Chicagoland Vampires discussion

Let's talk about the series > Gabriel's Premonition

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Naoms (new)

Naoms (naomsbookgeekdavis) I'm new to the series, but I was rereading it the other day (yes, already! I'm addicted what can i say?). I'm not sure if you guys have talked about this already, but in Gabriel's vision that he shows Merit in "Twice Bitten" does that mean he sees his son with Merit's son? He shows her eyes like Ethan's, but not. Have they brought up in the books at all whether vampires can reproduce? She was so shaken by it and refused to talk about it, I wondered if she saw a child... I mean I guess that if vamps could reproduce there would have been am mention of children, but only Malik seems to be married and we don't know anything about him...

message 2: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) | 28 comments hi, Naomi - no, vamps cannot have children. Merit thinks about this briefly in SGB, i believe, when she realizes that the ability to have children has been taken away from her. i wonder, though, if b/c Merit's change was different, and she seems to be special, if she might be some exception to the rule down the line. i definitely looked at that vision as thinking that the child in the vision was Ethan's and Merit's. probably just wishful thinking on my part.

message 3: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 487 comments Mod
yea. i really wanna knoe what gab's premonition mean. b/c of course vamps cant have children. but like what if something special wit ethan and merit happens which has to do wit this premonition. i want to knoe more about this.

message 4: by Naoms (new)

Naoms (naomsbookgeekdavis) Leigh wrote: "hi, Naomi - no, vamps cannot have children. Merit thinks about this briefly in SGB, i believe, when she realizes that the ability to have children has been taken away from her. i wonder, though, ..."

Yea you're right, I forgot about that. Whatever happens, if she figures out how to give them a child I hope it's not completely stupid like in Twilight.

I just think it's a kid.I really do, because it deals directly with Gabe's child.... ugh but Merit will be around when Gabe's child is older...who knows.

message 5: by new_user (new)

new_user You know what, I always thought "Ethan's eyes but not" just meant that he was a changed man. :)

message 6: by Hana (new)

Hana | 24 comments new_user wrote: "You know what, I always thought "Ethan's eyes but not" just meant that he was a changed man. :)"

That prob sounds right but from when i first read it, i always thought that the everything and noting part was a child

message 7: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) | 28 comments new_user wrote: "You know what, I always thought "Ethan's eyes but not" just meant that he was a changed man. :)"

oh, that's a good idea, NU...

message 8: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 14 comments Leigh wrote: "hi, Naomi - no, vamps cannot have children. Merit thinks about this briefly in SGB, i believe, when she realizes that the ability to have children has been taken away from her. i wonder, though, ..."

I hope so aswell :)

message 9: by Naoms (new)

Naoms (naomsbookgeekdavis) This is the passage....

"No story lines, no dates,
but I saw enough, including the eyes of his child, and another set of green eyes, eyes that looked nothing—and everything—like Ethan’s. I had no way of knowing how powerful, how accurate, a shifter’s visions were . . . but it packed a punch."

I dunno, you guys.It could be a changed Ethan, but she's seen him different from his normal self, so I doubt it's him.

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user Maybe he has a long lost son. Dun dun dun. LOL. ;)

message 11: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 14 comments new_user wrote: "Maybe he has a long lost son. Dun dun dun. LOL. ;)"

Maybe Ethan has a brother??

message 12: by Mariya (new)

Crystal wrote: "new_user wrote: "Maybe he has a long lost son. Dun dun dun. LOL. ;)"

Maybe Ethan has a brother??"

not unless its one he does not knoe of b/c he said in twice bitten that he had 3 sisters.

message 13: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 14 comments awww damn.... hmm how could i forget that!!! I will need to re read before hard bitten comes out!!! :)

message 14: by Hana (new)

Hana | 24 comments Mariya wrote: "Crystal wrote: "new_user wrote: "Maybe he has a long lost son. Dun dun dun. LOL. ;)"

Maybe Ethan has a brother??"

not unless its one he does not knoe of b/c he said in twice bitten that he ha..."

Yh thats true, and none of them turned vamp so it couldn't be them...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

could be that ethan has a cousin or brother. some one related to him, doesnt necessarily have to be a kid. maybe one of his sisters survived (I forgot what happened to them)

message 16: by Mariya (new)

he doesnt have a brother.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

hey, not everyone knows for certain who their families are...

message 18: by Mariya (new)

but its more of a possiblility of guessing wit wht we knoe he has then guessing he may have a brother out there somewhere, b/c if we knoe rite now he doesnt have a brother, high chance he doesnt' and i dont think neil would just throw that it. i think there is more to gabriel's premonition then we would probally guess. thats wht i think anyway.

message 19: by Meredith Barrons (new)

Meredith Barrons | 280 comments Mod
That passage is going to drive me nuts. I am leaning towards the meaning that Ethan is a changed man. I can't see her bringing a long lost child or brother into it. I really don't think I could take another "twilight" type surprise where the vampires can miraculously have kids. Although Merit is a special kind of vampire so who knows?

message 20: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 19 comments Didn't Merit sleep with Ethan befor she was fully changed? Maybe her ability to have children wasn't taken until she had fully changed over?

message 21: by Mariya (new)

no they didnt sleep together until the third book. and all that happen wit her being fully changed was in friday night bites, book 2.

message 22: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 19 comments Oh darn. . . I thought I was onto something

message 23: by Hana (new)

Hana | 24 comments ஐAndreaஐ wrote: "Oh darn. . . I thought I was onto something"

Lol, u never know, she is something special...

message 24: by Mariya (new)

it all depends wht happens in the following books.

message 25: by valee (new)

valee I would love it if she could get pregnant! I love when children come to books. It makes the story much better IMHO.

message 26: by Faye (new)

Faye (fayegerarldine) | 35 comments that would be a very interesting twist but morgan already told merit that she can't have children..about gabriel's premonition, do you think that it somehow tells us that ethan and merit would make their negotiations with the pack solid and done then? after what adam did..

message 27: by valee (new)

valee Talking about the series only makes me want to read book 3 even more! I hate waiting!

message 28: by Mariya (new)

you mean book 4!

message 29: by valee (new)

valee yep sorry about that.

message 30: by Marie (new)

Marie oh come on! I would like nothing more than merit and ethan having a child but let's be realistic here! it's probably that ethan's mother is a vampire or something and that they meet! but let's just entertain the idea for a moment of a vampire child... now, I suppose since vampire don't really have a beating heart (correct me if I'm wrong) then the blood doesn't flow so it's safe to assume that she doesn't mentruate... so let's say she DOES get pregnant somehow it would be fun to see how she discovers it! she begans to vomit and people speculate of anorexia or poisoning ect... :P she get's really tired and they blame it on sex during the day (it was mentioned in the books). her boobs get bigger and they probably won't see it (except ethan but he would probably be too happy to question it). increse sex drive... well that doesn't need an excuse. Merit always eat anything so the strange cravings would be ignored. they probably wouldn't see it until she would seem to have gain weight since it's impossible as a vampire.

message 31: by Marie (new)

Marie After Merit wakes up from her complete change, Ethan tells her that they knew she would be powerful but he is still impressed (or something like that) and that he seems to be lost in a memory as he stares at the wall. Also, we never learned why he was in that park that night and how he knew where to look. I think he got a premonition (from gabriel or a sorcerer) that told him something about her that night. maybe something about her" being the key" since it seems to be mentioned in every premonition or prophecy of every fantasy book out there. maybe it was even linked to gabriel's premonition... I just wanted to mention it but I'M probably wrong and delusional. I just like the idea.

message 32: by Leona (new)

Leona | 7 comments I agree that the possibility of a vampire child isn't high. However, from the way things have been presented so far in the books it isn't impossible. The vamps in the CV books are "alive." It's a relative term of course, but they have heartbeats, bleed, etc. They're changed at the genetic level so that there is a requirement for blood, there is super strength and healing, etc. I don't think Chloe has gone that much into vampire physiology (but more so than some other authors). I think it would be extremely interesting to read about her detailing their biology though and the interaction of biology and magic in the CV world.

message 33: by Marie (new)

Marie oh yeah! I forgot about the magic! when there's THAT you can't rule a vamp baby out. of course, they always had magic and they didn't have babies anyway so merit has to be special. maybe because she kept so much of her humanity? and it's true that their blood flows or they wouldn't bleed when they are hurt. I wonder when menopose is suppose to be for them, humph....

message 34: by Mariya (new)

I think every vampire is different in every author's books b/c the author has a different idea, but they stick to the basic of the vampries, but one rule I hope they don't break is the baby rule. I mean it is kinda unrealstic and I don't really see it happening, but if it does happen I hope it is realistic enough for me to enjoy reading about it, though I hope it doesn't happen, b/c it kinda breaks the vamprie rules.

like I have only seen it done in twilight and, well, let's just say BD was my least favorite book of the series. I liked the first half but not the secon half of the book. It seems so HEA. Like I need these two have a great HEA so I'm gonna through a baby into the mix.

message 35: by Leona (new)

Leona | 7 comments My only vampire rule is that they have to ingest blood by some means. Other than that, I'm okay with however an author wants to develop their vampire physiology/magic. I still don't think a CV-land vampire baby is likely though.

I agree about the baby thing in Breaking Dawn being a let down overall. My favorite part of that book was the part Jacob narrated. I don't have anything against vampires having children in general, but it was not a welcome development for me in that storyline.

message 36: by Mariya (new)

I'm okay if it's done in a way that is realistic or maybe I'm just thinking way too much into twilight since I didn't like how BD was turned out.

message 37: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bekeown) | 17 comments Alright, total shot in the dark, but what about Merit's sister's child? I don't have the book to hand, but I remember there being a fairly heavy discussion between Merit and her sister about Merit's responsibilities once her sister dies. Granted, I have no clue how the kid would get eyes like Ethan, but it would explain how she gets a young child without the pregnancy aspect...

message 38: by UKSandy (new)

UKSandy | 2 comments I've just recently finished the first 3 books and I can't get Gabe's vision out of my mind, can't wait to find out what it's all about :)

message 39: by Rose (new)

Rose (RooAndresen) | 4 comments mmm I don't think it's the offspring of Merit and Ethan, vamps can't have babies. Neither a lost brother of Ethan.

Merit said "eyes that looked nothing -and everything- like Ethan's" It seems to me that those eyes actually Are Ethan's, but he's changed in some way. Not that he's is going to turn human, duh. But Maybe more human, more sensitive? Maybe Ethan and Merit will protect Connor together?

message 40: by Cher (new)

Cher I had a thoery about Gab's vision. What if he's showing her that in the future, Merit will be involved with his unborn son "Connor". That vision isn't good if it's correct because it isn't Ethan, Morgan or anyone else with her except Connor. Hoping I'm really, really wrong.

message 41: by Lafofolle (new)

Lafofolle | 4 comments hello everybody !! :)
here is my theory => Vampires can't have children but Merit is special.I think there must be some kind of prophecy about a vampire who is going to bore a child (refering to Marie's post about Ethan being lost in memory).
Gab keep saying in TB that he will own a favor to Merit while staring at his wife's belly and just as he explain to his people that she will save HIS child, he show her a vision of his son AND a pare of eyes(...)who must be related to her if he show HER the vision so to me it's clear : 1)Merit and Etan will have a child conected to Gab'son (friend or more..?
2)Someone related to Ethan by blood will be conected to Connor

I know it sound "twilight" but I hope for number 1 ^^

message 42: by Marie (new)

Marie I have a new theory that is more realistic even if I hate it. Merit will save gabriel's son from Ethan (who's eyes are not quite the same because she sees him differently)and in that way become a "member of the family".

message 43: by ஐAndreaஐ (last edited Mar 31, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 19 comments Wow, I can't way for the next book!! only a month to go :)

@Marie - I think your onto something. . .

Or maybe she'll end up having to take care of her sister's baby & raise her together, and Ethen will show a new side of himself and she'll see him differently.

"No story lines, no dates,
but I saw enough, including the eyes of his child, and another set of green eyes, eyes that looked nothing—and everything—like Ethan’s. I had no way of knowing how powerful, how accurate, a shifter’s visions were . . . but it packed a punch."

message 44: by Marie (last edited Apr 06, 2011 06:16PM) (new)

Marie I really hate that there isn't more details than that about the premonition.

I always find it weird when vampires get babies in books because it kind of screw with the general idea of being a vampire. the way I see it, the immortal part was made to compensate for not being able to have children. like vampires traded their potential children's lives for an eternal one for themselves. That sound worse than I meant to, like a lamb sacrifice.

message 45: by Cassie (last edited Feb 01, 2012 09:08PM) (new)

Cassie (boocluvr) | 8 comments Ok now...with the newer book out (DD) and we know that Ethan is back....maybe the whole process with Mal has changed his eyes....or after he comes back he is not totally the same and Merit sees him differently...

message 46: by Marie (new)

Marie from what I understood, she doesn't see him differently at all. she's still crazy about him. but maybe , and I say that with great reluctance, the process changed him and he's now under mallory's (or someone else's) control. maybe he will end up trying to kill gabriel's son and merit will have to stop him(kill him). maybe he'll just betray everyone. I would absolutly hate that but it's the kind of sucky outrageous thing that always happen in books and leaves us outrage and heartbroken.

message 47: by S.G. (new)

S.G. G. Dean (sgdean2014) | 1 comments The whole 'Ethan's a changed man' explanation sounds good, but its too pat. Since when has Chloe Neil gone for the easy path? With Ethan's change/return in book 5, he's become truly unique. Catcher had said in book 1 that magic is all about will. What does Mal know about vampires other than Merit, the furthest from the vampire norm as you can get? It's possible Merit never lost her ability to have children, but wouldn't have any way of knowing it until she gets pregnant.

The only one she's slept with since her change was Ethan. It takes two fertile genetically compatible beings to have a child. They couldn't have children before the whole death thing because Ethan came from normal vampire stock. He doesn't anymore. Ethan was remade in Mallory's image, which means adjustments were made whether beneficial or detrimental. Mallory's only template was Merit. There's every chance Ethan is more like Merit now than he's like other (lesser) vamps.

message 48: by TWiser (new)

TWiser got a weird feeling it's Amit Patel.

message 49: by Piper (new)

Piper Love Sam's take on this!

message 50: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 03, 2013 01:01PM) (new)

Elizabeth | 11 comments OMG Samantha you stole my idea :)
My first thought was that merit is going to save Gabriel's son with Ethan's help so that why Gabriel is in debt with her. I also think somethig is going to happen to Gabriel so Merit and Ethan will have relevance in the baby's life.My second thought is exactly what you wrote samantha and has nothing to do with baby demon twilight.

Girls, you can check Chloe's Pinterest when she repin images that inspires her to write the books, where you can find this picture...
What do you think?? Baby Ethan??

Photobucket

« previous 1