Cozy Mysteries discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > New here, questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 289 (289 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori | 5 comments I joined this group because I do like mysteries but I'm still trying to get a feel for what is a "cozy". I'm thinking that a lot of the ones I like might not be so cozy. :-) Has anyone read the Benny Harper series by Earlene Fowler? Is that a cozy? How about the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear? I'm assuming that Faye Kellerman is not a cozy writer but Maggie Sefton is?

I'm really enjoying picking up new ideas about what to read! Thanks everyone (and especially Kelley for putting this on her Goodreads list so I could see it)!

Lori

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments The Benni Harper books are cozies....and probably my very favorite cozy series, with Susan Wittig Albert's China Bayles series being a very close second. I haven't read Maises Dobbs, but they are, too. Faye Kellerman's are not!

message 3: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (booknerd69) I got a shout out :) Thanks Lori! Earlene Fowler books are cozies and I have read a lot of them, but got burnt out on the series. I just started my first Maisie Dobbs book and so far I would think it was a cozy. Anything with graphic violence, harsh words, or sex scenes would not be considered cozies, in my opinion. And Maggie Sefton is a definite cozy. Most of what I read is considered cozies, so just check my lists :) Glad to see you posting on here! You're the one that got me to read Maisie Dobbs.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori | 5 comments What about the Victoria Thompson "Gaslight" series?

message 5: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Lori wrote: "What about the Victoria Thompson "Gaslight" series?"

Love that series. It also has the benefit of staying consistently good throughout, even the later books.

message 6: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (booknerd69) It's hard to say if the "Gaslight" series is a cozy...there are some elements that make me lean towards it being a cozy. Whatever the classification, it's a really good series and it's probably one of my favorites right now.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori (summerrain03) | 10 comments Some of the cozy authors I really enjoy are Cleo Coyles Coffeehouse mysteries and Rhys Bowens Molly Murphy mysteries,Nancy Athertons Aunt Dimity mysteries,Annette Blairs Vintage mysteries.

message 8: by John (new)

John Re: Cleo Coyle

Just wanted to inform (remind?) folks that she's the same writer as Alice Kimberly of the "Haunted Bookshop" series.

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments I like Tamar Myers her earlier books are good. Sue Grafton is a must read. Nancy Atherton Aunt Dimity books are cute. Nancy Fairchild, the Carolyn Blue series, Diane Mott Davidson, anything Agatha Christie, Kate Collins, all good reading material in my estimatiion.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) | 63 comments @Lori & @ John-
I love the coffeehouse mysteries too! I'm about to start the Holiday Grind after my current non-cozy read.
I'm originally from NJ so it makes me feel like I'm back in the city.
I also read the first Alice Kimberly book! It was actually hard to find in my local library system.

message 11: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Technically, both Alice Kimberly and Cleo Coyle are pen names of the husband and wife writing team Alice Alfonsi and Marc Cerasini. But I don't care what name they use for writing, I love both the Coffeehouse series and the Haunted Bookstore series. I'm hoping there'll be another one in the HB series soon since I just finished Roast Mortem (Coffeehouse Mystery, #9) by Cleo Coyle

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments Would Carla Neggers be considered a cozy read?

message 13: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 18212 comments Mod
Caroline: There's a new Haunted Bookstore due out in March 2011, The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller.

message 14: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 661 comments Thanks, Heather! I'll be eagerly awaiting it!

message 15: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Robin wrote: "Would Carla Neggers be considered a cozy read?"

She does several series, doesn't she? The one I've read is set in New Hampshire- I don't think it's a cozy because it seems to violent to me. I think she does an FBI series, but one of the "requirements" of a cozy is that the sleuth is an amateur. Although, I think we've had this discussion on another thread about how sometimes a book can be sort of considered a cozy even when it "violates" some of the rules. (Like the Hamish Macbeth series- he's a policeman, yet it still seems like a cozy.)

message 16: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "Would Carla Neggers be considered a cozy read?"

I love her books but I classify them as suspensful romances not cozy mysteries.

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments Yeah, I thought so. Thought I would ask, Thanks.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 369 comments I like several of the cozy authors that are mentioned in comments above..plus I enjoy cozies by Monica Ferris, Joanne Fluke and Miranda Bliss.
Happy Holidays everyone!

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments Happy Holidays, Melissa, or we say Mele Kalikimaka in Hawaii. It means Merry Christmas in Hawaiian.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 369 comments Mele Kalikimaka Robin! =)

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments Mahalo, Melissa, this means thank you in Hawaiian:)

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 369 comments Thank you Robin! =)

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments Sure anytime.

message 24: by Dian (new)

Dian Macnichol | 28 comments Mahalo Robin, it has been a long time since I have heard that. It brought back a lot of very fond memories. Especially this year as I look at about 8 in and snow and 14in more expected...Guess I will just dream :)

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments you are welcome, Dian. I know sometimes I want to be in snow too, but to see it from the inside, and looking at it outdoors.LOL

message 26: by Zoe (new)

Zoe I;ve heard Cozy described as several things. A strong Atmosphere was one desciption - but I've wandered across some that seem to have a strong atmosphere or setting but are violent. Someone else once told me anything where the murder happens "off camera". I actually even consider Janet Evanovich cozy, because of the strong atmosphere, and despite the occassional stalker/rapist, you know in your hear Stephanie, Lula, and Grandma are always going to be okay.

I just discovered the Maisie Dobbs series, and am so excited! Not only are there a bunch of them, but they;re available on Audio at my library, so I can listen and knit. Love it!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments I love cozies on audiobook Zoe.

message 28: by Donna (new)

Donna | 10 comments The Maisie Dobbs series is one of my favorites and I think a new one has just been released or will be soon.

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth | 616 comments Hi Zoe,
Cozy mysteries are also called traditional mysteries, and the main features are minimal violence, drug use, and foul-language and sex is off-screen. A good list of authors and books that are considered to be cozy/traditional mysteries are those that were nominated for or won the Best Novel or Best First Novel Agatha Awards each year (named for Agatha Christie). Here's the list:

http://www.malicedomestic.org/agathaa...

message 30: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 40 comments y question is what do we do here? i mena is it like a group book club thing or sumthing else?

message 31: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Cassa wrote: "y question is what do we do here? i mena is it like a group book club thing or sumthing else?"

We're a group of people who share an interest in and love of "cozy" type mysteries. Most of us also read other things, too, but this is primarily for talking about cozies.

message 32: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 40 comments k thanks

message 33: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 40 comments whats oyur definition of a cozzy mystery
?

AND COLD-EEZE COUGHDROPS TASTE DISUGSTING

message 34: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 18212 comments Mod
Cassa: Check out the following thread for the answer to your question:

What do you consider a cozy mystery?

message 35: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 40 comments oh thnx

message 36: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 40 comments has anyone ever read the bride collecter by ted dekker
or any other ted dekker books?

message 37: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Cassa, please ask that question in another thread. We have folders set up for favorite series, or looking for books. Folks aren't going to stop in here unless they have questions about the group.

message 38: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 40 comments ok sorry its just that there are so many threads it gets a little confusing, but it wasnt just for a favorite book, i was ondering if you would consider the bride collecter as a murder mystery?

anyway sorry

message 39: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Feb 16, 2011 02:26PM) (new)

It's okay Cassa. You'll learn your way around. Look first at the folder names, then at the individual thread names. That should narrow down where you need to look to find what you want. It's just not many folks will swing by this thread to see your post about the book. They'll find it in the threads that are for looking for books. I havn't read that book so don't know.

message 40: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 40 comments ok thanks extreamly helpfull person!!

message 41: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Your welcome.

message 42: by Karen (new)

Karen I feel really stupid, but have two questions. First I posted something in a wrong section and was told to move it to the introduction area which i thought I did, but still see the posting of just the title "Hi" still in the wrong spot. I do not know how to get it off there? (looks foolish)Then(and I am somewhat computer illiterate)but how do you put book cover images in with your posts like you all seem to know how to do. i seem to be missing out on a lot of the fun around here (scavenger hunt as example) by being slow in this area. appreciate any assistance in this.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Karen (no need to feel stupid, btw. I work in IT and found navigating this site less intuitive than most at first) -

I'm not sure about deleting the post - our moderator might have to do that, or, if you go into the post you might see a 'delete' option next to the 'reply'. That might work.

About the covers, when you click on 'add book/author' at the top of the comment box and search for a book title, there are two small options at the bottom of that search box - add: link cover, with buttons. Just choose "cover" than choose your book. :)

message 44: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) Can anyone start a thread and if so how?

message 45: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Feb 27, 2011 09:24PM) (new)

Karen wrote: "I feel really stupid, but have two questions. First I posted something in a wrong section and was told to move it to the introduction area which i thought I did, but still see the posting of just t..."

I asked you to move your introduction simply because if every person who joined our group started their own introduction thread (we have over 1,000 members) we'd have huge folders with countless threads. To simplfy it, we just have one thread where everyone introduces themselves and folks welcome you.

The only folks who can delete a thread is either a moderator, or the person who created it. You had deleted your post in that thread, but not the thread itself. I went back later and removed it.

message 46: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Deborah wrote: "Can anyone start a thread and if so how?"

Yes, anyone can start a thread. Find the folder that's most appropriate to what you want to talk about (I sometimes move a thread if there is a better place for it as folks would be more likely to look for it a different folder depending on your topic.) Click on the folder you want, and after it's open with a list of topic threads, look at the upper right corner where it says "New topic". Then create your own.

message 47: by Karen (new)

Karen Thanks for those that replied to my question on posting.

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen Now I have another question.I do read other mysteries than cozys, but prefer them because I do not like too much violence, cussing or sex and sometimes a book sound good on this site (outside group), but I cannot tell by reviews, nor have never read the author if i would enjoy the book. My library is so limited and I have seen these authors names. I saw one mentioned in an earlier post as cozy, but never would have thought Sue Grafton or Lisa Gardner was? Thoughts?

message 49: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Karen wrote: "Now I have another question.I do read other mysteries than cozys, but prefer them because I do not like too much violence, cussing or sex and sometimes a book sound good on this site (outside group..."

I would not call Sue Grafton cozy at all. Have never read Lisa Gardner so can't comment on her.

message 50: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Mar 12, 2011 10:33PM) (new)

Everyone's definition of what could be considered "cozy" may vary slightly. There is an entire thread dedicated to that exact question here in our group.

"What do you consider a cozy mystery"
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.