Grand River Prep Reads! discussion

Mudbound

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arica (new)

Arica Muthmann | 2 comments Mudbound

I thought this book was very engaging and page turning. Even though I kind of didn't get the beginning and I thought it was very boring I forced myself to read it and I'm glad I did. It has a lot of drama, romance and some action.
The way Hilary made this story was, each chapter was told by a different character. For example one chapter would be a wife's point of view and then another chapter would be her husband's. This way made me want to read more and see what each character thought. They told there own version of each part of the book. This book is set in the 1940's. It's about a woman named Laura who gets married and moves to a farm. The story is told from two african american workers, their son, Laura and her husband, and Laura's husband's brother. Laura used to live in the busy city of Memphis but then moved to a small suburb town. I thought this was a very interesting plot on how Laura talks about how she hates the country and different events that happen in just a small town. Hilary did a very good job at doing her research in the 1940's. She described the cars, the buildings, the clothes and lots of information about the war. The ending I have to say was the best part. It's one of those books where you have to read the WHOLE thing to understand it. I finally understood the beginning until the end. If I told you I would give away some good parts of the story. When I was done with the book I had to sit there and think about the whole thing again like a movie in my head. (This book would be a VERY good movie).
I would definitely recommend this book BUT to mature people only. I felt like this book was WAY to adult for me. Let's just say if this book became a movie it probably would be Rated-R. I was actually surprised that this book would be school appropriate. But back to the point I would highly recommend this book. Even though it is historical fiction it does not matter. It is an excellent book. It's very emotional, graphic, and serious.
I did have some questions in the beginning of the book but now that I read the whole thing I now understand it. To me this book was very clear about things. (To me) So therefore I have no questions.

Annalise Venhuizen Kontras (annalisevkontras) | 22 comments Mod
Arica, Thank you for a great review. You did point out that you have to be "mature" to read this book. I could tell that you learned a lot from reading the book.