Oprah's Book Club at Goodreads discussion

Book Discussions > Book Nominations & Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 218 comments Mod
I wanted to get ideas and suggestions from everyone for what we should read next. We have books selected through October. After that, we don't have anything to read! My goal is to have at least one book a month to read. I also thought it would be fun to go back and read past Oprah Book Club selections that some members haven't read yet. But I want to hear everyone's ideas about what to read and how they would like this book club to run.

message 2: by Bxrlover (new)

Bxrlover I just finished one of hers called Fall On Your Knees by Ann Marie MacDonald. It was wonderful and would make for great book club discussions.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 66 comments That would be great. It's one that I never read.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm adding it right now.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

I just got an email saying that Oprah will announce a new selection on September 17. I'll add it when it's announced. Any guesses what it will be? I'm guessing Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

message 6: by Bxrlover (new)

Bxrlover Jessica wrote: "I just got an email saying that Oprah will announce a new selection on September 17. I'll add it when it's announced. Any guesses what it will be? I'm guessing Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and ..."

Can't wait to read that one.

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Mabry (shmabry) | 9 comments Fall On Your Knees sounds good to me. I look forward to being more involved in the discussions.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 66 comments I went to get Fall On Your Knees from the library and when I read the blurb, I realized that I already read it. I hope that Oprah suggests something this month that I haven't read yet.

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Mabry (shmabry) | 9 comments Anything is good for me then.

message 10: by Dhitri (new)

Dhitri I just stumbled across reviews on David Grossman's latest novel "To The End of The Land" which tells the epic saga of a family living in Israel 1967-2000. The reviews are all glowing, they say the characters are solid and that the politics of the era is presented in a rich and complex, non-binary way. Another attraction is that the story is told mainly from the viewpoint of a mother. I got myself an ebook version and was wondering if anyone also plans to read it in the near future.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

I've never heard of it, but it sounds good. Did you want to read it as a group?

message 12: by Dhitri (new)

Dhitri Jessica wrote: "I've never heard of it, but it sounds good. Did you want to read it as a group?"

That would be great! Here are links to some of the glowing reviews I mentioned:

The Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ent...

The Economist
http://www.economist.com/node/1703650...

The NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/boo...

I read the prologue to the book (well, it felt more like a first chapter) and found it intriguing, difficult to put down :)

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Dhitri, I added To the End of the Land to read for December. Would you be the discussion leader for it? You would just get the conversation flowing if it gets stuck. I read the NY Times review and it sounds really good. Can't wait to read it!

message 14: by Dhitri (new)

Dhitri Jessica wrote: "Dhitri, I added To the End of the Land to read for December. Would you be the discussion leader for it? You would just get the conversation flowing if it gets stuck. I read the NY..."

Sure, please PM me if you have any tips for me :) Thanks!

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda (llsbooks) | 13 comments As we approach the first anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti, I would like to recommend the author Edwidge Danticat, who is a Haitian-American. She has received a MacArthur "genius grant" within the last 5 years. I would recommend, "Brother, I'm Dying". This is a memoir centered on her uncle, who remained in Haiti while her parents moved to the US. She was left behind for several years after her parents' move and was cared for by her Uncle Joseph, the subject of this memoir. I've read all of Danticat's books, several of them more than once. Her books will always stay on my shelves. The suburb I work in picked her book "Krik Krak" for a community read this last spring after the earthquake.

Another book, actually recommended by Danticat, is "Love, Anger, Madness" by Marie Vieux-Chauvet. It was recently translated from the French. This is an exquisitely beautiful trilogy of life in Haiti from the time of US colonization in the early 1900's. I feel it will help immensely in one's understanding of the incredible agony Haitians have lived with for over 100 years. In my opinion, this is a book worthy of much wider recognition.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

We read one of her books recently and it was really good. It was Breath, Eyes, Memory. She was a great writer and the story really stuck with me. Have you read that one as well? What did you think?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to look up "Love, Anger, Madness" right now.....

message 17: by Dhitri (new)

Dhitri Lisa wrote: "As we approach the first anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti, I would like to recommend the author Edwidge Danticat, who is a Haitian-American. She has received a MacArthur "genius grant" withi..."

Thank you for these wonderful suggestions! I have reserved the two titles from my local lib and can't wait to get started on them as soon as possible. Read the reviews and all of them glowing, especially the reviews on goodreads.com on Danticat's memoir.

If I'm not mistaken Danticat's "Breath, Eyes and Memory" was one of Oprah book club picks, too?

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda (llsbooks) | 13 comments Jessica wrote: "We read one of her books recently and it was really good. It was Breath, Eyes, Memory. She was a great writer and the story really stuck with me. Have you read that one as well? What did you th..."

Jessica - I've read all of Danticat's books, several more than once. Her story as well as the stories of the others she writes about really stick with me. I did not realize the group has read Breath, Eyes, Memory. I'm now going to look at the list of all of books read by the group. I'm new to online groups.

Thank you for the comments.

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Breath, Eyes, Memory was an Oprah pick and the thread is still open if you want to leave any comments. The nice thing about online groups is that the discussion is never really over. As new people join and read the books we have read, they can add their comments and keep the discussion going.

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Hello everyone! We need more book nominations for the next year. I'm going to set up a poll to see how everyone would like to pick the books we read as a club. So far, if someone has suggested it, we've read it but I'd like to get more people involved. If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment!

message 21: by Jessica (new)

I also posted another poll. I'm curious to know what books everyone would like to read. Do you want to read only Oprah selections, books she mentions on her show or suggestions from members?

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Don't forget to vote on our two polls before the end of the year!

message 23: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) | 162 comments Mod
We've had several women put in a plug on another thread for Gavin DeBecker's book that Oprah has mentioned on her show, The Gift of Fear.

I've been away from Goodreads and the computer in general for a few months, so I didn't see this thread. Is it alright with everyone if we do that book for March?

message 24: by Sandysconnected (new)

Sandysconnected | 5 comments Lets not give up on this group, I'm all for a book for March!

message 25: by Dhitri (new)

Dhitri I'm skipping this book for March, but I'm all for reading whatever you choose for April! Let's keep this group alive and thanks Jess for putting that poll out :)

message 26: by Dianna (new)

Dianna (scrappergal) | 1 comments I'd like to recommend "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"
by Rebecca Skloot.

message 27: by Cindy (last edited Sep 18, 2011 02:35PM) (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 1 comments My book group at the Library read The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabelle Wilkerson and found it fascinating. This aspect of American history was not studied when I was in school and we had a great and thnoughtful discussion.

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Thomas-price (aleapoffaith68) | 4 comments You Can Choose To Be Happy, M. Thomas-Price

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Thanks for the nomination, Melanie. You can write it in on the poll right now (click on the polls page). If it doesn't get chosen, I'll add it to next quarter's voting.

message 30: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Thomas-price (aleapoffaith68) | 4 comments Thanks Jessica!

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I have been reading Open House. I can relate to what the main character is going through, so it is somewhat theraputic. But it is a far cry from my favorites from Oprah's selections.

message 32: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Mabry (shmabry) | 9 comments Sorry everyone...get me updated. What is the Feb book and I assume March is open??? I tried to get caught up on all the posts but was unable to. Do we have a list for 2010?

message 33: by Jessica (new)

The books we are reading for this month are Where the Heart Is and Awaken Your Power. They are on the homepage of this group under where it says "Currently reading". Next month's books are Daughter of Fortune and Rin Tin Tin. We pick three months of books by voting in polls on this group. We are going to vote next month for the books we will read in April, May and June. We usually read one book from Oprah's official book club and a newer one that is usually mentioned on Oprah's website or magazine. If you want to see books that we have read in the past, just click "bookshelf" on the right hand side of our group homepage and then the shelf that says "read".

I hope that answers your questions! If not, don't hesitate to ask in the forums or even email me.

message 34: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Mabry (shmabry) | 9 comments Thanks

message 35: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielovegagen) I am currently reading The Sisters by Nancy Jenson. Two and a half chapters in, I'm totally hooked! Thought it might be a good suggestion for this group..

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen Zacharias (karenzach) | 7 comments Historical fiction Man in the Blue Moon by Michael Morris who is being compared to Flannery O'Connor. Endorsed by Pat Conroy. A really terrific, thought-provoking read.

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen Zacharias (karenzach) | 7 comments Also, if you have not yet read Ann Hite's terrific novel Ghost on Black Mountain, you are missing out. One of my favorites from this year so far.

message 38: by Joe (new)

Joe Greenaway (joegreenaway) | 1 comments I just read Seat of The Soul by Gary Zukav, one of Oprah's favourite books and it really changed the way I see life. It would be a great one to read

message 39: by Linda (new)

Linda LaMona (lindalamona) | 2 comments Currently reading A Light Between Two Oceans.

message 40: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2 comments I read the most amazing book in ages- it's called 'I am HER...' By Sarah Ann Walker and it absolutely stunned me. I cannot rave enough about this book. It was so heavy, and dark, and tragic and yet beautiful, that I found myself absolutely stunned by the depth of emotion I felt for the characters. It is getting excellent reviews and once you read it, you'll understand why. It is amazing!

message 41: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna (rdchandler) Hi... Can you point me in the right direction for suggested reading through October....

Ty

message 42: by Jessica (new)

Hey Ty. If you scroll down on the homepage of our group it shows all the upcoming reads. We vote for the books we'll read every three months so we only have books scheduled until June. Hope this helps!