What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. 1990s Silhouette Intrigue books - disabled agent

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Viv (last edited Aug 28, 2010 02:34PM) (new)

Viv (vixenbib) | 9 comments No idea of title or author. They were Silhouette INTRIGUE, I think - the blue-y purple ones? I can't remember exactly when I read them but I would have bought them second-hand in a charity/thrift shop. Possibly, mid-to-late 1990s - but it may have been later. Two books, linked by some of the same characters, working in some kind of Intelligence Enforcement Agency.

The first book (or possibly the second?) centres on two agents, heroine and hero, who've been working together for years, very tough and experienced, obviously care deeply about each other, flirt, but have never got around to getting it on... I think he has Commmitment Issues. On the day they finally openly admit they have the hots for each other, he gets shot in a bungled raid/mission, nearly dies, survives with a (possibly permanent?) disability, becoming a wheel-chair user. (Not ALL on the same day, obviously.) (In the second book - or possibly the first! - he's (back) at work. I can't remember if he's in a wheel-chair in both books. I know I read these books in the wrong order and I have, undoubtedly, confused the details.) He becomes very depressed. Heroine works hard to convince him that he's still worthy of her love - there's a scene where she insinuates herself onto his lap whilst he's in the wheelchair. Meanwhile lots of thriller-type action to solve whatever case they were working on, at the time he was shot. VERY intense.

The second book (possibly the first!) is about another agent in the same agency, who falls in love with a woman he's been assigned to protect - a Baddy is trying to kill her. I don't remember many details about this story. I think the hero in this one moves into her apartment to offer her Complete Protection from the Baddy. Again, very intense.

Thanks for any help you can give.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Viv--was the second book you're asking about possibly with a N.A. hero? And the heroine was either N.A. or Hispanic?

message 3: by Viv (new)

Viv (vixenbib) | 9 comments Hi Ann. It's possible. I'm afraid I don't remember any details about the second one - I just thought, as the stories were linked, that it might help someone identify the first one!

message 4: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 72 comments The imprint is Harlequin Intrigue. Sounds like a series by either Julie Miller or Debra Webb. Webb has a series called "The Colby Agency" and Miller's books often feature policemen, firemen or PIs. I have a lot of books by both, but - unfortauntely - they are packed away right now. Both women have written wounded heroes and heroines, so they're probably a good place to start.

message 5: by Viv (new)

Viv (vixenbib) | 9 comments Thanks Heather. I'll check them out.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Whew, thanks for that Heather--I kind of looked around a little bit and couldn't find the book I was thinking about for the second book the OP had listed. Not sure, but I might have given it away--which usually means that my daughter had seen it and carried it off to either read herself or to pass on to one of her many, many, many friends who read.

message 7: by Heather L (last edited Aug 29, 2010 08:09PM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 72 comments Viv -- Could this possibly be one of the books for which you are searching?

SUDDEN ENGAGEMENT by Julie Miller

With blazing blue eyes and beckoning broad shoulders, Brett Taylor was irresistible to most women. But Detective Ginny Rafferty wasn't about to succumb to his potent charm. The lady cop had learned early about love and betrayal, and buried her feelings beneath her badge. So the last thing she wanted was to pose as the brawny neighborhood hero's adoring fiancée, especially since she went weak in the knees every time he came too close. However, they had each lost a loved one to the killer they hunted, and Ginny needed Brett's connections to catch the perpetrator. Except she knew better than anyone that this sudden engagement could endanger her heart--and her life. But some things were worth the risk.

message 8: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 72 comments Ohh! Here's the other one I was thinking of (thank you, Amazon, for providing full descriptions that were unavailable at GR!):

IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE by Julie Miller

The mysterious explosion at the crime lab had cost one man his life, and had pitched Mac Taylor into perpetual darkness. Now, as the evidence mounted against the temporarily dismissed forensic expert, one person had dedicated herself to proving his innocence: the former girl-next-door, Julia Dalton. Before long, Mac's predicament had them racing against time and running for their lives, a life Mac could no longer imagine without the experienced nurse by his side. Suddenly Mac was seeing more with his heart than he ever had with his eyes....

message 9: by Viv (new)

Viv (vixenbib) | 9 comments Hi Heather. Thanks for responding. I had a look through Julie Miller's backlist on FictionDB and none of the descriptions matched my memories of the books! Neither one of the two you've come up with sound quite right but I really appreciate your, and Ann's, suggestions... keep 'em coming! Thanks.

message 10: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 72 comments Well, darn - it was worth a shot! If I get a chance sometime this weekend, I'll see if I can get to my bin of Intrigues, most of which are from about 1990 to 2005.

message 11: by Viv (new)

Viv (vixenbib) | 9 comments Ooooo! thank you so much!

message 12: by Bettina (new)

Bettina | 8 comments hi, did you find the book you were looking for? i´m interested in the books too, they sound really interesting.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Viv, are you still looking for this book?

message 14: by Serendi (new)

Serendi The description reminds me of some books by Justine Davis aka Justine Dare and possibly other names. Don't remember them well enough to be sure, or to come up with book names. As Davis, she does have some novels in the earlier 1990s.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Viv, are you still looking for this book?"

No response; moved to Abandoned.