SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > Take 2

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I hope everyone knows about take 2! If you don't, go here:
https://www.take2.co.za

Has anyone noticed how their books are extremely cheap these days?

I put about a 100 books on my wishlist there and they are all around R50-R70! And these are new books and best sellers we are talking about!

Maybe you guys should have a look :)

message 2: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Thanks for the heads up... Much appreciated!

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith How does Take2 compare with Book Depository in terms of price and availability? I don't often buy bestsellers or the latest books, so I'm just wondering which would be the better site to use.

message 4: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2445 comments Mod
It depends on which types of books you purchase. Hardbacks seem to be much cheaper at Bookdepository. Paperbacks are also cheaper, but less so. Bookdepository seem to generally have PBs at between R40 - R65, with the higher limit including some new releases.

The killer for me is postage. If you add postage Bookdepository works out cheaper still. Best would be to compare prices of some books you want to buy on a one to one basis.

Also remember to factor in a 2.5% foreign exchange conversion fee if you pay by CC at Bookdepository.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks Crusader :) I hadn't thought of the conversion fee. Mostly I want to buy some sci fi I haven't been able to find in-store here, plus one or two academic books. I also prefer to get hardbacks, when I can afford them.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Did a quick comparison - Book Depository seems mostly cheaper, or about the same. And the 2.5% conversion fee will, in most cases, come to a lot less than Take2's delivery fee.

message 7: by Crusader (new)

With academic books there should be a huge difference. For my astronomy books Bookdepository was about half the price.

message 8: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I can order a whole extra book if I order with bookdepository. But sometimes I wanna order a dvd with, so Take2 works then :)

message 9: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) | 270 comments I have decided that ordering books online is the way to go! :D

message 10: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I'm kind of disappointed in take2 for changing their shipping rates. Most of the time I only buy 1 book, so the R70 postage feels like I have to pay for two books instead of one.

message 11: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Yea that is silly! Bookdepository is the way to go then!

message 12: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Free shipping from Take2 on orders placed on 14 February 2011! A chance to talk yourself into getting just that one more book (or two or three).

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Does that count for DVDs too? I have enough books. Or rather, no more space.

message 14: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Nice!

message 15: by Crusader (new)

Lauren wrote: "Does that count for DVDs too? I have enough books. Or rather, no more space."

Yeah, it seems to be an offer valid for ALL orders except pre-orders placed on the 14th, so DVD's should be included.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Great, thanks!

message 17: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Take2 has changed their name to TAKEALOT.
To celebrate they are offering free shipping on your first order with TAKEALOT. Deal ends Tuesday, 28th of June 2011 at 11:59 PM.
www.takealot.com

message 18: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Oooh thanks!

message 19: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Free shipping on all orders unil and December!
www.takealot.com

message 20: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
How I love Take2!

message 21: by Crusader (new)

Especially good now the Rand has done a nosedive.

message 22: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Yea its a big problem :( We do business with overseas :(

message 23: by Simplicitycoza (new)

Simplicitycoza | 2 comments Hi All, we are building up a book section on our website. Do any of you have suggestions what you would like to see? See link here: http://www.simplicity.co.za/Books/c88...

message 24: by Crusader (new)

Simplicitycoza wrote: "Hi All, we are building up a book section on our website. Do any of you have suggestions what you would like to see? See link here: http://www.simplicity.co.za/Books/c88..."

A fiction section is definitely a must. Most leisure readers read fiction.

message 25: by Simplicitycoza (new)

Simplicitycoza | 2 comments Crusader wrote: "Simplicitycoza wrote: "Hi All, we are building up a book section on our website. Do any of you have suggestions what you would like to see? See link here: http://www.simplicity.co.za/Books/c88......"

Thanks