Murakami Maniacs discussion

What murakami, was you first & what was it that had you hooked

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Parrish (new)

Parrish Lantern My first was Kafka on the shore & it still has a corner of my heart thats all its own.The reason is probably the same for most of his work & its the way he combines the mundanity of surburban existence with the flashes of magic realism, all done seamlessly. there's not a book by him I dislike.

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 1 comments My first was The Elephant Vanishes. It was an incredible first look into his writing. The Second Bakery Attack will probably be one of my all time favorite short stories.

message 3: by Rieddhi (new)

Rieddhi (riesquared) | 1 comments I read The Elephant Vanishes for a Modern Japanese Literature course I took in college. I was supposed to read a handful of stories, but I ending up reading them all for pleasure.

The following year, I picked up a copy of Kafka on the Shore at a discount bookstore. It took me over a year to finally pick it up (I was too busy with school to read a book for fun. I finally read it, and now I've got at least seven Murakami works under my belt now. Kafka on the Shore got me hooked, and I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle shortly after, and it hooked me in even more.

message 4: by Nazia (new)

Nazia Kera (naziak) | 1 comments My first Murakami was Norwegian Wood and the very first chapter captured me. I often re-read that first chapter.

I haven't as yet read any others but plan to so. I will probably read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle next and also want to read Sputnik Sweetheart.

message 5: by Shea (new)

Shea | 1 comments My first book was wind-up bird chronicle. I became very interested in the way he writes and history he discusses in that book. Then I read Norwegian wood which I thought was a very nice story and interesting type for him as there is no fantasy realism. I recently read 1Q84 and found myself completely absorbed by the story. I love a good long book and this story was so beautiful and had such mystery. Big fan!

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Fry | 1 comments My first book was The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and I have to say, I couldn't get enough. I was hooked from the beginning and could not put it down. It inspired me to run out and buy every book of his, and now I'm just about finished with 1Q84. I've read WUBC and Kafka On The Shore and I have to say that I loved both of them.

message 7: by Wickedgio (new)

Wickedgio My first one was Dance,Dance,Dance and I didn't understand it at all! I wouldn't say it's a good pick for a first Murakami... I kept on hearing so many great things about this author that I decided to give it another try. That was Kafka on the shore, entirely bought because of the title. What can I say, I loved it. I mean, just the idea of a runaway who hides in a library!!

message 8: by Pan (new)

Pan (Panshope) | 1 comments My first was 1Q84, a surreal, wonderful experience. From then I've worked my way through his entire fiction series to date,

message 9: by Monica (new)

Monica (lilspydermunkey) | 1 comments Mine was Kafka on the Shore. There was (and is) something about the writing that just pulled me in and I was hooked. I love how he incorporates food and classical music into his novels- two of my favorite things. I have yet to meet a Murakami novel I didn't like

message 10: by Lukasz (new)

Lukasz (distanceluke) | 2 comments My first was Wind Up Bird Chronicle - it was amazing to me how "simple" his language was - short, concise, direct sentences which penetrate very deeply. I've been delving through his other works since.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex | 1 comments My first was Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World and it remains my favorite. There were many scenes in which Murakami slipped me out of this world and into a place I couldn't identify.

Nakamura Reality

message 12: by Anesa (new)

Anesa (alohanesa) | 1 comments my first book was norwegian wood and it was magical, the ending left me feels empty. i still re-reads the books once in a while.

the following months i got my self a copy of kafka on the shore and loving all his books since then.