Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Raised by Wolves - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Aug 28, 2010 05:16PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This thread is for the discussion of: Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes to begin in September!

**Please be aware**
This thread WILL contain spoilers. If you would like to make a comment or ask a question without reading spoilers you can visit the September BOM Roll Call Thread and post there instead.

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I read this book a couple days before Sept started because I really wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I gave it 3.5 stars, and I have some mixed feelings about it.

I really found myself disliking Bryn, but I really liked the concept of the book. It was a little bit of a different perspective, focusing on a human in a supernatural world.

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments This is a different take on werewolves with teens and kids as a focus. The pack and their bond interesting. I liked Bryn right from the start, she was sarcastic and snarky, a human in the world of wolves, but that didn't stop her from doing what she wanted in that world. I liked that Bryn was so driven by her instinct to tell her what she needed to do, what was right for her and the people around her.

I had a hard time with Callum. At times I thought he was inappropriate with Bryn, but after learning everything about him and his abilities I both hate him and admire and like him. I know he was doing what he thought was right, but sometimes the right thing doesn't always sit well.

I think this book really set things up to be the first in a great series, or maybe that is just my hope!

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Darcy did you eventually get tired of the one word sentences? That started to bother me by the end. It was so repetitious.

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I didn't notice it when I was reading it. But when things are YA I will let things go like that as I know too many kids that actually talk like that.

I did really like Bryn's friend, I can't really remember her name. I thought her hiding when the wolves were coming through was both good and very scary to have to even do that.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Jess wrote: "Darcy did you eventually get tired of the one word sentences? That started to bother me by the end. It was so repetitious."

I enjoyed this one but I grew tired of the one word sentences too. I wanted full sentences or even a proper conversation between Bryn and Chase. I wish we'd been able to get to know Chase a little better but thought it was quite funny when someone comments that Bryn doesn't do things by halves - she'd never had a boyfriend then all of sudden she's got a mate. Lol!

message 7: by is mee... kissa (last edited Sep 07, 2010 02:45AM) (new)

is mee... kissa | 11 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: I enjoyed this one but I grew tired of the one word sentences too. I wanted full sentences or even a proper conversation between Bryn and Chase.

i agree... it goes Blood. Survive. Something... i got kind of tired of it...
overall i still found it kind of lacking.. i gave it 2 stars i think... but then again i give heaps of book 2 stars...

the main thing i disliked i think is the fact that Bryn and Chase just get some connection like.. within the first ten seconds of meeting each other... i have gotten really bored of those kind of 'love' things... i'm not sure i ever really liked them actually.. i thought they were really cheesy

Darcy... her friend's name is Lake.. i think...

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments This one sucked me in right away. I didn't see the set up with the permissions and her breaking them. So, I liked the classic mystery ending where all the cards are laid on the table, the clues are revealed and put together.

But, if the mystery is too hard to see- then you just get discouraged/bored and give up.

I did see the set up coming with the confrontation at Wilson's cabin. I could tell that wasn't going to go off that easy and could see the possibility of other wolves in that cabin. I was wondering if she was going to let him slip away. I was thrilled when good triumphed over evil and the villain got his just rewards.

She gave us a peek at what the conflict in the next book will be. I'm wondering if she will follow through or throw us a curve ball. I haven't read the synopsis for the next book yet.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments I liked this book. Bryn seemed like a young Mercy (Moon Called) to me. There was plenty of action and adventure and a little romance in there. Overall, for a first book in a series, it was pretty good.

I, too, am interested to see where Bryn goes from here. I liked the book more right after I finished it - and before the similarities to Mercy kicked in. Of course I liked the character, she seems just like one of my favorites...

I didn't mind the lack of interaction between Bryn and Chase because - to me - this was Bryn's story. It was more about her and building her world.

message 10: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments This book was definitely a young adult book and the 15 year old narrator grates my nerves.I did not really care for for Bryn by the 2nd half of the book I found her tolerable.

Then the broken sentences that was just annoying .... mine mine mine or blood blood blood Trapped or Rabid..why why what did that add??

Bryn's beat down is a gusty move for a ya book, and I wish the lesson had not been it needed to happen because I needed you and Ali to leave, so you could come into your own. I would have rather it been left with I had no choice as Alpha I must stand behind pack law even though it was your mate. Also is it just me or was the great betrayal a bit of a let down??

Is Chase her mate? I wish we knew more about him especially since we spent so much time in their head.

Despite all of these issues I did enjoy the story and it is an easy read but unless the next book is freakin awesome and you guys rave over it I think I will skip it.

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think that one of my issues was also that we didn't get to know Chase that well. Everything was filtered through Bryn's annoying sense of "me, me, me".

Personally, she might be the most obnoxious main character I've seen recently. I almost put the book down because of her.

message 12: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments That's funny. The broken sentences didn't bother me at all. I felt like they were just more realistic to how someone really would think. I know that I typically don't think in full sentences. More like thoughts, and fragments, and one word sentences.

message 13: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments @ Jess I wanted to like Chase but even at the end I think they kiss or something and I am like why? What makes her bond with Chase different from the one she has with Lake or Devon. I mean I like innocent romance and all but I just need to know if it is romance or like twins with different moms or just BFFs

Kelly Anne I think the first 50 or so were no problem but then around the 75th time I read BLOOD BLOOD I was just annoyed. Plus I could not quite always grasp how they went together when Chase is hunting the deer and his wolf screams blood blood blood that makes sense but there were other times where I was like why, why are you screaming blood now????

message 14: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I do agree with Dawn about not getting to know Chase very well. Hopefully the next one will answer some of the questions for us.

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments I loved, loved, LOVED this book! It sucked me in right away and I'm bummed the next one isn't out yet. Something to look forward to.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I just got this one from the library at the beginning of the week, and I'm a little over halfway through. I've just met Lake and Devon's half-brother, Shay. I am liking the story so far. As others have mentioned, I like the different perspective on weres. It feels very much like a real wolf pack. I like that they call the rogues "rabids". I am very much interested in finding out what Callum's deal is. It seems like he's somehow precog., but even this far into the book, there's just not enough info yet to say for sure.

More reading ahead.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I downloaded a sample of this one and while I may try again later...right now it is just not sparking my intrest

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) I liked it because it was different. I did get frustrated with the one word sentences when she was having "pack thoughts," but I get why she did it. I just don't need it to feel what they might be thinking. Plus, the flashbacks, while a great technique, just aren't my favorite things in the world. When I flash back to something bad in my life I don't repeat the same word over and over again. Maybe some people do.
I loved Devon. I want to read more about him. My feelings on Callum wavered throughout the book. I seriously thought condition number 4 was going to be that he'd mate her off with someone, or even himself. I got a little worried there. =)
LIke I said, I enjoyed the book. Here's my big issue...I got very frustrated when Bryn started to give in and change herself for the boy. I understand her motivation and technically becoming a better fighter is good for her, but the obeying orders issue I would have said "screw you" and then found another way. After having spent years fighting to avoid being submissive I just wouldn't do it. Callum took advantage of that deal, and while in the end there was a purpose for it, it just didn't sit well with me at the time.