Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Hispanic/Latino Books?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Any good ones? We did read "Martina, the Beautiful Cockroach" which was recommended by this board. I loved it. Thanks!

Any others?

message 2: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7200 comments Mod
I've read and enjoyed the following Latino picture books:

Tomás and the Library Lady
Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez
The Secret Footprints
The Rainbow Tulip
The Storyteller's Candle/La velita de los cuentos

Most of these, except The Rainbow Tulip were discussed in May by the Picture Book Club, so you should probably check them out there.

message 3: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 213 comments I have recently read:

Adelita: A Mexican Cinderella Story
Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
Borreguita and the Coyote

We have read Borreguita for the North American book club theme in this club.

message 4: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments Just thinking quickly, I love Abuela by Arthur Dorros, and his follow-up book, Isla.

I'll have to think of others that we've read.

message 5: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments bump

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Kirei, I don't think we really need to bump any threads in this group. They're all open threads and I like to think members will find the ones that interest them, eventually anyway.

message 7: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Actually, I couldn't find it all despite looking for it. It was moved to a different folder.

That is why I bumped it. It is a brand new thread and I was interested in people's responses.

message 8: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments Another book that I really like is Grandma's Records by Eric Velasquez. This book is autobiographical, about a grandma from Puerto Rico who shares her love for the music from her home with her grandson. This book won the Society of School Librarians International Book Award.

Grandma's Records by Eric Velasquez

message 9: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Thanks everyone!

message 10: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments I haven't read Floating on Mama's Song by Laura Lacamara, but I love illustrator Yuyi Morales's work and the book looks delightful. There's a great review and an excerpt at this link:
http://coloronline.blogspot.com/2010/...

Floating on Mama's Song by Laura Lacamara

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments By the way, does anyone know how to pronounce Yuyi? I love Yuyi Morales's illustrations!

message 12: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5753 comments Mod
Gundula wrote: "Most of these, except The Rainbow Tulip were discussed in May by the Picture Book Club, so you should probably check them out there. "

Here's that link :-)

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

We had a lot of great suggestions in that thread and I look forward to finding more with this one, too.

message 13: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Kathryn | 5753 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "By the way, does anyone know how to pronounce Yuyi? I love Yuyi Morales's illustrations!"

I don't know :-( I love her work, too, though!