Fantastic Fantasy and Science Fiction discussion

Fantasy Science Fiction > Fantasy/sci-fi books

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenm_89) | 3 comments Just wondering if any one has read any excellent books that seem to straddle both genres? I am thinking here of Australian author Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn series. Has anyone read them? Highly recommended if not - it starts, funnily enough, with Obernewtyn and the last book, The Sending is due out early next year after a wait of over a decade!

message 2: by jD (new)

jD (jd_4everbooked) | 109 comments Mod
Excellent question and one I struggle with and also one of the reasons I started this group. Three books come to mind and they are both strange and require a great deal of patience and imagination but they are excellent.
1) Deep Waters which is a trilogy completed last year. It's done there are no unresolved issues.
2) The other is a series by Jeffrey Overstreet called Auralia's Colors: The Red Strand. There have been three books so far and each ends with a major cliffhanger. My frustration is that Overstreet does not seem to consider it his life's mission to write these books any faster. Also, I had thought it was going to be a trilogy but have found that not to be the case. I am thinking there are one maybe two more.
3) Iron Elves. Two books have been published of this trilogy. I expect the third to come out within a year. This series surprised me with its humor and creativity. It is mostly fantasy but there is a strong science fiction element.

message 3: by David (new)

David Carroll (david_carroll) | 3 comments One problem with this question is how to define the difference between Science Fiction and Fantasy. The best definition I have heard is as follows:
Science Fiction is characterized by books which feature a new piece of technology as a focal point for the book, and the hero(ine) breaks traditions and thinks outside the box to win.
Fantasy is characterized by traditions and/or prophecies foretelling great events. The hero(ine) must discover their past, or embrace the traditions of their fathers and hold fast to them in order to defeat the bad guy.
How then, can you have a book where the main character breaks traditions and also follows them? Is there a book with a cool piece of technology, and yet prophecies and/or ancient traditions?
One such movie which MAY meet this criteria is 'The Paycheck'. In that movie, the new piece of technology creates prophecies, and everything after a certain point in the movie was orchestrated in advance.

- David D. Carroll

message 4: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Faerlind (sjfaerlind) | 6 comments Crossovers can be really neat! You could try "There will be Dragons" by John Ringo:
There Will Be Dragons (The Council Wars, #1) by John Ringo

There are some really novel and interesting ideas in this book (and I think there's a sequel too?). I personally don't always enjoy all aspects of this author's work. I admire his originality, creativity and writing style....brilliant. Some of the stuff he includes in his stories puts me off though. For example, there was a big deal made about the issue of rape in the post-apocalyptic world in this story. I thought that the issue was blown all out of proportion in the story until an idea of why it was emphasized occurred to me. Most of the male characters in the story are testosterone-laden, dominant types who enjoy the power and majesty of being male I suppose. A lot of the female characters are strong in themselves (a plus) but somehow seem to accept their inherently submissive female nature anyway (grrr...). That and the "might is right" underlying message philosophy of most of Ringo's books grate on me. Having said that, those are my personal pet peeves and others may not share them. The creativity and originality of the story made it a worthwhile read for me in spite of all the testosterone.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments Hello everyone!
Can you suggest me smth cyberpunk genre?