The Flashman Club discussion

Main > The Flashman Papers in Chronological Order

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

1) Flashman: 1839-1842. the First Anglo-Afghan War.

2) Flashman's Lady: 1843-1845. Madagascar.

3) Flashman and the Mountain of Light: 1845-46. The First Anglo-Sikh War.

4) Royal Flash: 1847-1848. the Revolutions of 1848.

5) Flash for Freedom!: 1848-1849. The Atlantic slave trade; the Underground Railroad.

6) Flashman and the Redskins Part I: 1849-1850, The Wild West: the Forty-Niners.

7) Flashman at the Charge: 1854-1855. The Crimean War; the Charge of the Light Brigade.

8) Flashman in the Great Game: 1856-1858. The Indian Mutiny.

9) Flashman and the Angel of the Lord: 1858-1859. the Harper's Ferry Raid.

10) Flashman and the Dragon: 1860. the Peking Expedition.

11) Flashman on the March: 1868. British invasion of Abyssinia to rescue hostages.

12) Flashman and the Redskins Part II: 1875-1876. the Battle of the Little Bighorn.

13) Flashman and the Tiger, The Road to Charing Cross: 1877-1878. The Congress of Berlin; Emperor Franz Josef.

The Subtleties of Baccarat: 1890-1891. Edward VII; the Royal Baccarat Scandal.

Flashman and the Tiger 1879, 1894. The Zulu War.

message 2: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments I have them ready! Are we starting in October??

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely....also found out that Bybee is a huge Flashman reader, so I'm trying to get her over here. Misfit found me another in the series the other day at a used bookstore outside Seattle.....I'm addicted.

message 4: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments I saw some interest in your comments, it will be fun to have some more of us! I put "Bicoastal Book Club" under the graphic you made when I posted it...we'll be the only ones with the ability to meet in Chicago, though! Yeah, we have that same series ocd problem. I have had these books for years, collecting as I went. You would think I would read the first one to see if I liked it and wanted to waste my money on the rest...that would have required rational thought and I have NONE when it comes to books!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Jack (Mr RR) just commented on that the other day when I came home triumphantly bearing yet another Flashman book.

Jack: "I take it you liked the first one."
Me: "Um, haven't read it yet."

long pause

Jack: "Seriously? Why are you buying all of them if you don't even know if you like the books yet?"
Me: "Because it's a series. Duh."

ha

message 6: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments Heeheehee! :) It is so comforting to know that I'm not alone...

message 7: by Susan (last edited Sep 02, 2010 05:16AM) (new)

Susan Bybee (Bybee) | 1 comments Bybee here...present and accounted for! I've managed to convert at least 6 friends, family members and coworkers into Flashy fans over the summer! Passed the first book to #7 this morning.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Bybee wrote: "Bybee here...present and accounted for! I've managed to convert at least 6 friends, family members and coworkers into Flashy fans over the summer! Passed the first book to #7 this morning."

LOL - so glad you're here! You will be our Flashman Guru. Now our job is to convert the world! (evil laugh)

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Barton | 1 comments As soon as I saw that there was a Flashman club I HAD to join. They are the best series I have ever read. So funny, informative and expertly written.

I'm re-reading the entire series at the moment. I've never had so little sleep for such an extended period of time!

message 10: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments Michele and I have read the first two, Flashman and Royal Flash. Flash for Freedom is next up, I think.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Flash for Freedom it is....yay!

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments Hello Flashers!

Have recently discovered Flashman & the other books by GMF. Have read Flashman & Royal Flash so far - what larks?! Fantastic. Royal made me re-read The Prisoner of Zenda - GMF's version of events is far better!!!

His Quartered Safe Out Here is also an excellent read & I will also be delving into The Complete McAuslan: All the Hilarious McAuslan Stories in One Volume in the not too distant future.

Anyway, back to Flashy. It seems quiet on here, are you still alive? Are you all in the US (I'm in the UK)? :D

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Strey! Yes, we're quiet....lol....probably because Carey and I got bogged down with about fifty million other books that we needed to write reviews for and haven't caught up to Flashy. But we're planning on starting the next in the series, Flashman's Lady soon....what say you? :)

Carey is on the east coast of the US and I am on the west coast, so it's only appropriate that we have a UK representative reading along!

message 14: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments Michele wrote: "Hi Strey! Yes, we're quiet....lol....probably because Carey and I got bogged down with about fifty million other books that we needed to write reviews for and haven't caught up to Flashy. But we'..."

Hi Michele! I say Yeah!

Always trying to catch up on other reading, so haven't done a Flashy for a bit - so it must be about time to spice things up & whadya know that is the very next GMF on my list!

Currently wading through a Rutherfurd (in fairness thoroughly enjoying it, but they are so big - in size & scope). But say the word...

Thanks for the welcome. It's great to find a small kernel of Flashman fans existing on Goodreads...and I have family in Oregon if that helps!!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely understand the Rutherford muddling....I just finished Sarum not too long ago. Great book, but whew, it was a chunkster. I'll zap Carey an email and tell her Flashy is up next. Say the word
When you've finished Rutherford and we'll give it a go. So glad you found us...we needed new life breathed in around here!

message 16: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments Michele wrote: "I completely understand the Rutherford muddling....I just finished Sarum not too long ago. Great book, but whew, it was a chunkster. I'll zap Carey an email and tell her Flashy is up next. Say the ..."

Roger that! How about making it a 'Book of the Month' read for June? May have done Rutherfurd by then (at current pace!) and I'm in a field camping for a month at the end of May/start of June...is that still called 'camping' stateside...with a tent (but probably no phone signal!).

I'm sure there are a few 'lurkers' that may join us...come out of the woodwork said lurkers...let's breathe that life in!

Yeah! Good news.

message 17: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 17 comments Hi Strey! June is great for me, Michele will confirm that I am forever behind in my reading...advance planning definitely helps!

Which Rutherfurd are you reading? He is a favorite of mine.

message 18: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments Carey wrote: "Hi Strey! June is great for me, Michele will confirm that I am forever behind in my reading...advance planning definitely helps!

Which Rutherfurd are you reading? He is a favorite of mine."

Hi Carey! I'm reading "The Forest".

Recently getting into a bit if historical fiction & have an interest in the river Thames & London history, so got a copy of "London".

Checked what else he'd written. Used to know spend a lot of happy time in the New Forest & as it's shorter than London, thought I'd read that first to see how I got on & reminisce a bit.

Managed to get a US 1st Edition hardback really cheap, so the deal was done! Loving it so far, so I guess Mr Rutherfurd will become one of my favourite authors (sorry...favorite!)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm liking this June book of the month thing....count me in. :)

message 20: by Matt (new)

Matt (riverranger) | 23 comments Michele wrote: "I'm liking this June book of the month thing....count me in. :)"

Well Madam Moderator...is it worth a new thread if we might make it a regular thing (?) & hopefully encourage a few lurkers to peep out from the (book) covers...

Not sure how though & for now I've a small boy to separate from his Nintendo for bed time...ooh, I'm SOOO looking forward to that!!

Ciao. {:D)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll take a look and do exactly that in a few hours when I can get off the iPhone and on to a real computer. :)

message 22: by Conor (new)

Conor | 11 comments I'm doing a chronological read through at the moment, mostly 'cos I've never done it that way before.

Restricting myself to a book a month, so it will take a year. I've just finished Flashman's Lady. Love the Borneo bits but Madagascar drags a little.

Hoping for a few new insights, especially with the middle books which follow on very close to each other chronologically.