Hunger Games Trilogy discussion

Un-Related Randomness > Books like The Hunger Games?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 223 (223 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Myopic (new)

Myopic | 15 comments Can anyone think of any other books that are like The Hunger Games?

If you can, please could you post the name, the author and why it's like The Hunger Games.

I'll give mine: The Long Walk by Stephen King
It's about 100 teens who have to keep walking above 4 mph till all except one are dead. Like THG there's alot of deaths and some likeable characters, maybe not as gripping but definitely worth a read for anyone who liked the whole idea of a game where one person has to try and survive...

message 2: by nicki (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments there is one that is almost exactly like it... I think it is set in Japan. I cant remember the name, but if I fins it, I will post it. also lord of the flies, or the Gone series are pretty much the same topic.

message 3: by Briaq (new)

Briaq  (briaq) Hmmm...books like the Hunger Games...The Giver and...hmmm, there was one like it, what was it called...there's a scene in Warriors: The Darkest Hour that is like the Hunger Games...Yes, the Giver is the only one I can think of.

message 4: by Myopic (new)

Myopic | 15 comments @nicki I'm reading Gone now! How is The Lord of the Files like THG? Cos I started reading it and didn't like it, maybe I just didn't get far enough...

@Brookreed By Wariors: The Darkest Hour do you mean that series about cats, like Fire and Ice and Into the Wild?

What's The Giver about?

message 5: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 275 comments The Maze Runner is kinda like the Hunger Games, in that kids are left to fend for themselves, but They're both brilliant in different ways. Gone is great too.

message 6: by TeAndrea (new)

TeAndrea (scarletescape) | 12 comments Gone is awesome

message 7: by TeAndrea (new)

TeAndrea (scarletescape) | 12 comments Myopic wrote: "@nicki I'm reading Gone now! How is The Lord of the Files like THG? Cos I started reading it and didn't like it, maybe I just didn't get far enough...

@Brookreed By Wariors: The Darkest Hour do ..."

The giver is about the future where everything is controlled. They are different villages but they stay to themselves. The Main Character, Jonah, lives in a village where sameness is practiced. That is when everything is the same. Everyone has the same birthday, and depending on your age group you get a new stage of life. When you turn twelve you get a job that you will have until you are an elder. the leaders pick your job for you based on what you've portrayed before "the birthday". Jonah is picked to be the reciever who recieves memories of the world before the village came to arise and before sameness. He is allowed to lie because he is not allowed to tell what he is learned in training. But the knowledge doesn't always sit right and the book tells about how he deals with the memories

message 8: by Anika (new)

Anika | 329 comments Lost in my Radio wrote: "Gone is awesome"

I love the Gone series!! They rock :)

message 9: by Briaq (new)

Briaq  (briaq) Yup! *nodnod*

message 10: by Anika (new)

Anika | 329 comments Whoa!

message 11: by Anika (new)

Anika | 329 comments I put it on my to-read list.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'll second The Maze Runner (first in a trilogy, with book 2 released in October). It has similar elements.

1. Teens are placed into a glade with their memory wiped and struggle to find their way out by venturing into the maze that borders their glade. Instead of fighting each other, they're fighting against hybrid machine/beast creations.

2. They're being observed from the outside by the Maze "creators." (similar to being observed in the games)

The Gone series is another good recommendation, but the writing style is quite a bit different than Collins' style, so it takes a few chapters to get into.

message 13: by Anika (new)

Anika | 329 comments I also have that on my to-read list lol :P

message 14: by Jed (new)

Jed (specklebang) It's NOT like THG but the feeling and future setting are similar. The lead character is also a "flawed" teen and it was the series that made me a YA fan:
The Uglies Trilogy

message 15: by Jed (new)

Jed (specklebang) I'll second some of the recommendations:
Gone
Unwind
The Maze Runner

Really excellent books.

message 16: by Bailey (new)

Bailey (baileylynn) | 1 comments The maze Runner is a lot like The Hunger Games, it's absolutely amazing. The Uglies series is kind of like it too.

message 17: by nicki (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments ♪Yue~Epically Random Weirdo~ wrote: "nicki wrote: "there is one that is almost exactly like it... I think it is set in Japan. I cant remember the name, but if I fins it, I will post it. also lord of the flies, or the Gone series are p..."

yeah.. thats it. it isnt really that clean, I kinda got sick of reading cuss words constantly so I havent finished it.

Maze runner ROCKS! cant wait for the next book. unwind is really good to, its a weird read.

and lord of the flies is like the same thing... kids left to themselves who start to kill eachothe off. I am doing a school paper camparing HG and LoF.

and yes, I love the Gone series too!!1 =)

message 18: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi (joit) | 74 comments I've watched Battle Royale the movie, it's good but violent

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I've seen the movie too. It's like Hunger Games without all of the character storyline. Cheesy, violent, interesting, but definitely lacking the depth of HG.

message 20: by nicki (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments Barbara ,wise crouton chopper wrote: "the gone series is my nex series im gonna read after i finish MJ then the uglies after gone then the percy jackson and the olympians"

percy jackson was good... kinda a low reading level. I did NOT like Red Pyrimid... it was really boring.

message 21: by Luna (new)

Luna  (goodreadscombird) | 2 comments what's the gone series about

message 22: by Jed (new)

Jed (specklebang) I have a series that is of the same quality as THG and has its similarities. Despite the publication dates, this is the order to read these in.

I can not recommend these too highly. Brilliant, exciting, far future steampunk/sci-fi/adventure. A really great writer. Phillip Reeve...
Philip Reeve

Fever Crumb
A Web of Air
Mortal Engines
Predator's Gold
Infernal Devices
A Darkling Plain

message 23: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 275 comments Luna - Nobody's Princess wrote: "what's the gone series about"
Every person over the age of 15 disappears and the kids are trapped in their home town, which gets nicknamed the FAZE, and have to learn to cope without adults and survive, as well as deal with the fact that some of them seem to have gained weird powers.
It's the first in a six part series, it's really good.
I LOVED Red Pyramid, and Percy Jackson. The Uglies series is okay, I liked Uglies, Pretties was Okay, loved Zane hough. Haven't bothered to read the rest.

message 24: by Anika (new)

Anika | 329 comments I can't wait for "Plague" (Gone #4)!!!!

message 25: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 275 comments I can't even get Hunger (Gone #2) yet! :(

message 26: by nicki (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments Anika wrote: "I can't wait for "Plague" (Gone #4)!!!!"

there are a lot of gone books tho... i was looking up the author (he is a goodreads author) and there was at least like 5 names. so are they all out yet or has he just named them? (after plague there is number 5 and I know 6 is called light. )

message 27: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 275 comments It's Gone, Hunger, Lies, Plague, Darkness, Light as far as I know.

message 28: by nicki (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments right! thank you. so if plague isnt out yet, than how come the names for the books are already out? that dosent really make sense.

message 29: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 275 comments I read them on the website, I think it was the authors, but he's finished Darkness and is starting to write Light, and they'll all be released within the next two years I think.

message 30: by Faith (new)

Faith (itsmefaith) | 106 comments i am Number 4... I wanna read it it looks really good. That and I wanna read the maze runner???

message 31: by nicki (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments YES! the maze runner is really good. cant wait for the next one. its kinda like HG in its own way...

message 32: by Summer (new)

Summer | 508 comments I think anything I could think of is already posted. Does anyone have any updates on the Scortch Trials per chance?

message 33: by Christine (new)

Christine Unwind sounds like Kazuo Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go" (soon to be released as movie with Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan).

The Hunger Games sounds like "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"

Both of these (similar storylines) novels are not happy or uplifting however, so if you're looking for something to make you feel hopeful (or at least held in suspense), I can't recommend them. They're not YA books.

message 34: by Anika (new)

Anika | 329 comments nicki wrote: "right! thank you. so if plague isnt out yet, than how come the names for the books are already out? that dosent really make sense."

well don't they do that for other books too :)

message 35: by nicki (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments not that often. like ive heard of the next books title, but 2 books later?

message 36: by Jed (new)

Jed (specklebang) Due in October. I'm very excited. I relly like Maze Runner and it is THG similar...sort of.

Summer wrote: "I think anything I could think of is already posted. Does anyone have any updates on the Scortch Trials per chance?"

message 37: by TeAndrea (new)

TeAndrea (scarletescape) | 12 comments Mairead wrote: "It's Gone, Hunger, Lies, Plague, Darkness, Light as far as I know."

wow I only knew up to plague

message 38: by TeAndrea (new)

TeAndrea (scarletescape) | 12 comments Fahrenheit 451 is kinda like The Hunger Games

message 39: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 275 comments Lost in my Radio wrote: "Fahrenheit 451 is kinda like The Hunger Games"

I want to read that. Is it good?

message 40: by nicki (last edited Sep 03, 2010 05:31AM) (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments it is really confusing. like you have to read it kinda slowly cause the author jumps in and out of thoughts and the actual storyline... kind of like he was out of it when he wrote it. but its good. there is a movie too...

also I just remembered... there is a book called girl in the arena which is sorta like the hunger games, but i really didnt like it. It got really boring.

message 41: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 275 comments And how could we forget 1984 by George Orwell?!

message 42: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (absurdlynerdygirl) | 173 comments Is that good? What's it like?

message 43: by nicki (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments have you read the mortal instruments series? they arnt like HG, but they were really good.

message 44: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 275 comments TMI, si amazing, as is CA, the prequel. 1984 is prety cool, kinda atmospheric. It's about a totalitarian dictatorship and it's kinda the shizz!

message 45: by nicki (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments I havent read CA yet... is 1984 on goodreads? I couldnt find it last time I checked..

message 46: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 275 comments Just look up George Orwell.
CA is ri-donk-ulously good!

message 47: by nicki (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments lol.. yeah I have it on my to read list. and thanks.. I found the GO book.

message 48: by Gabry (new)

Gabry (gabyhd) nicki wrote: "it is really confusing. like you have to read it kinda slowly cause the author jumps in and out of thoughts and the actual storyline... kind of like he was out of it when he wrote it. but its good...."

Girl in The Arena right?

message 49: by Anika (new)

Anika | 329 comments I heard that was a bad book....

message 50: by nicki (new)

nicki moeller (teamgale) | 66 comments no, I was talking about feranheit 451 (yes, I know I spelled that wrong)
but I started readng girl in the arena, and I didnt like it. its really boring.

« previous 1 3 4 5