Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > Any popular titles you DON'T want to read, much less buy?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 162 (162 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
I was just wonder if there are any super popular titles currently out that even though it seems everyone else loves them SO much, you don't want to read them at all, much less buy them?

For me, I've just heard so many people gushing over Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series and Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series that I am just totally turned off, I have no interest in even trying them now. How about you? Got any like that?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) Twilight anything!! lol!!

I actually started to read the first Rick Riordan, but got distracted...it wasn't that bad!

haven't read Eat Pray Love yet that everyone has been raving about...its somewhere in the TBR, who knows when i'll get to it!

Petra is slightly on hiatus doing bookshop work (petra-x) Anything Stephenie Meyer, Rick Riordan, Mitch Albom, Nora Roberts, James Patterson... the list goes on. I did try Eat Pray Love but didn't get past the first page. However, Drink, Play, F@#k was, apart from the rather weak last chapter, really funny.

Joseph, maybe you should start a Listopia of popular books you don't want to read. I bet it would have endless contributions.

message 4: by Crystalmarie (new)

Crystalmarie (CrystalsNovels) Eat, Pray and love...i can do without. Also The girl with a dragon tatooe. Those seem to be forever boring, no matter how many reviews i read!

Petra is slightly on hiatus doing bookshop work (petra-x) I couldn't read the Dragon Tattoo either. Not that I tried very hard, because I don't like mysteries and thrillers at all. However, when I was in London I saw the Swedish film, Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. It was two and a half hours long and subtitled and gripping. The Girl herself is one of the best actresses ever, stunning and believable, a real feminist heroine (in a very, very bad way!) but unfortunately not a Hollywood star so, to suit mainstream audiences the film is being recast and cut to 90 mins. Sad. So don't think you would be bored by the film if you got a chance to see it.

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) I've gotten really tired of James Patterson, especially the Alex Cross series. Stephen King has never really appealed to me for some reason. Also I tend to stay away from stuff classified as "chick lit." Most of it that I've tried to read has seemed pretty silly.

Petra is slightly on hiatus doing bookshop work (petra-x) I started a Listopia list, "Popular titles you DON'T want to read, much less buy" (and credited Joseph for the idea).

message 8: by Joseph (last edited Aug 27, 2010 06:45PM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Petra X wrote: "I started a Listopia list, "Popular titles you DON'T want to read, much less buy" (and credited Joseph for the idea)."

lol, thanks Petra. To be honest, I never expected so many agreements so quickly to my question. :-)

Anyone who wants to add a vote to the list, just go here: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/67...

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sulovebug) | 13 comments I have no desire to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. My Mother-in-law read them and love it. She tried forcing me to read it but I just have no interest at all. I did see the Swedish version of the movie, it really turned me off.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber (bluebleeder) | 31 comments I've tried...really, I have...but I just don't get the appeal of Stephen King.

message 11: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) For some reason, I have no interest in Eat, Pray, Love. Or anything by Danielle Steele. Or, for no reason I know of, Sandra Brown.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jsills3) | 54 comments Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, Eat, Pray, Love, Danielle Steele and Nora Roberts. All popular,I know.

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (drakenfyre75) Anything from the Twilight Series or Stephanie Meyer

message 14: by Coqueline (new)

Coqueline I have loads of those!

I will not ever touch:
1. Twilight series
2. Christian fiction
3. Any chicklit type
4. Most popular thriller series/detectives
5. Any of Jane Austen's classics and those of similar vein (looking at you Brontes!)
6. Selp help/motivational books
7. Non fictions on politics, economics, the military, religion and business.
8. Fantasy and science fiction. I make exception for really good ones, but rarely.
9. Most celebrity biography (I would probably read one from Julie Andrew, but never in a million years from Miley Cyrus).

That might seem like a wide blanket of 'no', but even evading those, I'm still inundated with choice anyway.

I never wanted to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, but I was given the full box set for my birthday. Once I got through half the first book, I was hooked. The second book is actually the best of the bunch.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Harry Potter, Twilight, any other popular vampire books, self help motivation (i had one and hated it), Da Vinci series.

I've read a few popular books that everyone raves about and usually end up being more disappointed than overal happy. Like 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' series, I didn't enjoy it and was rather disappointed that I didn't. I've heard the other books are better but I don't want to spend the money on being disappointed.

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele | 70 comments Back when Opera was giving book suggestions, I tended to avoid her books (except when they were classics) like the plague. I don't want to read Water for Elephants, or The Help. They probably are good books, I'm just not interested right now. I joined a book group a few years back and hated every highly acclaimed book we read with the exception of To Kill a Mockingbird.

However, I have been pleasantly surprised at times. I resisted Harry Potter for years. I only read it because my 8-year old wanted to read it. I got thoroughly sucked in. I loved it. It was the best reading experience I have had in decades.

message 17: by Louise (last edited Mar 25, 2011 03:57AM) (new)

Louise | 280 comments Tolkien's The lord of the rings trilogy.
And since I play roleplaying games, read a lot etc people expect you to have read it. I got annoyed by all the hype, but actually started the first book, but it bored me, so I've not tried again, and I really don't want to.
I resisted reading the Millennium Trilogy for a long time (the one you call 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' series) but actually liked them (wonder if the English translation is as good as the Danish?)

Popular crime fiction I avoid, the Twillight books, a Danish writer called Jacob Ejersbo and most biographies, with exceptions like George Sand, Talleyrand and Chet Baker.

message 18: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Two words: Dan Brown. If his books and the Twilight series were the last books in the universe, I'd ... go read a cereal box.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

their are quite a few mostly all those YA ones that are being ade into movies at the moment and creating "twilight" like popularity why would you read anything remotely connected to twilight is beyond me.
other then that i hate authors who publish like 6 books a year i.e Danielle Steelor Jodi Picoult (granted i have read some of hers but they ended up all being very much the same and all very depressing) o and Bryce Courtenay and a few others

message 20: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I would myself much prefer a toothpaste box to a cereal box.... but either one would be better in a universe that only offered Dan Brown & the Twilight series.

Or maybe I'd just have to write some books myself then!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm glad someone else didn't like THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO and his other books..I wonder if certain books get so much press that people feel they "have" to like them or they're missing something..

message 22: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 71 comments I have to say I read the trilogy but will never again read The Lord of the Rings. It was too long, they talked way too much about walking and landscapes, and why did everyone need 2 or 3 names?

message 23: by Coqueline (last edited Mar 25, 2011 02:07PM) (new)

Coqueline I only saw the 3 movies of Lords of the Rings, being dragged by my boyfriends (yes, different boyfriends, since there was such a big time gap between each releases). That was 9 unenjoyable hours of my life I will never get back. So no, I will not try the book.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo can be a difficult book, understandably. I didn't want to read it, but once I did (because I had it lying around the house anyway, not because I need to prove something :P) I did struggle in the beginning. It was helped by the fact I read an article that the author based the Girl character on Pippi Longstocking. Once I read that, and could draw so many parallels between the two characters, the story and character development made much more sense, and I had more fun with it. But yeah, I can understand why some would just give up.

message 24: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbie_smith) | 43 comments Amber wrote: "I've tried...really, I have...but I just don't get the appeal of Stephen King."

I don't get him either. Many of my friends just love his work but I don't care for his books or movies, at least the ones I've tried.

message 25: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbie_smith) | 43 comments I felt the same way with Twilight. My daughter (not a reader)began reading it, because of a school requirement, and I read along to see what the hype was and how to respond to her reaction. It took about half of the first book and I was really impressed with the writing and the story.

Coqueline wrote: "I have loads of those!

I will not ever touch:
1. Twilight series
2. Christian fiction
3. Any chicklit type
4. Most popular thriller series/detectives
5. Any of Jane Austen's classics and those of ..."

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Debbie wrote: "Amber wrote: "I've tried...really, I have...but I just don't get the appeal of Stephen King."

I don't get him either. Many of my friends just love his work but I don't care for his books or movi..."

Debbie wrote: "Amber wrote: "I've tried...really, I have...but I just don't get the appeal of Stephen King."

I don't get him either. Many of my friends just love his work but I don't care for his books or movi..."

I enjoyed his earliest books and thought THE SHINING was good but the later books seemed that he was fulfilling his contractual demands ..you know the book every 6 months..A lot of writers seem to loose whatever they may have had in the beginning and just turn out "stuff"..I think John Grisham is an example..come on..Playing for Pizza?

message 27: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I feel the same way about King-I liked some of his early work a lot, including Carrie. And I think The Shining is a very well-written novel. But once he was churning them out, I lost all interest. I did like (in a kind of it-makes-me-feel-nauseous but I've-got-to-keep-reading kind of way Misery

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura Maryanne wrote: "I'm glad someone else didn't like THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO and his other books..I wonder if certain books get so much press that people feel they "have" to like them or they're missing somet..."
Interesting point about those books. Sometimes I think the hype of a book(s) makes others think they need to like it just cause everyone else does.

But I think it's silly to try and like something everyone elses and you clearly don't. Why bother making yourself like something that you strongly dislike.

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 97 comments Tracey wrote: "Two words: Dan Brown. If his books and the Twilight series were the last books in the universe, I'd ... go read a cereal box."

Brilliant!

message 30: by Christie (new)

Christie Stratos (christiestratos) I don't want to read most popular books :)

message 31: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Anything by Jodi Picoult. Especially after I broke down & read House Rules which I actively disliked (probably because I have a child with Aspergers).

message 32: by Mary (last edited Mar 26, 2011 09:44AM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Christie wrote: "I don't want to read most popular books :)"

Me, neither! It's rather depressing to look at "Best Sellers" lists and see all the books I automatically don't want to read*--the American Reading Public at Large is so hopelessly banal! Thank goodness for GR, I have discovered many, many books I otherwise might never have heard of!

*exceptions would include Michael Connelly, Stephen King, John Sandford, and possibly Jonathan Kellerman---hey, I need the occassional escape lit romp as much as the next poor Schmoe on the bus!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Ellie wrote: "I feel the same way about King-I liked some of his early work a lot, including Carrie. And I think The Shining is a very well-written novel. But once he was churning them out, I lost all interest. ..."
Yes, Misery was so gruesome it pulled you in..and altho the movie wasn't Oscar material..Kathy Bates sure could play the "there's nobody home" psycho..I've always liked her even tho the recent foray into series TV with Harry's Law doesn't really use her talents well, I rewatched Fried Green Tomatoes a couple nights ago..What a movie! Great cast including Kathy Bates. Boy, I'm off topic here.

message 34: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I love Kathy Bates-And Fried Green Tomatoes.http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...#

I just followed you right off topic-but into great movie memories' land!

message 35: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I love Coquelin's list of book genres to avoid and agree with the majority of them. The "Twilight" craze borders on ridiculous and the only vampire book I would read is the original Dracula by Bram Stoker.......but that is what makes the reading public so diverse. If we all liked the same thing it would be a pretty boring world.

message 36: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Sadly, when looking at Best Sellers lists, it is a pretty boring world.

message 37: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Based on the BSeller list, I agree, Mary......but there are so many books that are hidden gems just waiting to be read. I don't think I have read anything on the Best Sellers list for years....maybe I shouldn't admit that,,,,,, I love obscure books or books written in the 1920/30s so when people are frothing at the mouth over some new writer, I am reading an Agatha Christie or Wilkie Collins book and loving it.

message 38: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Clemmons (caroline_clemmons) | 28 comments I don't like the Oprah books. I will never read another Luann Rice book after I read one in which the heroine struggles to recover from a broken marriage, breast cancer, and family issues; she finally gets her life together and meets a great guy who is good with her son, etc. then she dies. I was sooo angry with that book. If I wanted that kind of thing, I'd just watch the news!
But to say you don't like the best sellers is to cheat yourself. THE HELP is one of my favorite books and I can hardly wait for the author's next book.That book has been on the best seller list for over a year. It's true the list is often misleading and due to publisher hype, but I read the things I like no matter whether they are on anyone else's list. LOL I hope people will be openminded and read my books even though I'm sad to say they definitely are not on the bestseller list.

Caroline Clemmons
www.carolineclemmons.com

message 39: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Clemmons (caroline_clemmons) | 28 comments Debbie wrote: "I felt the same way with Twilight. My daughter (not a reader)began reading it, because of a school requirement, and I read along to see what the hype was and how to respond to her reaction. It took..."

I'm so glad you read along with your daughter. What a good mom you must be!

Caroline Clemmons
www.carolineclemmons.com

message 40: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Clemmons (caroline_clemmons) | 28 comments Jill wrote: "Based on the BSeller list, I agree, Mary......but there are so many books that are hidden gems just waiting to be read. I don't think I have read anything on the Best Sellers list for years....mayb..."

Have your read the books by Rhys Bowen, Carola Dunn, and M. winspear set in that time period? Lovely little cozies. Bowen and Dunn have several series, so check to make sure you have one of the period ones. I love Bowen's Royal Spyness series especailly.

Caroline Clemmons
www.carolineclemmons.com

message 41: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Clemmons (caroline_clemmons) | 28 comments Ellie wrote: "I love Kathy Bates-And Fried Green Tomatoes.http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...#

I just followed you right off topic-but into great movie memorie..."

The movie was great, but it was only a few chapters of a great book.

Caroline Clemmons

message 42: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Clemmons (caroline_clemmons) | 28 comments Michele wrote: "Back when Opera was giving book suggestions, I tended to avoid her books (except when they were classics) like the plague. I don't want to read Water for Elephants, or The Help. They probably are ..."

Do read both those books. THE HELP is a favorite of mine. WATER FOR ELEPHANTS is complex and at times hard to read, but poignant.
Caroline Clemmons

message 43: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) It's true-but I wouldn't have read the book, if not for the move. :)

I agree about best sellers. For years I avoided the list & I still don't read a book just because it's on the list. But neither do I avoid a book just because it's on it. There are wonderful old books and trashy ones as much as there are both wonderful & trashy new ones. And some masterpieces were unappreciated during their author's lifetime and some were huge successes.

I tend to listen to recommendations of friends who have similar taste to mine & also to read book reviews-often I know I want to read a book that gets a not-so-good review by things the critic writes & I've discovered many books I love that way.

I also often feel that I won't like a book a critic loves because of their reasons. And when I've tried the book, I usually discover my surmise was correct.

But there's no absolute way for me to tell if I'm going to like a book. That's part of the fun for me.

message 44: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne | 11 comments When I hear people gushing about a book... I usually lose interest in it. If everyone loves loves loves it, I don't want it. That happened with The Da Vinci Code and Twilight - strangely enough, when I was forced to read it (as my son wanted to read it and I wanted to make sure they are appropriate) I loved them! Also: the Historian - everybody wants me to read it and I even have it at home...but I haven't opened it yet. :)

message 45: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I tried the Da Vinci Code & couldn't make it through the first chapter. People warned me that as a Catholic I would be offended, so of course I had to read it but I wasn't offended, just bored. So now I don't want to try the other works.

Maybe someday, after I've read everything else I want to, I'll try again. lol

message 46: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) Caroline wrote: "Jill wrote: "Based on the BSeller list, I agree, Mary......but there are so many books that are hidden gems just waiting to be read. I don't think I have read anything on the Best Sellers list for ..."

I have indeed read Bowen and Dunn but not Winspear....I will look for that author. Thanks for the tip.

message 47: by Louise (last edited Mar 27, 2011 02:08PM) (new)

Louise | 280 comments Ellie wrote: "I love Kathy Bates-And Fried Green Tomatoes.http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...#

I just followed you right off topic-but into great movie memorie..."

Ohhh the part where she smashes up the two bimbo's car and goes "I'm older and better insured" and the scene with her husband afterwards is priceless. I love that movie :-)

message 48: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Yeah - loved that scene too!

message 49: by Nichelle (new)

Nichelle (azureana) | 3 comments I stay away from Nicholas Sparks. A lot of people love him and I did read The Notebook but I didn't see that much appeal... I also stay away from most celebrity biographies- I don't like to watch them on TV either. :)

message 50: by Amber (new)

Amber (bluebleeder) | 31 comments Debbie wrote: "Amber wrote: "I've tried...really, I have...but I just don't get the appeal of Stephen King."

My Grandmother reads as much as any person I know and she just loves King. I have friends who are the same way. For someone who reads as much as I do, and with such diverse tastes, I always figured I would naturally like his books. I just always had something that was more interesting waiting to be read and never got around to any of his books. Then, I got a copy of one of his books for Christmas from my in-laws a few years back and started reading...and only got about 16 pages in. I had to push myself to get that far. I figured that was a sign and just have not been interested in giving any of his work a try since then.

« previous 1 3 4