Reading with Tequila Book Club discussion

Book/Movie Discussions > Vampire Academy: General Discussion NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jesicu) This is the place to discuss the book in general. No spoilers allowed. Please use the spoiler post to discuss anything that applies.

If you'd like to discuss a specific aspect of the book, please feel free to start a new thread.

message 2: by Sherri (new)

Sherri I picked up book from the liberty today! now I just need to make time for the actual reading!

message 3: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (kaitortot) | 18 comments I just finished! It was a very quick read :)

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckypellowe) | 2 comments Oops, missed that this was the choosen book! Will download to my kindle and get 'er read right away!

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily WilowRaven (wilowraven) | 4 comments I've only read a few pages but I'm loving it so far! :)

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckypellowe) | 2 comments Hmm, I'm a bit into it, and find it a bit elementary, but hoping it gets better... there's the first little spark between Rose and the Guy that is training her after school. Older, stronger man... hmmm, let's see where this leads.. It's keeping me reading, anyhow!

message 7: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (kaitortot) | 18 comments Becky wrote: "Hmm, I'm a bit into it, and find it a bit elementary, but hoping it gets better... there's the first little spark between Rose and the Guy that is training her after school. Older, stronger man......"

I agree--I have a feeling the later books will get a bit better!

message 8: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 5 comments Becky wrote: "Hmm, I'm a bit into it, and find it a bit elementary, but hoping it gets better... there's the first little spark between Rose and the Guy that is training her after school. Older, stronger man......"

Although elementary, it is a fast read and, as you get further in, the story gets stronger.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Potts (lisampotts) | 8 comments Just picked it up from the library (someone else had it checked out until now, how dare them!).

Already half way through it and looking forward to discussing.

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie Just finished it tonight and I would rate it 3 1/2 stars, even though I am not a big fan of YA books. I liked it a lot. Rose is one tough teen!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Potts (lisampotts) | 8 comments I finished it last night too, Julie. I would probably give it 3 stars and I LOVE YA. I will probably read the rest in the series and I hope Rose is featured throughout. IMO she was the best part of the book(besides Dimitri).

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie I am definitely going to get the second book in the series. Looking at reviews for it, people seem to like that one better than the first. First books sometimes get a bad rap though because they have to dedicate so much time to setting the stage.....

And yes, Dimitri was kinda hot....

message 13: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (kaitortot) | 18 comments Dimitri was pretty hot :)

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Potts (lisampotts) | 8 comments Uh...yeah. Totally yummy.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie Okay, but to get away from the hotness--didn't you like the fact that Rose was a strong, independent female character? Even though she was a teen, she was really tough. It was nice to read a female teen that wasn't obsessed with whether or not the guy loved her (well, not too much anyway).....

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I wavered between a 3 and a 4, but ended up giving it a 4, simply because most of my 3 star ratings are usually books that are just a hair better than "ok." The book wasn't as "great" as everyone kept saying it would be, but it was a good read.

It was decent enough that I will continue to read on in the series.

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie I rated it a 3 1/2 on my blog

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Potts (lisampotts) | 8 comments Julie, I loved the fact that Rose was a strong character. I hate books where the MC lets everything happen TO her and can't make decisions for herself (Bella, I'm talking about you sweetie). And in the end she put her responsibility ahead of everything else which fit her character beautifully.

message 19: by TheGeekyBlogger (new)

TheGeekyBlogger This is one of those series where each book got better (at least to me) except book 4 was about the same as book 1 for me. Either way really neat world to escape too!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Julie wrote: "Okay, but to get away from the hotness--didn't you like the fact that Rose was a strong, independent female character? Even though she was a teen, she was really tough. It was nice to read a fema..."

I liked that she was stacked. One of my growing pet peeves with YA is that most of the heroines are scrawny and are built like little boys. I get that a lot of females can relate to the awkward thing (and many develop late in life or not at all), but it is so overdone. It's nice to see a heroine that is hot and knows she's hot.

When I was in high school, I was of average weight, but I had curves, so it's nice to see an author "get it" that not every single 16/17 year old girl is built like a boy.

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie Good point, Stacia! I also think that some of Rose's confidence came from her good looks.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen (teamsheltie) | 9 comments I just started the book today and I'm only on chapter 6 but I'm finding it a little slow and I'm not really connecting to either Rose or Lissa. I like them both but nothing is grabbing me yet. I'm hoping it will kick in for me soon.

message 23: by Julie (new)

Julie I thought it was a good start to a series--not mind blowing (it is YA), but a fun & easy read....

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 21 comments I'm up to Chapter 16 and I have to say I'm really liking this book. I'm surprised, because I was SO ready not to like it! I guess you never know until you try something.

I'm kind of liking Rose, but for a virgin she sure is slutty...LOL!

message 25: by Sherri (new)

Sherri I didn't expect much either from this book, although I do like Richelle Mead's Georgia Kincaid series.

Good solid read, nothing spectacular but I sure am a Dimitri fan also. I also like the evolution of Rose's character from a party girl to a responsible guardian. Liked it enough to pick up the next one.

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie I just bought the second one for my Nook. Hoping to read it next month in honor of Halloween!