Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Soulless - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Aug 28, 2010 05:17PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This thread is for the discussion of: Soulless by Gail Carriger
Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger to begin in September!

**Please be aware**
This thread WILL contain spoilers. If you would like to make a comment or ask a question without reading spoilers you can visit the September BOM Roll Call Thread and post there instead.

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Anyone start this one yet?

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I've read it and it was one of my favorite reads for 2009. I've read Changeless and finished Blameless this weekend. A new reader should just read all three in a row. Wonderful books/author.

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) | 58 comments I though it was an original and fun read! I really enjoyed this one. I love books set in the Victorian age and the fact that this was a paranormal story in this time just made it all the better. Ms. Alexia Tarabotti is not your usual Victorian heroine, she is strong and feisty (not to mention "soulless") which usually causes her to end up in funny and sometimes compromising situations! Lord Conall Maccon is a loud, powerful and sexy werewolf who spares no opportunity to get under Alexia's skin, and toget ...more Original and fun read! I really enjoyed this one. I love books set in the Victorian age and the fact that this was a paranormal story in this time just made it all the better. Ms. Alexia Tarabotti is not your usual Victorian heroine, she is strong and feisty (not to mention "soulless") which usually causes her to end up in funny and sometimes compromising situations! Lord Conall Maccon is a loud, powerful and sexy werewolf who spares no opportunity to get under Alexia's skin, and together those two make for an exciting and unusual romance! Loved the vampire Lord Alkeldama's lavish outfits and tongue in cheek humor throughout the story...he was one of my favorite characters! A perfect blend of action, humor and romance!

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I loved Lord Akeldama's "gang" and wasn't it so sweet and wonderful when they rescued him in book #1. Loved them.

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I tried this one, but just couldn't get into it, it just wasn't for me.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I loved the novel, but the whole thing was written with a really dry sense of humor that may not be to everyone's taste. I loved the quirky characters, and Lord Maccon and his dear second (whose name I can't remember right now) are personal faves. I'm looking forward to the third one, which is sitting on my Sony waiting for me.

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I think you'll love it Sarah, it better than #2.

message 9: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T. I love this entire series, but my favorite is Blameless. I love the world that Gail Carriger has thought up and the characters she's created, especially Miss Ivy Hisselpenny (her hats!) and Lord Akeldama (his clothes!).

message 10: by Totho (new)

Totho | 2 comments I thought this was a great book! It took me a few chapters to get into it, but once I did it was hard to stop. I've already bought the next two - just need to find some time to read!

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments You'll want to read them one after the other Tersoa. Changless has a major cliffhanger that's wrapped up in Blameless.

message 12: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4452 comments This is the 2nd time read of Soulless for me. 5 stars first time around and 5 stars again. Read it yesterday, and I've just finished Changeless, and will start Blameless as soon as I've finished updating. LOL.

I must have the right kind of brain to really get into these type of books. I can certainly see that they wouldn't be everyone's 'cup of tea' but I did enjoy both of them very much. The supporting characters are just so exotic and the steampunk elements so fascinating.

Shame we have to wait for July the the 4th book.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Williams (sandy_williams) I thought Soulless was charming. Loved the humor. Plus, it was a little different from books I typically read which are written in close 3rd person point of view. This was omniscient and took some getting used to, but it totally grew on me.

message 14: by Totho (new)

Totho | 2 comments Carolyn - You are right! I just finished Changeless and started reading Blameless right away. This is really an enjoyable series :)

message 15: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I had to wait months and months to find out what happened next. Very frustrating.

message 16: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4452 comments Carolyn, that's exactly why I waited to read Changeless, until I had Blameless in my hot little hands. LOL.

message 17: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn (pnrbookworm) I am really enjoying the setting and the storyline, but one thing is really starting to bug me. The author constantly switches between calling the main character Alexia and Ms. Tarabotti. Since Alexia is the one telling the story, for the most part, I wish the author had consistently chosen one name to refer to the character.

Lori {Romancing the Dark Side} (romancingthedarkside) | 58 comments I agree Jaclyn the back and forth of the character's name is quiet annoying!

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) I've heard so many mixed things about this book. I have the book checked out right now, but I cannot find the motivation to pick it up. I hate when a book is like this for me.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) I finally finished! Thanks to someone finally telling me something good about it. I went in expecting to dislike it since I haven't been lucky with the genre, but I was pleasantly surprised. Despite the frivolity that becomes rather annoying (although, is accurate for the period), I enjoyed the plot and the characters. I'm glad it was a group read since I would have missed out on it otherwise.

message 21: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 54 comments I so enjoyed this book!If this is steampunk I want more I will be reading the next in this series!