Love Inspired Books discussion

Author Interviews > Inside Dana Corbit's writing world

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 1035 comments Mod
Wedding Cake Wishes by Corbit, Dana

1. What are some things you enjoy doing in your free time?

Free time? Could you define that for me? But seriously, most of my nonworking hours are spent chasing our three girls around to their practices and activities, and I wouldn't have it any other way. You'll find me at JV and high school soccer games, club soccer games and club swim meets. I'm on the board of our local athletic boosters organization, so I'm at games even when the girls aren't playing. All three girls are also singers, so I like to go to choir performances, and I'm always a volunteer mom when the choirs go to competition. When there's a free moment, my husband and I like to go out for a quiet coffee together, so we can put together our plan of attack for the next day.

2. How do you balance real life with writing life?

I'm definitely not an expert on balancing my time. I try to fit in everything. But I do follow some general rules. I write when my children are at school - even go to a coffee shop so I know that it's writing time - and I stop when school is over. I also write whenever I'm waiting for someone at practice. I try to waste as little time as possible. Of course, when I'm on deadline, all schedules go out the window. My family members have learned to fend for themselves and even bring me a plate of food now and then so I don't starve.

3.. What are some of your favorite books and authors?

I still think my all-time favorite book is Little Women. You can't beat Louisa May Alcott. But I also have favorites in several genres. Two of my favorite single-title books are "The Exclusive" and "Envy," both by Sandra Brown. I love suspense books by Mary Higgins-Clark and family dramas by Jodi Picoult. I love western romances by Ruth Langan, paranormals by Nancy Gideon and young adult romances by Jennifer Echols and Simone Elkeles. Okay, you caught me. I love to read almost as much as I love to write.

4. Which of these have had the biggest impact on you and why?

I think all of them have had an impact on me. Storytellers are like sponges when we read. We absorb the characters, the settings and the plots. They become a part of who we are as writers. I read in part to grow as a writer, so I want to learn from those writers whose stories speak to me.

5. What is the biggest challenge you've faced as an author?

Balancing writing and family is always the toughest thing for me. I always feel as if I'm failing at one or the other of these two things that are both very important to me. I have to say, though, that family is and will always be the top priority. God entrusted us with these three great children, and it is important to me to be as involved in their lives as they will let me be, even after they're grown and on their own.

6. What writing organizations do you belong to, and what value have you gotten from them?

I am a member of Romance Writers of America and two local chapters, Greater Detroit RWA and Mid-Michigan RWA. I am also a member of American Christian Fiction Writers. I have been most active in RWA and have learned much about writing romance from that involvement. I've also made many lifelong friends who share my need to tell stories.

7. What is the most difficult part of the writing process for you?

The middle of the book is the toughest part for me. During every book I complain to my neighbors that I hate my story and hate my characters. They have learned to give me words of encouragement and send me back to the book because I wade through and like again by the end. I also struggle with plotting sometimes. I usually create these cool characters and wonder what I'm going to do with them.

8. What is the most enjoyable part of the writing process for you?

I love when a story is new. This is my favorite time. No one else has touched it. It's still all mine, and these people are growing and changing in my head. All things are still possible at this point.

9. Are you a plotter or pantser?

A plotter. I like to have my story planned out before I write. That's why I write a detailed synopsis. I want to know how things come together. I still have some surprises along the way, but I want to have mapped out my path before I begin.

10. How has writing for Love Inspired impacted you personally?

I have loved writing for Love Inspired. I have written 13 books for this company and have just contracted a new one. The editors have helped me to grow as a writer and encouraged me to stretch myself. It has been a great experience.

Dana Corbit

message 2: by Abbie (new)

Abbie (weatherlover1) | 11 comments I really enjoyed the Wedding Bell Blessings Series!