THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - Book Discussions > THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH

Comments Showing 1-50 of 250 (250 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Thanks again Rick!

message 3: by Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB (last edited Aug 28, 2010 05:14PM) (new)

Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB  | 7274 comments Mod
Marialyce wrote: "Thanks again Rick!"

MY PLEASURE! lets hope we can get our friend Gary to join!

message 4: by Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) (last edited Aug 28, 2010 06:29PM) (new)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) ..or anyone else who wants to join us!

Marialyce wrote: "..or anyone else who wants to join is!"

touche!

message 6: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Rick, are you going to do a Book/Movie comparison? I just watched the two hour series finale.

Cecilia wrote: "Rick, are you going to do a Book/Movie comparison? I just watched the two hour series finale."

to be honest- never read book or saw film! but a great idea!!!

message 8: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Well I will join. I have already read Pillars of the Earth, but now that I have seen the series, I am itching to read it again.

message 9: by Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) (last edited Aug 28, 2010 06:51PM) (new)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I read the book eons ago. I wonder if the movie is available on Netflix.
It is a great idea to do a comparison between the two. I use to do that with my literature classes when I taught. We all "enjoyed" what Hollywood did to many of our novels.

message 10: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) On Netflix you can watch it instantly, or if you have Starz you can watch it on Starz on Demand.

Open as to when to begin the Buddyread!

message 12: by Shay (new)

Shay | 528 comments Should we give everyone a few days? I have my copy. I may start reading early because between my three books, it's almost 3,000 pages. So, I'll be ahead for a few days, then probably be struggling along.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I think so, Shay. Perhaps we might start in the middle of next week. around the first of September if that is ok.

I just ordered my copy- should have it by end of next week

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) The end of next week is fine too, Rick!

message 16: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) I have a couple of books to finish up, but I should be ready to start end of next week.

How do you guys work buddy reads in this group? I have not one done with you guys before.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) We just kind of read a certain amount ( or at least try to) put spoilers up with chapters or pages we read and then just chat. It is simple, non judgmental, and easy. Just say what you feel and think pretty much is the key. So happy to have you with us, Cecilia!

message 18: by Shay (new)

Shay | 528 comments End of next week sounds good. That way I can wrap up some of my other books. How much should we read each day? What's an amount that will make this feel unpressured and enjoyable to most people?

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I don't have the book yet, Shay, although I think I will put it on my kindle. Not sure about chapter length and all. Is anyone opposed to say 60-80 pages a day? (hard to tell on a kindle what that is though!!!):) If anyone has the book how many chapters would 60 pages be?

message 20: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I have no idea ... mine is an audible download.

message 21: by Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB (last edited Aug 30, 2010 04:05AM) (new)

60pgs sounds good- I will let you know if I get it from Amazon by Friday- I wrote to seller to let him know I had a buddyreading starting on Fri- so he could rush it- I just hope it shows up by Friday- or I will have to play catch up!

message 22: by Shay (new)

Shay | 528 comments The Chapters look quite long- 80+ pages. But the chapters are divided into scenes. So, since we'll probably all be reading different versions, we can read to say Chapter 1, scene 4, for example.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) OK Sounds good to me. Let's start Friday and hopefully, Rick will have his book by then. :)

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim | 5 comments I am just finishing the book - what a hard world it was if the book's accurate.
I'm looking forward to see what people think about POE

message 25: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Me, too, Jim. I think it will be interesting to see what others think about it.

I got email from vendor- should be here by Friday- if not- I will try to get a library copy on Friday until my paperback arrives

I have a terrible habit of buying books- instead of using the library- I need to break that habit!!!!

message 28: by Shay (new)

Shay | 528 comments I'm not a scholar of this period of English history. Can anyone recommend anything (besides the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles) as an introduction to this period? A decent, accurate website would be best at this point.

message 29: by Howard (new)

Howard (hkbeale) | 44 comments Shay wrote: "I'm not a scholar of this period of English history. Can anyone recommend anything (besides the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles) as an introduction to this period? A decent, accurate website would be best a..."
It's been a long time since I read Pillars, set in the 12th century as I recall. I cannot help with web-sites, but you might look at "The Feudal Kingdom of England, 1042-1216" by Frank Barlow. Barlow also wrote a biography of Thomas Becket, whose quarrel with Henry II was one of the main events of the century. W. L. Warren did a long, but excellent, biography of Henry II (ruled 1154-1189) and there are a number of good books out on his Queen, Eleanor of Aquitaine. It was a century filled with forceful, larger than life people, particularly in England. Enjoy.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) http://www.oprah.com/oprahsbookclub/C...

This is a site where you can find our book with a kind of study type guide if you feel it is necessary

message 31: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Rick wrote: "I have a terrible habit of buying books- instead of using the library- I need to break that habit!!!!"

I haven't broken that habit, Rick, but I have dented it a bit lately. Now I'm feeling pressure with due dates! Not so sure I need that pressure, but there's something exciting about being able to order almost any book from my small town library!!

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Martha wrote: "Rick wrote: "I have a terrible habit of buying books- instead of using the library- I need to break that habit!!!!"

I haven't broken that habit, Rick, but I have dented it a bit lately. Now I'm ..."

It is the concept of getting something wonderful for nothing I think.

message 33: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) YES!! And what's more wonderful than a book!!

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) How true is that!!! :)

true!!! but every day there is at least one or two books from Amazon in my mailbox! today was Mists of Avalon and Margaret George's Helen of Troy

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Gets expensive after a while!

message 37: by Shay (new)

Shay | 528 comments This used bookstore (online) is having a Labor Day sale. Sale books are 4 for $10, shipping free. You have to buy at least 4 books to get that price though, from the 5th book on is $2.50 a book. http://www.betterworldbooks.com/

Best of all, profits go to fund world literacy. So, cheap books you can feel good about. I ordered 12 already, may order more. My husband is not thrilled because this kind of goes against the spirit of my Nook purchase, but he was okay with it because it's for charity.

message 38: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Rick wrote: "true!!! but every day there is at least one or two books from Amazon in my mailbox! today was Mists of Avalon and Margaret George's Helen of Troy"

Is Margaret George any good? I haven't read any of her books though I've heard good and bad things, concensus?

Kyle wrote: "Rick wrote: "true!!! but every day there is at least one or two books from Amazon in my mailbox! today was Mists of Avalon and Margaret George's Helen of Troy"

Is Margaret George a..."

Her books are very long- but extremely addicting and very easy to get into!
I would start with....

The Autobiography of Henry VIII With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George

message 40: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Thanks Rick :D I'll have to buy it though, the only one of her books my library has is Memoirs of Cleopatra.

message 41: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Rick did you get your book? Are we starting today?

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I have started it and really like the characters particularly Tom and Ellen. I take it we are reading up to Chapter 1 Part 4.

message 43: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Great! So plus the prologue that is 78 pages. How long do we have to read?

we can start today- I have not received my copy- I will hope to get it tomm- or maybe be able to get a library copy- but I will have to play catch up- which is fine- I dont feel it is right for me to hold everyone else up

message 45: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) I could wait till Monday to start. I have been really slow in finishing up my two books. How long do we get to read the first section?

Monday would be great! I will go to library if it in not in Saturday's post

message 47: by Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB (last edited Sep 03, 2010 04:58PM) (new)

so how much do we read? proloque plus Ch 1, part 4? by Monday evening? is that agreed by all? I want to be fair to everyone

Kyle wrote: "Thanks Rick :D I'll have to buy it though, the only one of her books my library has is Memoirs of Cleopatra."

Hi Kyle- I have that book too- Her Cleopatra book is also quite long- but very good- I would take it out of your library- and if you enjoy her style of writing- you can get the Henry VIII book on Amazon for about 7 buck (Tax included)

message 49: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Okay... I am really one of those people who needs a picture drawn for them.

So let me see if I get this all straight....

We are going to start Monday and finish 80 some odd pages by Monday night and discuss on Tuesday?

Who all is joining us?

Sorry! I just got a little lost.

:)

Rick is- makes #2 now!

all rest please type names and #!

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.