The Strain discussion

On to Book 2.....

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It was waiting for me when I got home last night!

message 2: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments OMG! I am so behind! Tell me you aren't done already? I'm on page 71. Got totally sidetracked today when Mr. Fedex brought me a copy of The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker (Penguin)...unasked for...I was laughing so hard by page 7 I couldn't see to read. Mark (Mr. TT) comes by and makes me read some to him...he's dying laughing too. Then he says that I have to send it to you when I'm done, he thinks you'll like it. He reads your blog and loves your sense of humor (I do too!) Plus I got my first two Amazon Vine books...yay, very exciting. Anyway, cutting into my reading time...going back to it RIGHT NOW, I swear!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Nothing to worry about here....at page 71 I think you're ahead of me already, LOL. I got sidetracked, too....with a very old 80's romance book (WTH? I never read romances) that had me laughing my butt off. You'll have to let me know what you got from Vine!!!!!

message 4: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments I was so excited....I got Our Tragic Universe by Scarlett Thomas and The Tower, The Zoo and the Tortoise by Julia Stuart. Both books I REALLY wanted. I think Julia Stuart's first book, The Matchmaker of Perigord, was my first Library Thing ER win, I really loved it. What did you get besides The Fall?

What is the old 80's romance? Inquiring minds want to know!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

oooh, good ones! I got Tatiana de Rosnay's lastest (she of Sarah's Key fame last year) and an audio book by Mary Roach (Packing for Mars) that is hysterical.

80s romance = Jude Deveraux's Knight in Shining Armor....have you read it? If not, find it for .50 in a used book store and take it on your next trip....it's fabulously funny.

message 6: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments Is is supposed to be funny or just so bad that it is?? I've never read a Jude Deveraux book.

Green with jealousy over your Packing for Mars! Really wanted that at BEA and did not end up with one. I saw the CSPAN Book TV interview with her, I think it was last weekend...she was hilarious.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh no, it's meant to be funny and boy howdy, is it ever. The Packing for Mars is on audio CDs, so if you'd like, I'd be happy to send you the CDs. :)

message 8: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments I was just today scouring my bookshelves for more books on cd...I'm in the car so much and I've gotten totally addicted to listening to books! I would love to listen to Mars if you don't mind sending it! I'll send it back when I'm done!

Zap me your mailing address too so I can send you Revolution!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

No worries I don't need it back....good heavens, I've got too much sitting around here as is, lol.

So I've been a very bad reader today....think I accomplished about 5 pages of The Fall. But here's a question: at the first of the book they talk about all the aircraft around the world landing "dark." I still don't get this. Even in the first book, I understand how they all died on board, but why on earth would the plane be totally shut down? Makes no sense, unless the vampires interrupt electrical activity, but I don't remember reading that....am I missing something?

email heading your way....

message 10: by Carey (last edited Sep 03, 2010 07:48AM) (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments I don't think you are missing anything, I don't remember them ever explaining that... They only explained how he kept all the pax sitting in their seats when they finally revealed that The Master can "paralyze" people with his mind at the beginning of book 2. Now that you mention it, it takes a little bit of doing to turn off an a/c, yes? It's not like you just flip a switch. That electrical activity interruption is an interesting idea. As far as the other aircraft, I assumed that they had other vampires aboard. But I kind of got the feeling that the psychic paralyzing thing was a speciality of The Master. He couldn't have been on all those planes himself. And don't vampires have to be "inivited" to cross water? You're right, this is an area that is either completely screwed up (like their aviation data!) or part of a yet to be revealed plot twist? Maybe?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Plot twist....has to be. Like using the subways to get under the water and off of Manhattan. As Fet says: one very big loophole. :)

message 12: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments Ok, picking up and starting to get really good. I love Gus...he's such an unlikely "good guy". On page 180.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I was soooo ticked at Eph when he missed Palmer......good grief!

message 14: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments Gave him something to think about though, didn't he? The whole nuclear reactor thing is creeping me out, that has got to be a giant piece of the puzzle. One thing that is annoying me...I can't see the employees of either a power plant or an auction house like Southebys just turning up for work as usual when the rest of the city is in chaos, I don't think anything would be running normally or even close to it.

Poor Nora.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Nora's decision was heartbreaking...it's a shame they didn't do more with her than just make her the "babysitter." She has so much potential.

message 16: by Carey (last edited Sep 06, 2010 03:13PM) (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments I agree. Maybe book three? We can hope! But I thought that after the first book, too.