The Sword and Laser discussion

Finished Mockingjay (no spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments So I just finished Mockingjay anyone else read it? I don't want to spoil in case nobody has it yet but I will say one thing: Damn is it harsh!

message 2: by Hope (new)

Hope (littlehope) | 82 comments Oh yeah, I finished it the day it came out!

Heck yeah it was harsh!!!!

message 3: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments *raises hand*

I finished. I loved it. Thought it was a great conclusion to the trilogy. And yes, it certainly was "harsh". The series has always been violent and dark, but this one takes the cake by far. It lures you in with its brightly colored, hopeful cover and then as soon as you open it, BAM! Despair punches you right in the face.

It was fantastic, though. One of my new favorite books.

message 4: by Aeryn98 (new)

Aeryn98 | 175 comments I just finished now. Came right here to see if anyone was talking about it yet. I cried at the end! Why her?!!! It's hard to talk about without the spoilers. Even though it made me cry I did like the ending.

message 5: by Nate Frary (new)

Nate Frary | 19 comments I quite enjoyed the book and the whole series for that matter. I thought she deftly dealt with some mature themes and the psychological aftermath of war.

message 6: by Ricky (new)

Ricky Bates | 14 comments Finished it in a day. Dark, brutal and haunting. I loved it.

message 7: by Hope (new)

Hope (littlehope) | 82 comments Don't kill me anyone but did anyone think it was the weakest in the trilogy?

Don't get me wrong, I loved it! I just didn't love it as much as the first two...

message 8: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments Hope wrote: "Don't kill me anyone but did anyone think it was the weakest in the trilogy?

Don't get me wrong, I loved it! I just didn't love it as much as the first two..."

Why is that? I thought it was the strongest of the three.

message 9: by Hope (new)

Hope (littlehope) | 82 comments I think what I liked so much about the first two books was the hunger games itself, while I'm glad the third book doesn't have it (that would have been over kill) I felt like there was not as much action in this one unlike the other two.

There were some other things as well but I don't have time to type them out right now...

message 10: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments It definitely felt different than the other two without the games (though they do make an appearnce in an unexpected way, which I thought was cool). And I do agree that there was less action, but I think that the action that was there was much bigger in scope and had a lot more meaning behind it.

I see your point though, and I'm glad you enjoyed it regardless.

message 11: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4118 comments I was choked up at the end, too. Definitely a brutal book. I read most of it today (after starting yesterday afternoon), still trying to figure out my feelings on the series as a whole. I liked them but wow was it not what I expected.

message 12: by Adam (last edited Sep 21, 2010 06:31AM) (new)

Adam (jademason) | 23 comments I finished the series recently and really enjoyed it. One of my favorite stories is Stephen King's short story "The Long Walk", which The Hunger Games series bears a striking resemblance to in a number of ways. The gender swap for the roles of Peeta and Katniss appeals to me in that I'm glad my daughter will have a story to read with a strong, intelligent, female lead.

** Potential SPOILERS Ahead **

I thought there was a potential parallel between the characters in the book and members of a dysfunctional family from the eyes of a child.

President Snow - Father figure. Uninterested in his children or his new, arm-trophy wife.
The Capital - Step-mom. Pretty and obnoxious, but mostly harmless.
President Coin - Mother. Divorced from father, bitter, and seeking revenge for discarding her. Also uninterested in the children except as far as they assist her in her revenge.
The Districts - The children. Some favored more than others, but none loved.
The Hunger Games - Nightly family dinner where father incites in-fighting among the children for his own entertainment. Step-mom plays along but doesn't really get it.

I was trying to find a message here...what I should take away from the story as the author's perspective. What was your take?

message 13: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments Adam wrote: "The gender swap for the roles of Peeta and Katniss appeals to me in that I'm glad my daughter will have a story to read with a strong, intelligent, female lead."

That was one of the most appealing aspects of the books to me. I hate reading books with female leads who only whine and complain, especially in YA literature (ex. Uglies). Even worse, though, are the books that try and pretend to be about female empowerment (ex. Dragonsong). It was nice to read about a girl who really was strong and capable for a change.