richelle Mead throws out for Vampire Academy - that's how she got so many people loving the series. Just think about Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise and Spirit Bound. I can't wait for Last Sacrifice! Also think about House of Night - for a lot of people, they want to give up on it because they dislike it. But they still keep reading it because the cliffhangers keep them hooked.

message 5: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I agree! Richelle Mead is the queen of cliffhangers.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Yeah, I gotta give that one to her. Hated waiting for the next one cause of that!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments I definatly love and hate cliffhangers. I love the feeling and wondering. After so much wondering I get a bit fed-up and have a hard time liking the cliffhanger. I am just one of those people that has to know.